All of a sudden...I'm in the ER | FerrariChat

All of a sudden...I'm in the ER

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 11506apollo, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    3 weeks ago, I felt pain coming from bladder. Urine retention, no BM, fever joint pain, ,etc. ER I went. MRIs, scans, blood tests, spinal tap, etc etc.
    Long story short...2 weeks in two hospitals in Houston.diagnosed with NMO. not fun. Numbness on legs, not feeling much from waist down, tingling, lack of strength. This is an immune system issue, where my spinal chord gets inflamed due to an attack of certain proteins. what triggered it? nobody knows. Could have been a virus, or infection improperly cured. Treated with Steroids for 7 days and released last week. Symptoms have decreased substantially but still feel some numbness.
    From where I was 3 weeks ago, I am OK because I can walk (almost normal (with a little wobble), I can drive (carefully) and to me mobility and not becoming a burden is very important. NMO can make you wake up paralyzed and blind. out of the blue! I am blessed to have gotten a relatively mild case of this thing, with no effect in my vision (knock on wood). Starting PT to regain muscle mass, strength and agility. This thing made me rethink. Made me value little things, value everyday and feel blessed for each and everyday we have. Not sure if I will ever be able to ski again, but I've skied for solid 20 years, so I would be happy either way. I just want to see my grandkids (2 on the way!!!!!) and walk, and ride my bicycle, and of course drive my 3 pedals cars. take nothing for granted my friends! Cheers folks.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG I'm glad you're feeling better.

I had a similar experience some years ago. Felt run down, pain in my left wrist. Really tired. I go to the ER. They run some an EKG on me -- seems Ok. They call up a cardiologist just to be safe.

The cardiologist says he wants to do a scan on me in the morning. Nothing to worry about.

They poke up a camera from by groin to my heart. I'm looking at the monitor. The doctor says to me: "I'm scheduling you for open heart surgery immediately. If you leave this hospital now you'll be dead in a week".

Ooops. Not even time to make a phone call. Next morning at six a quad bipass. Months of therapy. Now I feel great.

You will to but it does change your views of what's important. Never forget that and never give up!

3. Tims16M

Tims16M Karting

May 14, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Glad to hear you are recovering. Sounded extremely scary. These autoimmune syndromes just appear from nowhere and can be difficult to diagnose. Anyway life's events can make you appreciate the little things we sometime take for granted. Take care.

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow. Scary story. Glad you're ok

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Missed this.

Get well soon!

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Auto-immune diseases are very difficult. My sister has something called pemphagus. I watched it destroy her high school years. She's doing a lot better now. The key is to take it serious and be proactive. I wish you all the luck in the world. Stay healthy!

7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    thanks folks. feeling better. still some lingering numbness in toes, and tingling in fingers, but Physiotherapist kicked me out of TIRR, which is good. will repeat MRIs later this month.

8. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Wow! Glad you went to the ER when you did.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Smart move not to ignore your feeling and symptoms. Very nice to hear that worked out well and as always timing is everything. Thanks for sharing!!

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Hoping for complete and final progress with this for you! Here's to more good living and driving!

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for your post- it is important to remember the little things in life that are important! I sincerely hope you are on your way to 100% VERY SOON!!

-Andrew

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Glad your doing well - it's crazy how these out of the blue problems can cost u you life - but as you know it makes seeing those grand kids even more special - the only problem, in my experiences, it that each really serious close call takes a little out of you and if your older you don't quite come back all the way

13. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hang in there Apollo. Find inspiration to stay healthy and celebrate each day...whether driving or just taking time to be in nature or with family and friends. Best of luck!