All New Year celebrations cancelled in Dubai! | FerrariChat

All New Year celebrations cancelled in Dubai!

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Skyler, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Wow -- Lets try to have a non-political discussion so it doesn't get closed

http://www.gulf-news.com/nation/Government/10271287.html

One can only imagine the financial implications for business owners when such a decision is made (without any consideration for these businesses, of course).
    Gotta love Dubai... Announcing the cancellation of arguably the biggest entertainment night of the year.

I heard Tom Cruise was hosting an event at the Atlantis for New Years? Wonder how he will feel...

I understand the reason... but still think it is a crock of ****. What is cancelling New Years celebrations going to do? Especially for an emirate that prides itself on their thriving entertainment industry...

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I hear the real estate market in Dubai is already in the tank

This wont help pull it out

3. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    #3 BANANA, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    So far 386 dead, 1750 injured in 72 hours and increasing. Schools, mosques, police stations and homes destroyed. The cancellation of the new year celebrations is the least any arab can do.

4. cayenne_ksa

cayenne_ksa Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    denver, SAUDI
    The reason simply is to show respect for people in Palestine specially and all Moslems. Of course you wouldn't make big new year party when your Mam or wife died a day or two before NY. It's all about respect and about Moslems being brother. I know it is a big lost for a lot of people there, but I'm sure this got such big appreciation from a lot of people at the same time and maybe from some of the business owner.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This means that Dubai will be stuck in 2008 for another year.

At least they can use their current calendars for another year.

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Cayenne_ksa's sentiments are exactly right... it's not a question of 'who is losing what' by not celebrating New Year's Eve... it's a matter of how Arabs can bring attention to what is a VERY bad situation in Gaza right now between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

I would remind everyone that there are two sides to every story.

Mike in Kuwait

7. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    UPDATE:

I have tickets to a concert for a famous arab singer performing in a hotel in dubai tonight. I just called the hotel and they informed me that the party is still going on tonight. I guess not everyone is abiding by what sheikh mohammed requested.

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Wow that sure hosed down the party. Can you blame them for cancelling? Not really a party atmosphere when neighbours are being blown to bits.

Skyler I think you are a bit incensitive. What value does a loss to business have against a loss of life?

9. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    +1

10. ojbj

ojbj Karting
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2008
    When I read the title, I thought it was because of a terrorist threat. I really think Dubai will be the next big target--right across the water from Pakistan, tons and tons of huge targets, virtually no security just like Bombay, symbol of Islamic values pushed aside for Western influences/vices, etc., etc.

Interesting move by Maktoum. I am surprised that the hotel is still going ahead. Maybe it's a recommendation or request rather than an order/edict? Maybe discreet celebrations behind doors are ok, but public celebrations are not? Anyone have more details?

As far as how Tom Cruise feels, lol, do you really give a ****?

11. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Mike,

I could not have said it better myself!!!!

As Mike said ... "Two sided to ever story".

Thanks,
    UZY

12. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Hi AR,

I guess my original post did come across very insensitive now that I read it again. I apologize for that.
    FWIW, most parties were still on, but they were not "New Years" parties, just a regular night. I still heard many people do a big countdown and lots of screaming and shouting at 12.

What I was really trying to get at is that there are much better ways to bring attention to the situation in Gaza than to cancel "New Years" - Which wasn't really the case anyway (see above).

My original point was that given the economy is in a slump right now, many businesses in the entertainment industry were looking forward to a big new year celebration. -- Yes I understand its not exactly a party atmosphere when people are getting slaughtered not so far away. However, there are many tourists/visitors here that don't share those sentiments. Dubai promotes its entertainment industry a lot; dont you think it's a slight bit unfair?
    The point about Tom Cruise's party... not really that big of a deal. When you have so many foreign property investors here, would you really want to give off the image that you can care less about them? Not everyone is as understanding as you...
    The whole thing comes off more as a "We will do what we want, when we want to". Rightfully so, but does not create a very friendly/tourist catering atmosphere -- Something they are trying very hard to do. Kind of the opposite, isn't it?

Also, the incident in Gaza began on the 27th, but the announcement was made on the evening of the 30th (?) a bit confusing.

I'm just offering another point of view. I do pray for those lives lost, but I don't think they have made the right decision. Like I said earlier, I agree with the reasoning behind it, but disagree with the plan of action.
    IMO, 5 minutes of silence at Midnight to remember the lives lost would have been a lot more effective; perhaps followed by a "dry day/week".

On a side note, IMO those who felt stongly about whats happening in the world (Gaza) could (and would) have refrained from celebrating regardless.

Either way, have a good and safe New Year; hope you spend it with close ones.

13. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    unfortunately, cancelling New Years won't affect the peace process...

14. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Skylar

I understand what you are saying but to be honest with you I think it was the right decision. One of the problem with current world leaders is they dont have enough balls. They are so wrapped up in the game of politics and trying to do what is popular as opposed to what is right. Maktoum has the guts to take a stand instead of giving lip service. Plus if anything it shows the terrorists out there that despite dubai being more western than eastern, they too feel the pain of the Palestinians.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It just might. The most praised form of eloquence is silence when speech isn't wise.

16. TTM-BUL

TTM-BUL Karting

Dec 18, 2006
    From the media I've seen it seems like Dubai is canceling their celebration in honor for the one that started the fight.

17. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Try picking up a history book and educate yourself and then decide on who started the fight instead of watching FOX or CNN.

If I took over your house and made you live in the toilet without a door or window and your food, electricity and movement is controlled by me for the last 60 years I am sure you would do everything in your power no matter how weak you are to regain your house, your dignity and your freedom.

18. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I though this was not a political site?

19. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    how many Ferraris are in Dubai anyway? (changing the subject :))

20. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    This whole thread is a political one. The fact the new year celebrations were cancelled in dubai is politically motivated.

21. TTM-BUL

TTM-BUL Karting

Dec 18, 2006
    So Israel is the fault for ALL of their problems and none of it stems from a terrorist run government? I'm sure there is another side to this story.

22. sozzel

sozzel Karting

Jan 10, 2008

Hello Mr Extremist.

23. sozzel

sozzel Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Maybe some of you fans should have a read of this:

[The land wasn't stolen by anybody. Jews have always lived in the land since biblical times, though in the 19thC they were in the minority.
    The Jewish pioneers did not steal the Land from the Arabs. This deceit was propagated by Arafat's Nazi Uncle, Muhammed Amin al-Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem. They purchased the Land at highly inflated prices from absentee Turkish landlords living outside the Land. As the Jews worked the Land, it began to prosper. While there were Jews and Arabs living in the Land, there were many poor migrant Arab farm workers in the surrounding Arab countries who needed work. When they heard that the Land was prospering under the hand of the Jews, they migrated to Palestine to get work from the Jews. Furthermore, the British allowed many thousands of Arabs into Palestine illegally while barring the Jews from entering the Land. For the most part, the Arab Palestinians are these peasant farm workers and illegal aliens.

Incidentally, why should the 'Palestinians' have any claim to the Land? They haven't existed in nearly three thousand years!

Palestinian is simply the Latinisation of the word Philistine. In the 1stC, The Romans called it this in an effort to remove any Jewish association with the Land. "Palestinians" have never been a distinct people, they have never had a sovereign land called Palestine, Jerusalem has never been their capital, there is no Palestinian language or culture, and there is no Palestinian people. It is an invented historical and anthropological myth created after the Jews liberated Jerusalem in 1967.( The only Palestinian state is the Hashemite ruled one that exists already demographically and geographically in Jordan. As both Arafat and Hussien admitted in 1970 - Jordan is Palestine)

And if you doubt what I say is true then please consider this:

"The Palestinian people [do] not exist. The creation of a Palestinian state is only a means for continuing our struggle against the state of Israel for our Arab unity. In reality today there is no difference between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese. Only for political and tactical reasons do we speak today about the existence of a Palestinian people, since Arab national interests demand that we posit the existence of a distinct 'Palestinian people' to oppose Zionism.
    For tactical reasons, Jordan, which is a sovereign state with defined borders, cannot raise claims to Haifa and Jaffa. While as a Palestinian, I can undoubtedly demand Haifa, Jaffa, Beer-Sheva and Jerusalem. However, the moment we reclaim our right to all of Palestine, we will not wait even a minute to unite Palestine and Jordan." (PLO executive committee member Zahir Muhsein, March 31, 1977, interview with the Dutch newspaper Trouw.)]

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Watch it, buddy.

25. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    One could in the same way call the Israeli govt a terrorist run government.
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
    Extremist? Why what did he say? I thought he summed up pretty well what had happened. It would be much better if we could have this discussion without the verbal diarrhoea.

I read your next post too which is interesting. But you do make it sound like there were no muslims in the land. But your argument is flawed. I own a fair bit of land, but it doesnt give me the right to set up and set up state anywhere. Not forgetting that Israel has taken more lands over the years, and continues to today. How much land is enough, and how much innocent blood needs to be shed for it?