Alfa Romeo Sauber | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Sauber

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 7, 2018

Upcoming season not ugliest says Vasseur

Frederic Vasseur has played down two of the biggest controversies in F1 at present.

Many believe that the introduction of the 'Halo' and the banning of 'grid girls' means that 2018 could be a particularly ugly season at the pinnacle of motor sport.

"They are two different things," Sauber boss Vasseur told the Swiss newspaper Blick.

"The grid girls are replaced by grid kids and I like that," the Frenchman said. "And Halo is about safety, and in a serious accident we will be very grateful for it."

So when asked if Liberty Media is destroying the DNA of F1, Vasseur answered: "Nothing has changed on the track so far. Only in marketing.

"Even the new start times will not turn F1 upside down."

As for the Swiss team he leads, Vasseur said the Hinwil factory is working overtime to put the 2018 car together ahead of the first test in just under three weeks.

"We will be faster, but in 2017 we were far behind," said the Sauber team principal.

"We want to fight in the midfield but we must not forget that this is a long-term project."

Vasseur said 50 new staff are being added to the workforce of 420, amid great optimism about the new title sponsorship by Ferrari-linked Alfa Romeo.

"They identify with us and want to keep Sauber as a brand," he said. "It is probably the first time since the BMW time that Sauber has such a good opportunity."

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    concerning statement.

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 19, 2018

Leclerc relishes F1 debut for Alfa

Charles Leclerc says he is relishing his new role as a works 'Alfa' driver.

The reigning Formula 2 champion has been signed up for 2018 by Sauber, the Swiss team now run by a boss from his junior days, Frederic Vasseur.

"I've known Charles since his karting days," Vasseur told France's Auto Hebdo.

"I'm happy because this is the first driver I've had in the junior categories that I now work with in F1."

Vasseur said Leclerc's approach to his Friday duties last year was particular impressive.

"He did not miss a single debriefing," he revealed.

"I will not mention anyone, but there were others who would have returned to the hotel. All the drivers are fast, but the champions have something else as well."

Sauber is sponsored by the Ferrari-linked Italian carmaker Alfa Romeo this year.

"There are so many people telling me 'You will race with Alfa', almost forgetting about Sauber," Leclerc smiled. "But that is just the strength of a great name.

"Being part of a team with an Italian soul is beautiful," he said.

Vasseur said he is sure Leclerc will shine in 2018, but less certain is the potential of his teammate, the now experienced Swede Marcus Ericsson.

But Vasseur told Blick newspaper: "He seldom had good equipment so his chances were limited.

"But he was good in the last 10 Grand Prix. He has developed a lot, he is a team player and he gives good feedback."

For the Sauber lineups of the future, however, Vasseur has high hopes.

"I have worked with young drivers for 20 years," said the Frenchman.

"I am planning a junior academy at Sauber, probably from 2019," he revealed. "But there must be real potential, as with Charles Leclerc."

Vasseur said Sauber's 2018 car will be ready for testing next week.

"It will be at the first test in Barcelona," he said.

"In the next few days, many parts will arrive and then assembly begins. Like all the teams, we will be working until the last minute."

F2 champion Leclerc, however, told Autosprint: "It will be very difficult for me to replicate my Formula 2 season.

"Everything was perfect, both from the team and personal point of view. Now everything changes.

"Formula one is completely different from everything else. There is pressure, but not too much," he said.

4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    I really hope he does well. He definitely isn't short on talent.

jgonzalesm6 and NEP like this.
  5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Richard Mille becomes Premium Partner of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team

19 February 2018

The Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team is delighted to announce that the Richard Mille brand has joined us as Premium Partner for the 2018 FIA Formula 1 season.

Richard Mille was founded in Les Breuleux, Switzerland, in 2001, and has since established itself as one of the leading global luxury watch brands. Complementing motorsport’s high-precision, fast lifestyle, Richard Mille comes to the forefront of the sport as Premium Partner of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team.

The Richard Mille logo will be featured on the sides of the monocoques of both C37, as well as on the team gear and driver overalls.

Frédéric Vasseur, Team Principal, Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
    “We are very pleased to announce our partnership with Richard Mille as new Premium Partner of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. Working together with such a prestigious brand in the pinnacle of motorsport is rewarding for the team as well as the sport. We look forward to our collaboration in the upcoming season.”

Richard Mille, CEO of Richard Mille:
    “As both a passionate aficionado and long-time advocate of motorsport, I’m incredibly pleased and proud to announce our partnership with the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team and accompany Marcus Ericsson and Charles Leclerc, who has been a member of the Richard Mille family for several years, for their upcoming season in Formula 1.”

About Richard Mille:
    The first watch to carry Richard Mille’s name, the RM 001 Tourbillon, launched the millennium: the year was 2001, and the model marked the beginning of a new era in watchmaking. Today, the collection points resolutely towards the future, while holding stead fast to the time-honored traditions of fine watchmaking. Richard Mille endeavored to apply the techniques and materials found in the most innovative sectors such as in the domains of F1 racing car development and the aerospace industry to watchmaking, with the goal of creating an extreme timepiece, without compromise, without gimmicks.

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/richard-mille-becomes-premium-partner-of-the-alfa-romeo-sauber-f1-team-2

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Difficult diet gave Ericsson 2018 boost

APRIL 11, 2018

Marcus Ericsson says losing weight over the winter helped him end his F1 points drought.

Bahrain was the Swede's 78th grand prix, but it also almost marked the 50th race in a row in which Ericsson failed to score points.

Told by Blick newspaper that he had ended the nightmare run just in time, 27-year-old Ericsson said: "Exactly."

Ericsson told Finland's Ilta Sanomat newspaper that his performance boost came after he lost weight over the winter.

"I dropped 5 kilograms," he revealed.

"It meant no carbs, no desserts, no alcohol. It was difficult, but it was worth it and has made a big difference. 10kg less is 3-4 tenths per lap," Ericsson added.

Sauber's result means the Swiss team is now placed eighth in the championship, ahead of both Force India and dead-last Williams.

Boss Frederic Vasseur said the team still needs to improve in qualifying.

"But you can't race better than Ericsson did," said the Frenchman. "Very strong, very consistent and reliable."

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So far I´m not very impressed by Leclerc. Let´s not forget that Ericsson is a pay driver.

I hope that he gets into the groove.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Charles is the rookie with two F1 GPs to Marcus' 78 GPs under his belt.

Give him time to acclimatize and improve.

stavura likes this.
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I agree, I think last year's F2 champ LeClerc will be matching Ericcson soon.

10. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    Is there any "Alfa Romeo" content in these F1 cars, or are they only a logo on the car like any other sponsor?

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    As far as I know...none!

Considering their performance that's a good thing. I want to see a winning Alfa anyway.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not really. The engine is Ferrari.

But they bought the team late last year. Next year will be different when more money is poured into the system. Sauber was on poverty row for years.

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Leclerc plays down Senna, Schumacher comparisons

MAY 22, 2018

Charles Leclerc has played down any comparisons being made between him and true F1 greats.

The Monaco-born driver made his formula one debut this year with Sauber amid suggestions he is set to become a future Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna.

"Of course it's a great honour to be associated with those names already," Leclerc, 20, said ahead of his first home grand prix in the Principality.

"But I try to ignore this sort of thing because I still have a lot to learn in formula one," the Ferrari-backed reigning F2 champion added.

But even Alain Prost, a F1 legend and quadruple world champion, has praised Leclerc.

"That gives me a lot of confidence as well," Leclerc said in an interview with Blick newspaper. "We've known each other for a long time because he has a house in the south of France."

And he said duelling on track with another great like Fernando Alonso is also helping him.

"When you fight with such an aggressive driver and a two-time world champion, you will learn twice as much as you do with most other drivers," said Leclerc.

"And Fernando started at the back too, with Minardi," he smiled.

2018 actually didn't start easily for Leclerc, but he says he is finally getting up to speed in formula one now.

"The more information you have about the car, the more confidence you get," he said. "Maybe that was missing in the first two races. You make mistakes.

"In addition, the jump from Formula 2 to formula one is much bigger than you can imagine. The tyre management is a science in its own right," Leclerc added.

375+ likes this.
  14. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    While he didn't impress right out of the box, LeClerc has been consistently improving. I've been impressed at the way he handles himself in interviews - very mature, very humble. I look forward to seeing more of him.

stavura, 375+, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  15. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Agreed, he could turn into something special, and for now it's great to see ALFA ROMEO scoring points.

stavura, 375+, NEP and 1 other person like this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    tifoso2728, NEP and trumpet77 like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Charles, we love you..but change the suit!

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Did LeClerc just roll out of bed?

20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I wondered the same thing. Ahh...todays youth. You'd think he would be in his "Sunday's best" when meeting the Prince of Monaco and would have combed his hair to some extent. At least he did'nt wear a hoodie.:eek:

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Simone Resta is the new Technical Director of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team

28 May 2018

We are pleased to announce that Simone Resta has been appointed as the new Technical Director at the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. The renowned F1 Engineer joins the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team from Ferrari where he was covering the position of Head of Vehicle Project Coordination. Simone Resta will take over from the 1st of July 2018 and will report directly to Frédéric Vasseur.

Frédéric Vasseur, CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG and Team Principal of Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
    “Simone Resta has the best profile to take on the role of Technical Director. His arrival at Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team marks a significant step ahead of a long term project that aims at strengthening the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team in order to achieve ambitious results.”

https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/simone-resta-is-the-new-technical-director-of-the-alfa-romeo-sauber-f1-team

22. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Rumour - Alfa Romeo shaping up to buy Sauber
    Published on 04 Jun 2018 09:25
    [​IMG]

Sauber looks to be moving ever closer together with Ferrari.

Already Ferrari-powered, the Swiss team is this year being title sponsored by Alfa Romeo, which like Ferrari is a Fiat Chrysler brand.

It was already conspicuous that Sauber's new technical boss, replacing the ousted Jorg Zander, will be Simone Resta, who until now was Ferrari's long serving chief designer.

And now, Handelszeitung reports that Sauber's ownership has changed.

For the past two years, Sauber has been owned by the mysterious investment company Longbow Finance.

But now, ownership of the Hinwil based team has been moved into a company called Islero Investments.

"Islero Investments has taken over the position of Longbow Finance," said Longbow's boss Pascal Picci.

The big rumour is that the change could be a precursor to Alfa Romeo taking over Sauber completely. Handelszeitung said a delegation of Sauber staff is scheduled to visit Ferrari's Maranello headquarters.

Picci insisted: "Sauber will remain independent for the foreseeable future."

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't know why people keep repeating this, but Ferrari is NOT part of Fiat Chrysler Automotive .

Since 2014, when FCA was formed, Ferrari was separated for the group, and re-created as an independent public company.
    Marchione arranged that split to protect Ferrari from any financial woes suffered by FCA.
    At the time of the Fiat-Chrysler merger, both manufacturers were loss-making, and the only company making profit was Ferrari.

Ferrari N,V is now a Dutch company completely independent from Fiat, Alfa, Chrysler, etc...

24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    In F1, the forseeable future is usually not much beyond the next race weekend.

william likes this.
  25. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I did not write the headline and although it is not a FCA brand, FCA shareholders have 80% of Ferrari stock.

'In January 2016, Ferrari became a separate investment of Exor, siding with FCA and CNH, after FCA listed 10% of the company on the NYSE in October 2015, and then distributed their remaining 80% stake in Ferrari to FCA shareholders. Ferrari now trades on the NYSE under the ticker symbol "RACE." [8]'

'FCA shareholders are entitled to receive one common share of Ferrari for every 10 FCA common shares held. In addition, holders of FCA mandatory convertible securities are entitled to receive 0.77369 common shares of Ferrari for each MCS unit of $100 in notional amount. The Ferrari common shares outstanding following the separation are 188,923,499, while the issued common shares in the capital of Ferrari are 193,923,499.[1] In addition FCA shareholders participating in the company's loyalty voting program will receive one special voting share of Ferrari for every 10 special voting shares of FCA held. The Ferrari special voting shares issued and outstanding as of completion of the separation are 56,497,618. Special voting shares are not listed and cannot be traded.'

About 28% of Ferrari NV stock is owned by Exor.