Alfa Romeo NEWS 2017-2020 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo NEWS 2017-2020

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Oct 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    BTCC: Austin tops BTCC test in brand new Alfa Romeo

27 Mar 2018

Rob Austin and HMS Racing fire an early warning shot after topping the British Touring Car Championship Media test during the Alfa Romeo Giulietta's official maiden track appearance at Donington Park.

Rob Austin has marked the HMS Racing Alfa Romeo Giulietta's official maiden track appearance by setting the quickest time during the British Touring Car Championship pre-season test at Donington Park.

Austin ended the official four hour test quickest of all by 0.164s ahead of Motorbase Performance's Tom Chilton, racking up 48 laps in the process as the HMS Racing outfit continue to gain all important mileage with the brand new Alfa Romeo.

In a session which was littered with numerous red flags, Speedworks Motorsport's Tom Ingram had led the way as the test entered its final hour. However, Austin rose to the top during the climax of the running after producing his best time [1 minute 10.074s] within his final run.

Behind the top two, last year's runner-up Team BMW's Colin Turkington completed the second highest mileage total of the afternoon, while setting the third quickest time between the two Motorbase Ford Focus RS machines.

BTCC returnee Sam Tordoff backed up his team mate Chilton's impressive pace by completing the top four order in fourth ahead of the second West Surrey Racing BMW 125i M Sport of Andrew Jordan in fifth.

Another driver embarking on 2018 with different machinery, Josh Cook negotiated his first official outing in the Vauxhall Astra with apparent ease after marking his return to Power Maxed TAG Racing by setting the sixth quickest time ahead of WIX Racing's Jack Goff in seventh.

Although Goff emerged from the four hour test as the top Honda runner, it was his stoppage during the final 15 minutes, which ultimately brought the session to an early end.

Adam Morgan, Tom Ingram and Chris Smiley completed the remainder of what proved to be a highly competitive top-ten order with just 0.568s separating the first ten cars.

Elsewhere, BTCC rookie Dan Cammish impressed on his first appearance for the factory Honda outfit as Gordon Shedden's replacement by near enough matching his four time BTCC champion team mate Matt Neal's time in 14th position.

Neal and Cammish completed 87 laps between them as the Team Dynamics outfit continue to develop the brand new Honda Civic Type R, which was launched in its race livery earlier today.

Further down the order, it was a low-key start to proceedings for reigning champion Ashley Sutton after the Subaru driver set the 20th fastest time, 1.1s off the ultimate pace.

https://www.crash.net/btcc/news/892466/1/austin-tops-btcc-test-brand-new-alfa-romeo

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Another article on the 6C. I am not sure it will look like a Giulia. I trust our source more than the British auto press!!! An Alfa Romeo Jaguar F-type competitor would be wonderful. I wish they would make a normally aspirated V6 version with an HY-KERS like system, maybe a 2.5 version. Ferrari would also be smart if they did that also. Can you imagine a 2.5 N.A. V12 Ferrari with HY-KERS or some kind of other hybrid system. Their V8 Turbo 488 leaves a lot to be desired in the sound department. Forget the turbo's. We need Italian all alloy normally aspirated howling motors again, and now they have a way to do it!!!

https://www.autoedizione.nl/alfa-romeo-giulia-coupe-heet-mogelijk-gtv/

"There are many wild rumours circulating about the upcoming coupé based on the Giulia. For a while, this model has been talked about, that as it were, the time should kill until the big SUV in the highest segment, or just a more compact one, will be a fact. The British coach reported this week that it knows exactly what is coming and when. Sprint or GTV (the latter has popped up more often in recent years) is a possible name, but the main issue concerns one of Ferrari source system (Energy Recovery System) to jack up the power up to 650 hp. This to the top of the range Competitive Coupé's of German workmanship. Whether this rumor is based on facts, or just a suggestion to support a handsome ' render ' (image below) with a good story we don't know. However, we know that in the run-up to the collaboration with Sauber, we have been talking from FCA-ranks about using F1 technique on future Alfa Romeo products. If only to increase the link with F1 more and to continue to emphasise the brand image of technical inventiveness.

That the Giulia coupé is coming is pretty sure even though there is of course no official confirmation until June 1. On a leaked sheet of FCA's industrial plan with Alfa Romeo to 2022, he is not able to detect it either, but that may be due to the fact that there are only totally new products listed and no model variants. It becomes a Giulia door which can roll together with the sedan in Cassino from the band. Such a model can further help Alfa Romeo in the US market by expanding the image of high quality and therefore premium product.

The top Model with hybrid system from F1 (derived from Ferrari's HY-KERS, image above) will be available on two versions of the Giulia Coupé/GTV according to coach. namely the VELOCE with 350 hp (previously announced for the Giulia ' mild hybrid ') and the Quadrifoglio with standard 510 hp (with ERS thus 650 hp). Of course, the range of the coupé will be expanded to include engines that we already know from the range of the Giulia and the Stelvio. In 2019 the coupé is on the market. So next year, so a debut at a European motor show this year is already possible and otherwise in Geneva anyway. One point that the uncertainty for the time being still persists is the total absence of camouflaged test specimens on the public road (at least as far as the bodywork is concerned). Let's say that this summer is a good starting point and who knows we see on 1 June at Balocco already what. After all, this could even be driven around by the press in a new product after the presentation of the production plan for the next four years."

3. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Sources inside the company say right now Alfa and Maserati are the Tim Kuniskis show, a lot significantly powerfully people have transferred around or out within the company (Alfa and Maserati are effectively one company). On the positive side Kuniskis is the man behind the dodge demon and hellcat, so that could mean a push towards standout performance. (However at dodge he didn’t have Ferrari sitting above him in the peaking order).

On the negative is the Chrysler mentality and the influx of their personnel into the positions previously occupied by Italians.

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR by Romeo Ferraris complete WTCR debut

April 11, 2018

The urban track of Marrakesh hosted the inaugural round of the World Touring Car Cup, the new intercontinental series that opens a new era in touring car racing, with the presence also of two Alfa Romeo Giulietta TCR by Romeo Ferraris, entered by Team Mulsanne. Weather conditions were very different from what expected, with the rain coming to disturb the work plans on Saturday morning. Respectively 23rd and 25th in Qualifying, Fabrizio Giovanardi and Gianni Morbidelli managed to climb many positions throughout Race 1. Nevertheless, Giovanardi was eventually involved in a contact that damaged the radiator of his car, while Morbidelli was forced to retire in the lap before last.

On Sunday, with better weather conditions, the drivers confirmed their starting positions and repeated the excellent first part of the race in both Race 2 and Race 3. Again, though, this did not finalize in good results. Morbidelli was out of Race 2 by a contact, while in Race 3 he was stopped by a puncture when he was 15th and chasing rivals ahead him. Giovanardi finished Race 2 in 14th, and was again climbing through the field in Race 3 when his race came to an end because of the effects of several contacts.

Michela Cerruti, Romeo Ferraris Operations Manager
    “Without any doubt, it has been an eventful weekend. In terms of performance, we were not expecting to be the fastest but we were certainly penalized by the rain encountered in free practice. Coming from a different environment, we have been faced with teams that are already well-organized while we and Team Mulsanne still have to grow as a joint organization. Fabrizio and Gianni have done a great work to find the right direction, and without the many contacts, we would have easily made the top-15. This was certainly not the most favourable track for our cars, which has a completely different BoP in the new series. Hopefully, the forthcoming tracks should suit us better".

http://www.racecar.com/News/88396/Motorsport/Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-TCR-by-Romeo-Ferraris-complete-WTCR-debut

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Attached Files:

jm2 likes this.
  6. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Part 2 from Above:

As for the comments from other sources on the sluggish-to-react "by wire" braking system, I have experienced hints of that but only in a few instances. It's almost as if you have to adapt to the Stelvio's demeanor, not the other way around, which is fine with me because, after all, I learned how to adapt to early 911s in order to drive them fast and well. The brakes work fine when you use them with authority, and any sluggishness I've experienced has only come in stop-and-go traffic and very infrequently.

As for the power delivery of the 2.0-liter, turbocharged, 280HP 4-cylinder, the Stelvio is still very new, and I always refrain from hammering my cars until I have at least 1,000 miles on them. (I know, that's very Old School of me but that's the way I prefer to do it.) I can tell it has real juice, however (306 lb.-ft. of torque), so I'm anxious to get to the point where I can put my foot in it. Although I have experienced some hesitation under acceleration a few times, I don't fault the Stelvio. Again, I feel it's just a matter of getting a feel for what the engine responds to in order to exploit the performance. For now, the Stelvio's engine response at mid-range speeds is really good.

The most unexpected part of the Stelvio? I think the interior is quite good. Some reviewers have suggested that it's plain and uninviting, but I find it to be clean, uncluttered, contemporary and a pleasant surprise. I won't get into the complaints about the center stack that I've read about, because I am still getting to know it. We'll see how that develops. But as pleasing as the interior is to me, it also features the most glaring fault in the entire car: the shift knob. It functions properly, that's not the issue at all. It's the way it feels that is so off-putting. It has an abrasive plastic ridge component to it that wouldn't even pass muster on a PEZ dispenser, and the whole thing feels like cheap plastic because, well... it is cheap plastic. And it is simply inexcusable, shocking, actually. The True Believers who worked on this machine got it right in so many areas, I am stunned that they let this aspect go. If it was simply a cost decision, that makes it even worse.

All that being said, my initial impressions of the Stelvio are quite promising. To be continued...

(And by the way, thanks to longtime reader Mark Weaver for our Stelvio graphic!!)

7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Here's my new summer daily driver. I have to say it's the best handling sedan I've driven so far, incredibly balanced and direct. The torque and overall driving dynamics are really really good.

NEP likes this.
  8. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Alfa Romeo Readying an SUV for the Nuclear Family: Report
    By Steph Willems on May 14, 2018

We’re talking one of those 1950s Leave It To Beaver-type families, not those downsized 1980s-Racing & Trackingonward broods. Yes, the range-topping utility vehicle under development by Fiat Chrysler’s sporty Alfa Romeo division will likely boast three rows and seven seats, according to UK publication Autocar.

It’s far removed from the diminutive Alfas of yesteryear, such as the 2000 GT Veloce driven by the titular character in Shaft In Africa, but it’s necessary to seduce the space-hungry American market. It’s also just one of several new products expected to be announced by FCA boss Sergio Marchionne next month.

According to Autocar, the big announcement will come at FCA’s Balocco, Italy test track ( formerly the Alfa Romeo proving grounds).

There, Marchionne will announce a new, larger SUV based on the Stelvio platform and weighing roughly 450 pounds more than its smaller stablemate, the publication reports. Key to getting the heavier vehicle up to speed is a 48-volt electrical system aiding a mild hybrid drivetrain and electric turbocharger. The on-sale date should arrive in late 2019.

Joining the new SUV in the Alfa lineup is a model we’ve already told you about, but which isn’t yet confirmed. A Giulia coupe takes the longed-for (but problem plagued) sedan and lop offs two doors, with more than one performance hybrid powertrain on offer. A five-door sportback remains a possibility. At Alfa, hybridized engines aren’t looking to save the planet — they’re only there to add extra grunt when the driver nails the throttle, saving Alfa the expense of developing costly new engines.

It’s believed the new powertrains adopt a Formula One-style energy recovery system derived from the LaFerrari. Displacement of the existing 2.0- and 2.9-liter Giulia engines would remain the same. Power gains, at least under heavy loads, would skyrocket, from 276 brake horsepower in the stock turbo four to 345 in the mild hybrid version. The twin-turbo V6 could make as much as 641 combined bhp.

Making the greatest use of the Giulia and Stelvio’s Giorgio platform is key to FCA’s global ambitions for the resurgent Alfa brand. The slow roll-out of new models didn’t deliver the early sales figures once predicted by Marchionne, and China proved a thorn in FCA’s side. Still, the brand grew 62 percent, globally, in 2017. Thanks to greater availability of the Giulia and the recent appearance of the Stelvio, the brand’s U.S. volume grew 328 percent in the U.S. over the first four months of 2018. (That’s 7,639 vehicles, for those of you counting — over 2,000 more than the downward-pointing Fiat brand sold in the same time frame.)

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Can't be all bad news for Alfa and Maserati as they are having it at Balocco, the old Alfa Romeo test track :).

"Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' (FCA) strategy meeting Friday in Balocco near Turin, Italy, may reveal CEO Sergio Marchionne’s successor before his retirement next year and promises 5-year profit and strategy targets.

Investors will also be looking for answers to questions about the future of Jeep, Alfa-Romeo and Maserati subsidiaries, which have been subject to spinoff rumors."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2018/05/30/fiat-chrysler-meeting-will-reveal-profit-strategy-targets-and-maybe-ceo-succession-news/#6c8bae0052df

Dai Baracca likes this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    There should be a live stream of the Balocco press conference. I will try to find and post a link.

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  12. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    No actual model has announced in Balocco, just plans :(

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes it is unfortunate that they showed no new cars, but the plans are way above expectations!!! Mid engine 700 hp supercar and GTV. Wow!!!

I could live without all the SUV's but I guess you have to. Even Ferrari will do them.

NEP likes this.
  14. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Yep...But great plans, nevertheless!

I think it is time that Alfa Romeo has its own space in the forum - such as Maserati/McLaren and others.

After all, it's Ferrari's mother brand and most Ferraristi have a soft spot for the brand...And Alfa's current vitality should be embraced and supported.

Go Alfa!!

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    NEP likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Also very good news with the Alfieri Maserati moving forward!!!

Makuono likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So what engine choices on the Alfieri?? I see the main one will be electric. That will be like the be like the CC 4200's on the secondary market in 15 years, no one will want that version :)

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Alfieri all electric....Well I no longer care about that model. I want Italian noise coming from my Maserati. They are making a big mistake. This is not a Tesla, it is a Maserati. Atleast they are keeping the Alfa's hybrid with gas motors+ electric. I guess the Germans are ruling Europe and dictating what everyone will do there.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It says a long wheelbase version of the Giulia for the Chinese market. They will have to fill in the details more but I would bet it will come here also.

22. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    They will offer 3 engine types, IC, Hybrid, EV.