Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 76 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    @boxerman what Giulia model do you have? I’m debating a Ti Sport but from reading in here, some people are a little nervous of all the tech in the car. Wonder if I should go with less options

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Definitely get ti sport model. Automated driving features are in optional tech package

niklas likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I have the Ti sport. You dont have to get a bunch of options. the Ti sport has the telephone dial wheels brembos the Quad seats, itrs basicaly a 4cyl turbo quad.
    You dont need all the traffic avodance crap, radar cruise, sunroof, nav etc. In fact who uses oem nav these days.
    The stock suspesion is great and well judged, you dotn need electronic dampers. Even the stock stereo is pretty good.
    I think mine listed at 54 or something. Its just tough finding a sport TI without a bunch of extraneous crap to drive up the price.
    A particular bugbear of mine is the sunroof. Never use them, well maybe 3x per year, they just add cost weight and can go worng. I always order cars without, though on some cars if you want headlights you have to have th dreaded sunbrof.

All modern cars are computer driven and full of tech for everything from ac to brakes to wipers to engine etc reagrdless of options.
    The Alafa worked fine on day 1 and 18 months later nothing has gone wrong or needed doing, i mean nothing.

Seems the 17s had some bugs, and 18 on are bullet proof.

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Yes, lightness of feel. The steering is so amazingly quick. And the brakes on this 2021 are much better than I experienced on my 2017. What is amazing is how the 2.0 liter engine makes so much smooth power and torque way down low. When I look at the tach, I'm shocked at how few revs it takes to get there. The trans is also excellent. I missed the paddle shift a little bit today...but I'm getting good at using the shifter instead. It's just not as instantaneous...my hand still has to reach for it. I like my Porsche a lot...when traffic and road smoothness cooperate. And I love the size. But for a daily user in Los Angeles...it just wasn't working for me. The city was beating it up. Selling it to someone who will get more use out of it just makes sense. I can do the same dances on the same roads with the Giulia.

greg328 likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sport Ti had big paddles. Tranny as you say is excellent. Lots of low down TQ but it makes more good pwer with revs and sounds decent too.
    As you say the steerign is a class act. There migth be more expensive cars out there, or bigger cars, or more luxurious cars, but this imo is the best sedan money can buy for any prce..

NYC Fred and greg328 like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Amazing isnt it, 90% of the time its like why bother with somehtign more "sporty".

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    All of them are loaded with nanny technology (some government required). You have to really shop around to find the car you want. The dealers get what Alfa sends them, and the more options means the more profits. I looked at a new Ti Sprint with the paddle shift, but it had so much other stuff I didn't want and that they charged an arm and a leg for (sunroof, nero black out of all bright metal, black wheels), that I passed. When I found the car I liked, it was "zero options" perfect except for not having the paddle shift. I decided that 90% of the time I could live with that. I'm also a fan of 17" bright metal wheels. It is a simple elegant 4 door sedan, like drives better than any other car I've owned...Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, or previous Alfas. I had my 2017 Giulia on the track so I know what they can do. The new one is non-metallic black...(hard to keep clean but) stunning to look at...and this natural black is being discontinued in 2022. Boy, I'd love to be in charge of their advertising and show them how to sell Alfas in the US.

boxerman and greg328 like this.
  8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I’ve got a 2018 TI Sport Performance. Love it- have had it 2+ years no issues.

You need the Performance option to get the limited slip diff and electronic suspension. Has the Q2 trunk badge.

I bought mine 2 years ago used with 6k miles for nearly $20k off the $54k sticker- I stole it. No plans to get rid of it-so I hope Alfa succeeds here—
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbutner, niklas and johnei like this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I got a new 19 in feb 20, they were desperate enough to write it down to 38k.

greg328 likes this.
  10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good deal- these cars are an unfortunate best-kept secret in the performance car world- I hope they make a bigger splash soon or we may lose Alfa once again to these shores—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYC Fred and boxerman like this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

love this post, and agree it drives better than any other car.
    I read same chassis and streering designe/engineer did the Mc 20, looking forwards to trying one of those.
    The gulia was designed and built by people who love to drive and knew what they were doing. teh short development cycle probably means they had little interference, the result is a masterpiece..

While their advertsing is an issue, this car seems to be catching on, I see more and more about. Its like when BMW did the 2002, word of mouth amongst those in the know keeps going and others catch on..

12. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    My main wants at this point would be paddles and Quad rims. Everything else I can live without.

boxerman likes this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    They still need an infusion of good marketing...ads featuring the new Giulia police cars, and ones using CGI to insert the Giulia into scenes from famous Italian (B&W) movies, with the Giulia the only color element. The Quad is a show car, the real star (and the meat and potatoes) is the regular Giulia in its various configurations. There was a great Fiat ad where when you bought a new one, you got your own Italian couple in the back seat. It was very funny. An upscale version of that would make people understand how there is nothing like the Alfa experience...how owning and driving one starts turning people into Italians. We need Alfa to be so successful that their new French owners will feel compelled to support the brand in this country in their own financial self-interest.

greg328 and boxerman like this.
  14. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I think you'd find you can also live without the Quad rims...the 19s do nothing but make the dealers money. The 18s are far more useable. I just bought a spare tire today...for those long trips when getting a flat would be disaster as you wait hours and hours for the flat bed to arrive. A brand new 17" Alfa wheel complete with an Alfa center cap and a brand-new Bridgestone tire on it for $255, on eBay...from an auto parts and salvage yard in the San Fernando Valley.

Alfa does need a freshening on the exterior and a 50 hp boost on the basic engine...without charging extra...simply Gen 2.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great marketing ideas, peopel will notice and then the car will speak for itseslf..
    I fear the new french owners to rationalize will do to Alfa what Gm did to SAAB. Maybe theyll do a better job of it, but for various reasons quite possibly this was the last real lafa, and for the matter the first real alfa in a long while, its not as though FIAT did alfa any favors after their takeover untill Sergio decided to build the Gulia.
    If the Gulia/Stelvio platform can migrate to the new Dodge challenger as rumored, then there is maybe a rationalization to keep developing new specific Alfa platforms, an even then were entering the electric era of homogenization.
    The reason the "brand" has any staying power at the moment is because the product is so darn good, lest face it, if the gulia were not so much better than other cars it would already be effectively dead.. And Italian chassis, Italian wishbone suspension and motor, with the best box in the word from zf. It is an anomoly, Sergio gave them the keys to the vault to develop it, the timeframe meant minimal deancounter and comitte interference. It is I fear an anomoly. My personal plan would be to get a new quad before they go out of prodution and enjoy it while it lasts.

Possibly because of where it fits as an upscale brand Maserati will have acces to the development money and freedom to do what Alfa did, not to menton many of the same development personel. If youre stellantis what do you do with Alfa, where does it fit.

Yes if Alfa promoted it right and had the sales then they could write their own check, but they are where they are..

There is a future for Alfa beyond the Gulia in the elctric world. I frimly belive that in an elctric world more than ever its stying, feel, panache that will differentiatecar brands and generate sales, powertrains are going to be indistinguishable. After all one elteric appliance works the same as the oter, so how to dfferentiate, in that context Alfa potentialy has a lot going for it, there is Italian mage, and if they steer like a guila that will seal the deal.

As it is, the current car will probably be kept in production untill the new electric platforms take over. Like a dodge challenger as long as it keeps selling they'll just upgrade slowly along the way. Figure we've got untill 2025-2027 when new euro regs will pretty much ban the drivetrain. They have no reason or business case to develop a new ice car between now and then.

I like your idea of a refresh and a 50hp boost to the 4cyl to keep it fresh.

LightGuy and greg328 like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I like the telephone dial wheels a lot, and theyre easy to clean, but they dont change how the car drives. Paddles are nice, not a must have, the quad seats to me complete the package., in thats ense paddles, quad seats and telphone dial wheels combined give a different impression. Sport Ti it is then. You can find them without the other extraneous crap, you just might have to travel a few hundred miles to pick it up.

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Rarely use the paddles on mine, although it is nice to have when you feel like it. My car -- loaded Sport Ti AWD -- came with the adjustable suspension but damned if I can feel much if any difference with it on soft or off in dynamic mode.

I use that ArmorAll Outlast brake dust repellent spray on the bright 19" rims every 2nd wash and the rims stay as clean as the carbon ceramics on my California T. That stuff really works.

Mbutner likes this.
  18. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Though I'm not out and about in urban areas, and don't watch much TV, here in the hinterlands Alfa is not on anyone's radar. It feels to me like a coastal phenomenon...kinda like it's always been.....??

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I see alot of new Alfa Giulia's on the north shore right in the middle of the country, and tons of Stelvio's all over. That one seems to be the most popular in the big cities.

20. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yah but.....Chicago ain't exactly the hinterlands, aina? :)
    Sent from my SM-A102U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a sport Ti awd too, the way the awd can grip and put down the power coming out of a bend is uncanny. Mines not loaded and Ive turned off most of what else is there that beeps.
    On backroads i like the left paddle here and there to downshift and select the gear I want before adding power, when for example approaching tight bend at speed where Im planning on blasting off the apex or just being in the right revs for an approaching a curving hill. Most of the time the throttle pedal gives me the gear I need, but its nice to use the precsion of the paddle at times. That being said I never drive it in manual mode, just use auto and ocasionaly a paddle to select a gear. For me the telephone dials and quad seats completes the car, and paddles are nice to have, I find the stock suspension really well judged for the road. .

greg328 likes this.
  22. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    20 TI Sport w sunroof. My wife commented today that the gas mileage is worse than the C300 it replaced, and accurately blamed "you playing with the damn paddles"...
    I love em, and don't miss a stick at all.

Let's just say my 94 yo MIL has learned to buckle up well in the back seat...13,000 miles, zero issues.
    We're already discussing the color of the next one. Dk Grey works in NY. In FL, not so much.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On a highway run rolling along in the 70-110 I saw 27-28 mpg. Backroads highway mix about 24 mpg. Thise numbers are better than my wifes GLc 300 by about 3-4 mpg. Also 5+ mpg better than the e46 M3 driven in a similar manner.

greg328 likes this.
  24. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin