Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The fender vents in body color look much better to me than the darker ones I have seen. The white cars look fantastic, but I had my heart set on Rosso Compentizione.

2. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Both Alfa Rosso & Rossi Competizione are gorgeous in person. Picture doesn't do justice to either color. I almost bought a Alfa Rosso Coupe and I'm not a red car person.

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Rosso Competizione is the best color in my opinion. I’ve had both Rossos and the metallic in Competzione is what wins me over.

I’m passively looking for a 4C spider in that color.

carguyjohn350 and pchop like this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I bought mine the dealer just had 2 cars drop off the truck that morning in Henderson NV. LA dealers were asking 20 grand over MSRP for an LE while the Henderson dealer was selling at MSRP

The two cars were #399 and #400. 399 was the pearl white and 400 was Alfa red. Tough choice but I took the even number over the odd,

#399 was sold that week to someone in Chicago and shipped out.

pchop likes this.
  5. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I have a 4C spider in rosso competizione with cuoio seats and matching stitching. I get a lot of compliments on the color, particularly on bright, sunny days. I looked for a while before I found this exact color combo. I was also hoping for the carbon fiber halo option too, but decided that the spec that I found was close enough as it's my favorite color combo by far . . . not that I'm biased or anything ;)

I do like the new blue though.

pchop and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I noticed a 4c at Harper Alfa in Knoxville, it is a launch edition #271 I think.

7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I believe that car has been for sale for some time. The high mileage doesn't help.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I get asked about the 4c every day I drive it. Had it happen again this morning going to the grocery store.

Someone always says something and always positive. Some really know the car well, others ask who made it. Those who ask who made it have never heard of Alfa Romeo before.

The one mistake Alfa made was not to put the Alfa script in the back. The badge isn't big enough for people to read. I see people in my rear view mirror at a stop light mouthing "what is that?" as they try to look over the car.

brightoncorgi likes this.
  9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I personally would rather have the 2016 2017 for not much more money.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    #685 malex, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Meh, I like the subtly. Even if it said "Alfa Romeo" on the back, I'm not even sure it would matter. I have had the following type of dialog a couple of times though since buying the car:

random stranger at gas station: "What kind of car is that?"

me: "An Alfa Romeo 4C"

random stranger at gas station: "Really? Who makes that?"

me: "Alfa Romeo"

random stranger at gas station: "Oh, ok. But who makes it?"

pchop and TheMayor like this.
  11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I have a small pile of new parts to install on the car in the next few weeks since work should be slowing down a bit. New ceramic / carbon brake pads (to get rid of the ridiculous dusting), lift plates for the rear center lift point, skid plate for front bumper, Centerline Alfa floor mats, GPS mount, oil change, brake fluid flush, powerflex lower engine mount bushing insert, and should be getting new silver teledial wheels within a week or so.

pchop likes this.
  12. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Which brand did you go with?

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I could not make the deal I wanted so my search goes on. I have a feeling that I will not have to wait much longer with everything that is going on.

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Powerstop Z23 for fronts Z16 for rears. Bought from Summit racing (I added a K&N oil filter to get over $100 for the free shipping). Also bought a generic brake piston retractor set from Ebay for like $23 to do the rear pads.

pchop likes this.
  15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Anyone by chance have the latest black book/auction values for the 4C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    What is the low down on the 4C engine...any good?

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Basically its an all aluminum version of their Giulietta compact not sold in the US. Its been around a long time. Its also in the dodge dart including the sequential gearbox.

To keep costs and the investment low for a small volume car, Alfa did what it has always done --- use production parts, juiced them up a bit, and put them in sports cars. The Dart has up to 184 HP. The Alfa has 235HP.

So far I have not heard anything bad about the engine. Many people have boosted them to 300 -350 HP. Maintenance is really cheap as well. Annual service is about $120 to $200.

carguyjohn350, BT and slm like this.
  18. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Bill - Did you get the yellow or black version of the Powerflex bushing insert? If the latter, and once you install, let us know whether there was any increased NVH. Thanks

19. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I put the black one on my last 4C and it was noticeable but not overbearing my any means.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I bought the yellow one, but have not installed it yet. Maybe next week.

21. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Did you notice a material difference in performance (e.g. crisper shifting), i.e. not a "placebo" effect? It's a fairly inexpensive and relatively easy mod. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it and if so, why Alfa would've designed in so much flex in that mount. Thanks.

22. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    The shifts did seem better more pronounced

23. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    It is not the same engine that is in the dodge dart.

The dart has the fire 1.4L or the tiger shark engine family.

The 4c only came with the 1750 TBi.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Gearbox is from the Dart. The engine is from the Guilleta.

Robocop305 likes this.
  25. Pete-

Pete- Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    I bought one: the 1750 engine is used in various Alfas: the 159, Brera, Spider and Giulietta. The 4C has the lightest and fastest version of them. The red paint looks amazing but is so soft that you need to ppf the front bumper and the hood. I also added carbon fiber looking mudflaps because the car throws rocks all around the place and I've seen rock chips in the weirdest places. The rosso comp color looks amazing but if you ever need to repaint any part of the car you will get desperate.

I've now toyed with the car quite a bit and learned a few things. I listed them here if someone else wonders about these:

Maintenance costs:
    - Cheap. Change the oil every year and the cambelt every 4-5 years. The 4 year maintenance costs around 1500-2500 usd depending on who you find.

Easy changes to a stock car:
    1) Throw the Pirellis out of the window. Get a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and enjoy your daily driving.
    2) The steering is a pain on bad roads because of the toe out. Change the toe to neutral and the steering becomes way better. Many reviews say the car is bad because of this but it is set up for tracks and this is easy to fix. Overall the castor and camber values are quite low on a stock car so for a better fix check number 4 out.

These cost a bit:
    3) Change the sport exhaust to something else with a reasonator to remove the brain melting droning on highways: I put the Quicksilver on mine. It lowered the cabin noise, removed the droning but it sounds more aggressive to everyone else outside. (~800 usd)
    4) The front suspension geometry: I bought alignment blocks from Alfaworks UK (the race version) that add more camber (around -2) and caster (around -4) and changed the toe to neutral. Now it drives steady, corners like a beast and you can track it (~400 usd).
    5) The rear suspension arms come with rubber bushes. When the car is pushed or accelerated hard the bushes move and cause dynamic toe changes which are one of the reason why the reviews have bashed the car on track handling. The rear feels light and the car understeers if you really push it. (~1500 usd, Alfaworks UK or GMS)

These changes are quite cheap and turn the car into a reliable track car with no understeer. The understeering is prominent even on regular roads if you push the car a bit - especially on those Pirellis.