Airplane physics question | FerrariChat

Airplane physics question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by alanhenson, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Does the plane fly?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Question doesn't allow answer.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Alright fellas here it is. This is flying all over the net. I know there are lots of smart guys here so have at it. I predict a minimum of 8 pages.

Imagine a plane is sat on the beginning of a massive conveyor belt/travelator type arrangement, as wide and as long as a runway, and intends to take off. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.
    There is no wind.
    Can the plane take off?

Discuss....

2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've spent five minutes mulling this over-- the only conclusion I came to is that I now hate you. ;)

3. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    maybe i'm missing something (i'm barely reading at this stage :D ) but if there's no turbulence over the wings what's gonna make it want to defy gravity?

edit: oops, i'm using the assumption that the wheels are the driving force. but still 'no', because no matter how much thrust is applied rearward the position of the aircraft will be the same. the only thing that could happen is that there's some weird effect that comes about from a gazillion pounds of thrust going out the back and it spontaneously develops VTOL abilities do to ground effects or something :confused:

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Plane won't take off.

Why I get tired running on a treadmill is another story...

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    If I understand your poser correctly, it is a treadmill for an airplane. So just as you would feel no "wind in your face" on a treadmill, there is no "relative wind" in your scenario. Hence the airplane can't fly.

This is contrasted to an aircraft carrier like situation, where the plane sits still but the underlying surface is in relative motion versus the air even prior to the catapaults being engaged. In this situation a low take-off speed aircraft (like a Citabria) could possibly take off without even rolling or being launched by the catapault. Between the aircraft carrier moving at 20+ knots into a headwind of 30+ knots, this could achieve a relative wind of 50+ knots.

I'm not sure why this should take 8 pages to discuss.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great minds think alike Yin! - :D

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I've heard that somewhere before... :D

8. AlexL

AlexL Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would imagine, NO!

Wheelspeed wouldn't help create the airflow needed for flight.

Just a guess.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i'll chime in here, the forward thrust of the plane is generated by the turbine engines not the wheels. so if the speed of the wheels is matched by the "treadmill" the forward motion of the plane would still occur and hence the plane would still lift off.

not convinced? try this, if you have a treadmill take a toy car and with your hand push the car forward while the treadmill is on. does the car move forward? yes, why? becouse the force moving the car is external to the wheels. and even pushing the car forward the belt matches the speed of the tires otherwise the car would stop/accelerate depending which is going faster/slower.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    you're making it out to be a trick question like on fake mensa tests. i just believe it's a poorly werded question without enough parameters given which is why it's been given like 50 pages of discussion on physicsdork/aeronut forums.

in other werds, the speed of the earth exactly matches the speed at which i drive my car, but the way the question comes across is that the conveyor will actually match the speed of the wheels in exactly negative, if this actually occurs, the plane CANNOT move forward without talking about too many random things like my ground-effect theory above and stuff like tyre slip-angles and frictional efficiency.

stoopid question, the plane stays still and the passengers get pissed off coz they can't make their connecting flight. it's saturday night and i have no beer. :(

11. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    The plane absolutely takes off.....

SMG2 has it perfectly correct and well explained!!!

The engines thrust the air back, the plane will move forward...once enough forward speed is achieved where enough lift developes under the wings to overcome gravity, the planes takes to the air. This all happens IRREGARDLESS of wheel rotation.

The only thing the treadmill will do is cause the wheels to spin excessively.

15 minutes after the plane is airborn Lamour does the big-titty blonde stewardess in the bathroom.....:) :) :)

No idea what the in-flight movie is....

12. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i know i'm an idiot but explain the bit how the plane moves forward if not on the tyres.

13. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    The real question is.....when will they make a huge rolling platform that can roll down the runway at high speeds and match the planes location over the runway.....that way planes with malfunctioning landing gear can just keep their gear up and simply land on it?

yeah...word to the FAA :)

14. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Plane does not take off. Definitionally if the conveyor speed equals wheel speed then the plane can not get any ground speed. Simple as that.

However, some very astute people have noticed that planes aren't wheel driven and therefore the plane will still accelerate. True, but that just means that the wheel speed and conveyor speed both accelerate to a ridiculously high number until the bearing friction force equals the thrust force and no acceleration occurs.Then the wheel speed & conveyor speed are going to be be like 1000000mph but the plane will not take off.

If people start arguing the practically of the a tire that goes 1000000mph, then just assume the plane ends as a fiery wreck at the side of the conveyor.

15. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Okay.....let's use terms you can relate to:

Take a keg of beer and strap it to a skateboard. Put it on a treadmill. Borrow a page from the book of the Coyote who chases the road runner: strap an ACME rocket atop the keg. Light the rocket....MEEP MEEP!!!!!

Rocket ignites and pushes the keg forward. No matter what the treadmill does the wheels of the skateboard will just roll along.

We green???? ;)

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    You are right, don't let them bother you. Definitionally the plane can not take off. Now, if the problem statement is an impossible situation - that's another question entirely.

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    it is a trick question. think of the forward motion of a hovercraft, or a pontoon plane.

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Then it fails the condition of the wheel speed equaling the conveyor speed.

19. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    No chance. Would basically be the same as having a car on a dyno, and none flew away.
    Planes need lift form the wings to take off, and if there is no air/wing speed difference, it won't take off, unless of course it has en engine strong enough no to use any wings. But none of them has it, otherwise they would never "stall".

20. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Put your hand out the car window @ 60mph.

Put your hand out the window of a car on a dyno @ 60mph.

Jet engine creates thrust, moves the wheels, moves the plane and therefore forces airflow over wings creating lift.

A jet-powered automobile on a dyno would do exactly the same thing.

21. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    DING DING DING we have a winner!!!

whilst i like the beer keg theory :D the dyno one is the best analogy for us car nuts.

22. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Then it fails the condition of the conveyor moving at the same speed as the wheels.

23. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Sorry dude....doesn't work that way.

Think of the wheels and the treadmill like 2 bearings, that's all. The engines will direct their thrust backwards and the plane will move forward PERFECTLY. The treadmill will merely cause the wheels to turn twice as fast....nothing more. No warp-speed or breaking of the sound barrier.

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Dude, explain how a plane can have *any* ground speed when wheel speed equals conveyor speed. This is a constraint in the problem statement.

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    guys it really is simple. the confusion is that the question has you focusing on the one thing that has no relation to forward movement or thrust on a planes ability to fly.

cars use thier wheels for propulsion. planes use jet,prop,rocket propulsion systems. external to the landing gear.