Air Conditioning This Beast | FerrariChat

Air Conditioning This Beast

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by billg, Jul 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    My '80 400A still has the factory air conditioning components and, believe it or not, it works, in a manner of speaking, in other words, weakly. I"m in New Orleans where the summers are brutal, lot of humidity, and I can't cool the car in the daytime. At dusk and at night, the a/c works well enough, front and back. My question is, would replacing components and lines make a significant difference? With everything wedged into the engine bay, it doesn't look like it could take a bigger compressor, if there is one. By the way, it's not leaking, holding refrigerant just fine. What do you all think?

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Bill, try and locate a shop that can top up your old gas rather than go down the replacement route, we've just done a 400 upgrade and whilst it's alot better than it was, it's not as good as it could have been (if that makes sense)

3. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Check the following site for info on replacing your R-12 refrigerant with something better.

Have not yet tried it, but I will be doing so in my car in the near future.

www.autorefrigerants.com

Tom Elerding

4. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Tom, Rich Guerra recently recharged the R-12 in my car with good success. I remember him saying something about the replacement products, and some concerns that he had. It may be worth a call to him.

Brennan

5. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    I suggest you consider changing the fan for the a/c unit.
    It's probably way past its best.

Assuming the a/c system and compressor do not leak, this should have a good impact on the overall capacity of the system

Changing the refrigerant will mainly have a positive impact on the environement not on the pure performance of the a/c in my opinion (assuming there is adequate amount of gaz in system)

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 400 a/c is marginal at best.