Air conditioner recharge port | FerrariChat

Air conditioner recharge port

Discussion in '308/328' started by Portofino, Apr 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi Guys really quick one .
    Which port do you refill / top up .
    The one nearest the bulkhead ( top ) or the other lower one ?

Do I need a R12 to R 134 adaptor ?

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    If your AC works at all, run it and feel the metal end of the hoses at the compressor. The cold one is the one where you need to charge. The other side will become warm. Do not charge at the one that warms. I also notice some stampings on the head near the ports. Do they indicate which is which? Also, if you have an R12 system, you should not charge with R134.

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    It works ok ish .
    Just wondered which was which as they are both the same size ? Thought about a top up .
    The lower one says “ suction “ upside down when you lean in from the rear .

The rubber pipes look new ish even at the front under the scuttle .The joints seem glued or gummed ? Those screw threads connecting various pipes together.
    Cam belts last done at a F authorised service back end of 2016 and only approx 3000 km ago .I think they remove the pump and empty 1st .Or maybe just swing it aside ? Leaving the AC alone .

It’s new to me the car ( July last year )

R 12 ?
    Well I don’t know what’s in it and have a R134 kit .Working on Theres been some new parts etc recently so figured ( right or wrong ? ) it’s been somehow updated.
    Is that possible?
    Could it have been updated ?
    Can you still get R 12 ?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's the low pressure port where you'd add refrigerant (the other port should be labeled "discharge" or "dis" = that's the high pressure port).

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    At least here in the USA, R12 still can be legally bought and sold but only by AC technicians who are licensed to do so. It is both ozone depleting and a greenhouse gas. R12 is no longer manufactured, so only available as NOS.

Unless you want to crawl into the rabbit hole of getting your license and buying a/c servicing equipment, restoring the a/c is best left to a licensed professional familiar with R12. They are around.

They will first have to reclaim any refrigerant still in the system. If they are converting the system to R134, they will flush the system with solvent to clean it. The oils used in R12 and R134 systems are incomparable and form a gooey acidic mush.

R12 is great for cooling. R134 is much maligned but really isn't that bad (it is also a greenhouse gas btw).

6. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Thx for the reply’s guys .
    Yes I have been googling the whole R12 to R134a and visa Versa .
    R12 was discontinued way back in 94/95 there was a few years of run down and as Brian says any current R12 users are wrapped up in red tape .

Seeng as it works I,am assuming it’s been converted ? But can’t be sure ?

Any U.K. guys still knowingly still on R12 in there re 95 Ferrari’s ?

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If you're having a pro do it, they should have test equipment that can determine if R12 or 134 are currently in the system.