Air Conditioned my garage this week. | FerrariChat

Air Conditioned my garage this week.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I wanted to air condition my garage. Just Wanted a nice cool place to work on the car and keep the car stored in air-conditioning.

Improved insulation the ceiling rafters from R19 to R30 fiberglass, insulated the garage door panels with foam board. I placed small wads of fiberglass insulation between the aluminum panels of the garage door and the foamboard to create an airspace. The insulating of the garage door panels made a huge difference. I could barely touch the metal of the garage door prior to insulating as it was so hot.

While I was in the attic, I added two fluorescent strip lights over the Ferrari bay. I also added two on the other side as I have a three car garage. So now my garage lights up good and bright.

Last, I installed a portable air conditioner that has a quick disconnect and penetrates through the lower panel of my garage door. I used a standard dryer vent on the outside of my garage, clear caulked and screwed it to the garage door. Because the garage door and vent are both brown, it really is hardly noticeable. The water drains from the air conditioner via a hose that runs inside the vent pipe to the outside.

The garage was typically 90 to 92°. Now it's regularly 75° to 78° In there. Humidity is much lower as well as the portable AC dehumidifies too. Now I have a place to sleep in comfort when the wifey locks me in the garage. I've been accused of "checking on the car" a bit too much. lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
  3. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #3 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
  4. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
  5. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
  6. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Also live in SW FLA and have some of the same concerns about garage AC
    What is the cooling capacity of the portable AC unit you show there?
    Did you consider any of the split AC units like the Sanyo?

7. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #7 hensleyac, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Up to 110 pints a day moisture removal and cools 600 sf. My garage I'm guessing is a bit bigger than 600 square feet so it may work a little harder. I opted for the extended warranty knowing that it would be a touch under sized (I typically pass on them).

My house was a model home. That said, builder used garage as offices so the walls were already insulated with foam and the attic already had R19. As well, you'll see in the pic with the AC there is an outlet in the ceiling above it that I used. It was a blank cover plate. I opened it and found power so I installed an outlet. Got lucky on that!

8. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Nicely done! That's a big difference in temperature. I'd like to do the same thing some day. Thanks for posting.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What brand and model A/C unit are you using?

10. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Idylis 13000 BTU.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've installed a couple of these . You could have used a PVC toilet flange and some PVC pipe 4" and run it through the wall between two studs and that way you wouldn't need to disconnect it when you need to open the door. Next time

12. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    True, my walls are all CBS "Concrete block structure" so I would have had to drill through that. As well, I wanted it near the car and drilling through would have come out near my front door.

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I would recommend using a ductless A/C unit. Much more efficient. I installed one in my home office so I can run the office lower temp than the rest of the house during the day.

Installation of unit and outside compressor is a DIY project. Very easy to do. I then got an AC pro to come and finalize the install (pulled a vacuum, tested for leaks, etc.)

Now, I think you will pay a bit more than the portable unit you installed ... should come in around $1500 for a 14,000 BTU unit and add in misc stuff and labor for a tech, you will have to part with about $2,000 or so. But, I expect the overall efficiency and cooling will be superior.

I have had my ductless AC unit in my home office for four years now and nary a problem with it. I highly recommend these units. In fact, if I were to build a new home, I would specify ductless units in each room and not have a central ducted A/C at all. They are that good.

Regards,

Steve

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Interesting thread here, as I'm about to install a portable A/C unit in my own garage. I'm fortunate to have a place where the outlet will be easy to run, so the main problem will be getting the cars moved to gain access to the space. I'm planning on eventually moving one of the central air units into the garage when I replace the ones in the house, but the portable will sure make things nicer in the short term. I'll have to look into ductless as well. Please keep the tips coming!

15. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Still cooling well and holds pretty nicely at 75-77 degrees. I put a chair by my work bench where I back the 348 in. Pretty sure my wife is gonna bust my balls a bit when she sees that - lol. I just like to sit there when browsing ferrarichat or when I take a break when cleaning. So nice cleaning a car in cool AC!!!

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I live in the tropics and also air conditioned my garage. What a treat. It has some space for chairs, so a nice place to have coffee with a car friend or two, read car magazines. I've napped there too,

And of course working on a car is so pleasant.

Andy

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Just did a/c as well! Keeping it at 66 :D

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Nice garage, by the way, Chris.

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    A word of caution. I installed a split system in my detached garage about eight years ago. A few years later, the unit stopped working and I discovered to my horror and disgust that roaches, attracted by the moisture, had been crawling up the condensate drain pipe and nesting in the unit by the hundreds, basically ruining it. If this is at all a possibility, make sure that you have screens in place to prevent it from happening.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would be horrified as well! That is good info. My GF just had a split unit installed in an outbuilding, I will let her know about this.

21. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    That's an excellent recommendation. I think the same precaution applies to any A/C system that has a condensate drain to a location where roaches might find attractive.

Steve

22. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ewwww... I'll should add something; screen, nylon sock,etc.

Now it does have essentially a p-trap in the line that holds water. Wouldn't that keep any bugs out?

23. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    I too live in SW FLA, just bought my first Ferrari, and worried about the temperature in the garage. Did you A/C yours? If so, how did you do it with what unit and type of insulation?

24. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Something to remember about those portable A/C units, they perform like your dryer does. That exhaust hose, on the units with a single pipe as shown, that type is exhausting air out of the room to the outside its the cooling mechanism for the condenser. You have to think about where its getting that air from, the answer is from inside the room the unit is sitting in. It is creating a vacuum inside the room, ie; pulling hot outside air in through walls, windows, doors etc. You need to vent the unit to the outside or buy the units with twin tubes, one tube sucks air in to cool the condenser and the other is the hot exhaust exit tube circulating outside cooling air for the condenser. Turn your unit on and go outside and put your hand on the exhaust tube and then ask yourself where is the air coming from. I use these coolers at home and think they are great but I use the twin tube units. hope this helps

25. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Great job reducing the TEMP.
    However, I imagine installing a fixed AC system would be better for the long run, and more efficient and reliable somehow IMO. I would invite U 2 reconsider, but what U have done so far is way better than leaving your "stable" with no AC.
    All the best,,,
    TC