488 - [Advice Requested] About to pull the trigger on my first Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 [Advice Requested] About to pull the trigger on my first Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 8th_Sin, Apr 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I owned a '13 458 Spider and a '17 488 Spider. Both great cars and as others have posted drive both and you should be able to make the best decision for you. Here are my suggestions for you to consider:
    - the 458 has a great NA engine that whines like no other V8.
    -the 488 has outstanding torque that you can feel on every acceleration. It is so addicting. The top end sound is not in the league of the 458 but I enjoyed the downshifts on the 488 better. Drive them and compare for yourself
    -my 458 had a brutal A/C system. Living in FL that makes a big difference. The 488 was not an iceberg but at least it got the cabin cool enough to drive with top down when I wanted
    -no matter which car you get make sure they have a new battery installed. The Ferrari branded battery is a POS. Even though I kept it on the trickle charger when not driving I was left stranded twice
    - the best news for you is the car market is in the tank. You should be able to get an outstanding deal on either one. Be sure to negotiate hard.

Good luck

LVP488, 8th_Sin and Mighty Joe like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

strong work! that's my 400 in Verdes Ithaca.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8th_Sin and scott61 like this.
  3. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I felt the same.....I so love 458's, but the 488 just knocks me out! That's why I named her K.O. (;-))

4. Owen Edwards

Owen Edwards Karting

Apr 5, 2020
    USA
    I would buy the local 488 with 4,200 miles. It has a clean record and service history, it’s certified pre-owned and the spec sheet is a decent build. I would however take into consideration the seats. The seats in that spec aren’t too comfy for long distance road trips, they are much better than Lamborghini’s and mclaren’s but still not the greatest. And as for the 458 vs 488 debate, if you were to get a 458, MAKE SURE ITS THE LATEST MODEL THEY HAVE. I would only buy models either from 2013-2014. Any models earlier than this will be very problematic and very expensive, especially the spiders. Over time things just start to break and you end up paying for it. The 488 is much more reliable than the 458 and the technology is better. I wouldn’t normally consider the tech as a selling point but you do have to remember who owns Ferrari(fiat) and let’s be honest, the infotainment system they used in the earlier models were complete ****. The 458 will put a bigger smile on your face, you will feel more alive driving it but the 488 is a better purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8th_Sin likes this.
  5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I think I'ved read everyone's posts and am surprised that no one has offered this opinion:

whichever car you decide - it appears that that decision is now done - my one suggestion is: wait!

we are just in the first stage of the worst calamity the world has experienced since the Great Depression, barring the horrors of WWII. The economic repercussions of the worldwide coronavirus pandemic will be beyond anyone's present imagination.

Six months from now you will buy the same Ferrari at a huge discount, the size of which you will not believe. And if you have the patience to wait another six months your discount will be even more shocking

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    So just short the market and make even more if you feel that way? But no one knows for sure which way things will go. A little over a month ago we had one of the greatest economies in our history so we could bounce back in not that much time. Or things could get much worse in a few months and we all die, if that's the case at least you would have enjoyed your final days driving a Ferrari :)

jomarti1 and 8th_Sin like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sean,

I see myself in a lot of what you just described. Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a modern Ferrari. Believe it or not, I slept no more than 2-3 hours a night for almost 3 weeks before writing the check for my 458. That’s the way it is. It drained me physically, but it was worth it.

From what I gather, you’ve chosen the 488. I congratulate you wholeheartedly on your choice and hope you find the perfect 488 for you soon! Will be looking forward to some pictures when you have the time!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Now that’s a proper man cave right there!

Is that a beer can? :p:D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. 8th_Sin

8th_Sin Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean Busby
    Not fully decided yet! The one I'm looking at feels like a pretty solid deal for the build. I liked it a lot. It's like a damn coin flip on some things. I feel if I choose one, I will want the other and vice versa. Ray was giving me tons of solid thoughts as well and lean 458. When I built out my little formula, I intentionally didn't add them up and when I got done it was a 50/50 split =| That's why I added the weighting to it. Then smashed my head against the keyboard :D

scott61 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    glad you like it!

it's a red bull, tropical edition

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.