Advice on quick trip to Germany please... | FerrariChat

Advice on quick trip to Germany please...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by v tach, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    We decided to take a last minute trip to visit our au pair who recently moved back to Germany--she resides in Kassel. We fly into Frankfurt and we are staying for 10 days. Besides planning on attending the Frankfurt Auto Show and Oktoberfest are there any "must see" items we should add given our relatively short time frame there? We will have a rental car and will be traveling with small kids. We decided to hold off on the auto factory tours for this trip--we are looking for non car related activities / sight seeing for the remainder of our time there (unless they are easy). We are considering Hamburg and Berlin in addition to Munich for Oktoberfest. Thanks in advance for any info!

VG

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hamburg and Berlin are definitely worth the visit if you have the time. Will you be based in Frankfurt or Kassel? Hamburg and Berlin might be too far with small kids in the car if you are based in Frankfurt.

Personally, we love the North and East Frisian Islands but obviously for more than a day or 2 and only if the weather is good. We seem to be lucky every year in autumn with the sun, even if the air temperature is not the highest at that time of year:)

You could head west into Holland or Belgium. Maastricht is a very pretty town with good history, eating and shopping. Heading east to Nuremberg, also a very beautiful, historic city.

Enjoy your trip.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do you seriously think the Oktoberfest is child-friendly !

4. marlonbvm

marlonbvm Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Max
    I lived in Mainz for 20 years. Must see is the Rhein valley region, especially coming from Texas. If you're into wine, Riesling, old castles etc it sure is worth a trip. The Rheingau is no more than 20-30 minutes from Frankfurt airport. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, happy to help :) Max

5. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    If you decide to go to Hamburg you should not miss the Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg - model building - model railway Hamburg
    It's the largest model railway in the world. Even if you are not interested in model railways, the scenery is fantastic.
    How old are your children? They should be older than ten.
    A boat tour through the harbour is also quite nice.
    Oktoberfest with children? 100000 drunken people, not so much fun for children

6. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    think of distances in a car with small children !

Frankfurt-Kassel-Hamburg-Berlin-Munich-Frankfurt is easily a +1000 miles trip
    even without any additional tours at the different locations

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I completely agree with this. So many good places in Germany, why travel the major distances? Great excuse to come back!

For 10 days I would pick Kassel and surrounds for a couple of days and then 1 other region. Couple of suggestions.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a wonderful town, completely intact from the middle ages. 2 1/2 drive from Kassel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber

Ferrari dealer Eberlein is worth a visit in Kassel.

For scenery you can try the Thüringerwald and surrounds. 2 hr drive. Thuringia Tourism - holiday (vacation) and travel in Thuringia

Another option is to a little further south and west for a couple of days, close to France. Konstanz is a great town. The Bugatti museum in Mulhouse (France) is amazing. 4 1/2 hr drive from Kassel.

In about 3 hours you can get to the Nürburgring from Kassel, you can check the website if there are public driving days. Great part of Germany, from which you can pop into beautiful Roman town Trier, or France or Belgium. When we visit the track we usually rent a house at a holiday park (Roompot at Cochem, nice little town is Cochem). Cheap but very nice for a couple of days.

Anyway, way too many options to mention, I think you need to be more specific than say "what is there to do in Germany?".

Have a great time.

Onno

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    just something to add to Michael's post. We often visit local friends in Germany and can stay there overnight. Making such a trip will cost you a day whether it is 600 or 1000 miles. So your trip will take at least 2 days for only saying hi to nanny. Go to Berlin for a day, which is not enough :), there is a lot to do and see. What I am trying to say is that Europe is a nice cruising continent, but it takes decades to see it all and enjoy it. All I can say take your time. Sitting only your the rental is not the nicest thing here. Staying put and explore some places is :)

20 Things to Do in Berlin ? Essential Attractions, Sights and Activities ? Time Out Berlin

No offence, forget about The Netherlands when you have kids onboard, it is too far away if you are only staying for 10 days.

Enjoy your stay and have fun!

All the best
    Tijn

9. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I certainly appreciate the input! I apologize for the lack of detail in my initial post as we are trying to piece this together in a relatively short amount of time. The ideas provided here all sound like great suggestions. If you guys don't mind I'll post a preliminary itinerary this weekend based on the above feedback--let me know if you have any further suggestions! Btw, I was under the impression that Oktoberfest is still family friendly during the day?

Thanks again,
    Vivek

10. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    May I suggest you to use the train when you are going to visit towns.
    Big towns have a good public transportation system. You would not need a car in Hamburg, Berlin or Munich. You will most probably get stuck in traffic jams or spend time to park your car. Check Willkommen auf der Konzernwebsite der Deutschen Bahn | DB Konzern (German railway) for prices. (under the red bar you will find an icon to switch the site to English)
    For e.g. Berlin you can get the information here:Welcome - BVG.de

11. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    it still is ;)
    skip the weekend !
    go there from monday through friday during the day and you and your family will enjoy it

this !
    and - depending on time of booking - travel might also be a lot cheaper and stressless

12. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Hello Vivek,
    I just returned from Hamburg - 50th birthday of a good friend.
    We took the train. 600km by car on a Friday afternoon after work would be no fun.
    We stayed in this hotel: Hotel Hafen Hamburg: Hanseatic Hotel in Hamburg
    I would highly recommend it. You have a nice view across the river Elbe (the harbour).
    For a harbour tour you just have to walk down the stairs and the subway station is just across the street.
    Apperantly the hotel is very popular amoung tourist. I doubt you can book a room last minute.