Advice on Ducatis. | FerrariChat

Advice on Ducatis.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by RussianM3_dude, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I have finally grown some ba||s and am going to get my motorcycle license. I am going to buy probably a Ninja 250 (I am light) and ride for a few months.
    Seeing how it is impossible to get an MV Augusta in Canada, I'd like to get the next best thing. However a can never get any good advice on Ducatis so I was hoping some of you guys can help me out.
    1. Should I start with a 800Supersport (is it any good?) or move right into 749 biposto.

2. I assume that with their flat torque curve, as opposed to all the banzai rockets, they would not be too harsh on a rookie.

3. I will take it easy for the first year, and seeing how all the roads here in Montreal are straight as an arrow, I wont be challenged too much.

4. I know you will ask, why get a Ducati then? And I will admit that posing will play a big role. I just want that shot of adrenaline every week-end, and an Italian engine going from purr to roar at the flick of a wrist.

Basically, are they as dangerous as people make them out to be?

Any personal experience will be greatly appreciated. Thatnks.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Ducati is not the next best thing, it is equal and in many ways better. The 916-996-998 series is much better developed, has much better front suspension, is quite dependable. (I assume you are comparing to the MV Agusta F4S?). The Ducs are bikes you can really ride and ride hard and not have to constantly fiddle with.

3. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Wellllllll... The MV's are sexier then a Victoria's Secret photoshoot. Here in Montreal I'll never have the chance to really race the bike, so pure look, feel and sound are what counts.

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #4 UroTrash, May 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Nikolai: A Ducati Monster was my first bike, i started riding about 3 years ago, in my late 40's. I don't know about you, but the superbikes, while gorgeous, are extreme in their riding position; those clip-on type handle bars are not, at least for me, the easiest thing to handle, and unless you are going to devote yourself to riding constantly on another bike to learn your craft, me thinks diving right into such an extreme bike might be a tad much.

The Monster is easy to handle, makes the right noises and looks pretty cool. Its also a good compromise if you: aren't a great rider; plan on riding any distance, and/or if you aren't a glutton for punishment.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #6 UroTrash, May 8, 2004
  7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #7 UroTrash, May 8, 2004
    Seriously, if you feel compelled to get a Duc get a nice used Monster as suggested above. Personally, I'd rather have a 1994 or so 900SS, but thats me, an old man. If you feel compelled to get a superbike, get a nice well maintained 916, they are screaming bargains (like mine pictured here):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Recommendation: for the first year of motorcycling: by a bike you would not frett over if you wrote it off. After a year without laying it down, wrecking, runing into anything, and if you want to pursue motorcycling, THEN get the bike you want.

I have never found the need for more bike than a 900 SS. Sure there are lots of faster bikes, but a 900 SS will do 0-60 in 3.3-3.4 once you know how toride, so what if it ops out in the mid 140s. The joy/fear ratio turns southward around 120 anyway. Makes great noise. Easy to work on and service.

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Isn't it just amazing (on public roads) how rapidly that ratio changes?
    I agree at 120: rock solid, at 125: 50% more anxiety , 130: it doubles. I don't know after that, I'm a chicken. Its hard to believe what a huge change those seemingly small changes make.

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Mitch i was loaned a 900ss by a motorcyle shop while i was waiting for a new bike,i had it for a few months,it was down on power compared to other makes with the same engine capacity,but the chassis was fantastic,you could throw it into a corner's-beauty,did require plenty of spanners though the said bike kept shaking itself to bits,good ride very enjoyable and would have another,

Dale.

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Michael is right. Ducatis are phneomenal machines. I bought an MV Agusta F4S 2 weeks ago and I put about 100 miles on it before I decided that I just like my Ducatis so much more. I have it on eBay right now.

Instead of getting a 749, I would suggest a 748. After all, if you're leaning toward an MV Agusta, a 748 would be the more logical choice before a 749. I would start out with something used so that you have some money in the pocket if you have any mishaps.

As far as being dangerous, as long as you have a healthy does of fear when you ride, you should be okay. Ride like you're invisible and don't take chances. No one can see when you're on a motorcycle. Don't ride in the lane where traffic enters and make sure that you stay out of people's blind spots.

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

There are plenty of track days in your area. Get the 748, get a good set of leathers, with armour. Bates makes good leathers, Manx Leathers makes good leathers. Lastly, get a good helmet: Arai is what I use, and I "used" them not worn them.

Make sure that you never lose the fear. Once you do, you're headed to the hospital or worse.

Art

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'll defer Art and Sherpa, to your much greater experience, but a new rider on a 748? Don't you think that bike is a little difficult to manage for someone with no experience? Perhaps my bias (and don't get me wrong, i think the 748 is a model of aesthetic purity) is that i'm large, and sitting, really leaning over, and having your hands down low is not the easiest position to find comfort in; granted, maybe more correct position for racing, but we are talking new rider here. Second thoughts?

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) Mine has been as reliable as a top over 28,000 miles. The only part It ever shook off was the license plate. A couple daps of nail polish on the threads solved that.
    B) Although down on straight line power, it lays down enough power to take may bikes in the turns, just be sure to put the best possible rubber on it.

I use full soft compresion and just 2 detents of rebound at the front.

Scan
    Identify
    Predict
    Decide
    Execute

One of the things I do is to wathc the car in front of me to see if he uses his mirrors and or knows I am there. DO NOT pass a car that does not know you are there!

Try missing a blind turn* at 130 by a couple of milliseconds (about the width of a lane at 130), any survivor will not do the same again.

* that can be taken at 130.

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I don't like going very fast, almost never do it. I admit its hard not to goose it to 100 or 110 on a little straight for a few seconds, but only with no traffic, WIDE runoff, low grass (i.e. no hidden dogs) and NEVER go faster than I can stop in sight plane. I think there would be NO survivor in your scenario.

It goes without saying the bike is checked for air pressure and chain looseness EACH outing..

16. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    My first motorcycle was a 1999 Ducati 750SS and it was awesome. I took a three day riding class, which is VERY important, then went down to the dealer and picked up a brand new red 750SS. Most of my friends had Suzukis and Yamahas which I did not now want because they get old fast, evey six months there is a new hot bike and then you have to listen to people quoting numbers for the new bikes to you all day long. My friends kept telling me "don't buy a Ducati becaues..." and ramble off some reason why they didn't want me to buy one, note that most of them had never ridden a Ducati or had any experience with them, of course I didn't listen to them and went in my own direction. After riding the 750SS for a while I rode their GSX-R 600 and 750 which felt like riding a piece of spaghetti after getting off the Ducati, my bike was so much more responsive to the throttle and steering it was unbelievable and the chassis felt like it was carved from granite. The Suzukis are MUCH wider than a Ducati, they felt like tanks next to my bike.

Like you I thought that the flat torque curve would be would be kinder to a rookie and I was right, the bike has such linear throttle pick-up and acceleration that it made the bike very predictable. I rode mine for three years on all types of roads, city, country, winding, highway, the most difficult was city riding beacuse of the heavy clutch; there are aftermarket slave-cylinders for sale that lighten the clutch effort but I never changed mine.
    Every ride felt special, it does feel like a two-wheeled Ferrari, I don't own a Ferrari but have driven two 328's and a Testarossa and the excitement and sensations are similar.

I did not find my bike to be dangerous, of course I stayed well within my limits, didn't try to learn wheelies and all the other stunts that many people think are cool to do but just ruin your bike and put your body at risk. My bike was very reliable, the only problems I had was some coughing back through the airbox when I picked the bike up which was cured by having the technicians tune the fuel factory fuel-injection and also some loss of power that was caused by some faulty valve in the fuel tank, I think it is like a check-valve, that was not opening properly and was causing a vacuum in the fuel tank and not allowing fuel to flow properly, this valve was changed under warranty and the problem never happened again, this was a problem common to most of the Ducati line-up at the time.

1999 was the first year for the redesigned 750SS and 900SS, in 2000 Ducati raised the clip-ons and windshield, and in 2001 they changed the frame and wheel color from gold/bronze to grey, that is why I still prefer the 1999 750SS. Also, since the motor size is 748cc the insurance will be about half what the insurance will cost for an 800SS because 750cc is the cut-off for raising the insurance cost. My bike was fast too, much more so that the HP numbers would suggest. When I rode with my buddies with modified GSX-R 600 and 750 I could leave them from the traffic lights and from off-ramp exits just by rolling on the throttle since I had much more torque, I was gone before they could downshift two or three gears to get into the powerband, they were very surprised. The gearing on my 750SS was pretty high, I would have love to put a smaller sprocket on the front to get more use of my higher gears, it would have been awesome. I sold mine because I had to move overseas and couldn't bring the bike with me, I would buy another in a second if and when I return to the US. There was one on eBay a few days ago for with only 2400 miles on it but it is no longer on the site.

I recommed the 1999 750SS or 900SS, but I am sure the new 800SS will be just as awesome...you will have a blast. Follow this link to some pics of mine.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=44484015

17. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
  18. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Mmm, I think I shall go for that 800SS with full fairing and an aftermarket can, or maybe a new 749 DARK.

19. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    I have a S4 Monster.
    It has the super bike motor 916. In a monster frame...easier to ride for me than a super bike.I love it......The super bikes are great but if you have never ridden a super bike you will probably wad it up your first week.
    I did. i thought a 748s would be a great starter bike.wrong.I rode motocross in high school and thought a super bike would be easy to ride.That was a mistake for me.Heres a pic of the S4

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    as a 3 time duck owner, the smaller bike is a better choice, if you are not used to high torque and yourself are light, you may launch the bike out from under you. i hope you have strong arms. I am about a buck eighty and my 916 and 999 easily got away from me.

if you are looking to be mr speedracer get a superbike i really think a monster or ss series are awesome.

as for why? well if you don't mind valve tuning every 7500 miles or less, the high resale value to balance that out, the drool factor, or the junk rice-rockets that cost half that price and have less prestige then a pair of used pucks, well take these factors. Bimota, MV, Aprilia all make great bikes too in the smaller cc range that are also rather exclusive and a tad cheaper, perhaps a buell???

if you have to ask why, then there is no reason to get one.

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Ducati superbikes need valve adjustments every 6000 miles, not 7500. Make sure that you don't leave the services for 7500, especially if you ride hard.

22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    my 888 had suggested intervals of 7500, the 916 was not around for long when i got the 999, and i ride that like your gran, i am real easy on it. perhaps the shop in LA gave me the wrong intervals.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Actually, every desmoquattro has 6k service intervals so the shop probably give you the wrong advice. We make sure that we specify 6k valve adjustments and belt changes on every Ducati that leaves the dealership. Some dealerships like to put off the belt changes for 12k but we have seen enough belt breakages that it's not a chance that we take.

24. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I got to drive my uncles 998R and let me tell you, I could never own one of those at my age. Its so fast and the torque nearly pulled me off the bike.

Im goin for a ZX7R.

25. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The 916 is a very fast bike especially with a chip and pipes. It is extreme in its riding position and will take curves really fast. The bike is not for a new rider in my opinion. I have been riding for 31 years and it will get you in trouble fast. I owned one for 3 years but only rode 50 miles or so at a time. It killed me. The 900 or monster riding position is much better and you might take a 200 mile ride on it. Start small and ride safe. There is no such thing as a fender bender on a cycle.
    All The ducs are plenty fast even for a experienced rider.