Advice for a new dog owner? | FerrariChat

Advice for a new dog owner?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Jan 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    #1 KennyH, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys,

Max, a Goldendoodle pup, will be joining our family mid-February - and as we've never had a dog before, I was hoping for some recommendations and guidance on dog-related car gear to purchase ahead of his arrival. Ex: seat covers and harnesses. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you (!),

Kenny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    We've used a version of #4 for our dog (about 13 lbs) and it seems to fit normal car seats. Because one of the straps wraps around the car seat, it doesn't really work on rear bench seats unless it's a 60/40 type car seat that can tilt forward or fold so you can get to the back side.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-dog-car-seats?id=adw&gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corOHOAEBUI9b3MnqIASkoxDq_Hggfj6ADfAwocbiaeMchoCmVrw_wcB

There's a short leash attached to the dog seat that keeps her in the seat, but with just enough length to sit up or circle around, and it's clipped to a harness, not a collar.

She's actually very happy laying on the floor, so for short trips, we sometimes put her in the passenger footwell on a padded mat.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #3 Jo Sta7, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's my goldendoodle, Walter. It's the best breed ever. Best thing is they don't shed or stink. They won't make much a mess of your cars as long as you keep the dog clean and keep the nails trimmed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Three poodles here , 1 Toy, 2 Standards. Big car blanket, plenty of 15 minute drives for familiarity and positive connections ( treats afterwards). These dogs are wicked smart, they'll catch on quickly and take their assigned post in no time flat. Always have water on hand.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And don't overlook a bowl to serve the water in. And always keep a supply of poop bags nearby in case you need to stop unexpectedly on a trip.

Sort of like transporting a baby, isn't it?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

They make a nifty little poop bag holder that goes on the dog's leash. That way, as long as you're walking the dog, you're always prepared.

Bags on Board Pink Bone Dog Waste Pick Up Dispenser & Refill Waste Bags | Petco Store

Oh and there's a dohickey that you can put on a water bottle to help the dog get a drink.

Good2Go Assorted Water Dispenser | Petco Store

I've used both, the dog poop bags are easier to deal with than the water bottle, so I taught the dog to drink from the bottle.

D

7. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Barbour carries some great dog beds and jackets. Congrats on the new pup adorable !!

8. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thank you very much for the responses guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Palletwhack

Palletwhack Rookie

Jan 31, 2017
    I don't have any advice but that dog is adorable. Happy woofing.