Adjust/reset timing | FerrariChat

Adjust/reset timing

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by decardona, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    With the issues I've had since my belt/water pump change, I want to check the timing. The car ran like a top prior, so if this isn't it I'll look into the other things that were suggested. So, I have a few questions. I know the basics are to set it to TDC, but if its off how can I tell? Will using a timing light show if it's off? If it is off, is there an "easy" way to get it back in time? Thanks again to those who helped when I was stuck with my belt/pump issues. It gives confidence knowing the answers can be found through this forum.

2. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I think this has been covered in numerous threads, but it can be boiled down to two categories.

First is if you are one tooth (or more) off on the pulleys. This is easy to check.

The other is if timing is off by a fraction of a tooth, then you will need a degree wheel and use the dowels in the camshaft pulleys to find a better tooth/hole combination.

I would suggest the first check to start with. There are marks on the top of fly wheel, exhaust cam peek through the oil cap hole and also marks behind the pulleys that should line up with arrows bolted to the cam covers. At TDC all should line up fairly good, but not perfect, at least good enough to see "one tooth off" issues.

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    So if it's off, do I just remove the belt and move it to line up?

4. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes, and to be safe, replace the belt.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I put the full method on how to check the cam timing on your previous post, did u not read it ?

6. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Sorry. Had a computer issue and didn't see it. But it seems very comprehensive and easy to follow. Thanks for that and I'll provide an update upon completion.