Actually doing something about scammers / annoyance calls | FerrariChat

Actually doing something about scammers / annoyance calls

Discussion in 'Technology' started by the_stig, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    For years I've tried to get off every database to cut down on the number of annoyance calls. Unfortunately in this age of spoofing local exchange numbers so you feel like you "have" to answer them I'm getting tons of scam and telemarketer calls.
    So... time to do something about it.
    1. Use the carrier lookup tools at carrierlookup.com or cid.ninja to find the company that is supplying the line.
    2. Use the short list of carrier abuse contacts at scammerblaster.com or a Google search to find the abuse contact for the carrier. If you have a few minutes read down the page at scammerblaster - some interesting info.
    3. Report the call(s) to the carrier's abuse contact or to their network admin if you can't find an abuse contact. (you find their network admin through a "whois" search of their domain name) You can also use general mailboxes or specific executives if you can find them.
    Chances seem to be about 50/50 on getting any sort of response BUT on the responses that I have received they usually say that they have taken steps to see that it doesn't happen again. Particularly satisfying if the offending caller was an IRS scam or fake tech support.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Any updates to this? Maybe some new tactics?

cid.ninja only allows one lookup per day, and doesn't appear to be accurate. And contacting the carrier seems to go nowhere as well.

Here's an example of a number that calls our home phone just about every day (from "Pensacola" although I live in Central Fl, about a 8 hours drive away). Our caller ID and cid.ninja shows "Sears" while nomorobo says otherwise.

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/850-898-9350

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    If the caller is not in my contacts, I don't answer. If the call is important they'll leave a message.

NYC Fred and IloveGT like this.