Actors Common to Both Magnum PI & the Rockford Files | FerrariChat

Actors Common to Both Magnum PI & the Rockford Files

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cincy Ken, May 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    After doing a search of the current and old archives on "Rockford Files," I was surprised to see that no one has tried to catalogue the number of actors appearing in both Magnum PI and the Rockford Files. I've always been amused by some of the references, like in the Magnum episode that begins with a stakeout on the beach where police detective # 1, waiting in the bushes for something to happen, says to police detective #2 something like, "I saw Rockford last night. It was great. This PI, Lance, was getting all the clues, driving Rockford crazy." Lance, of course, was goody-two-shoes PI Lance White, played by Tom Selleck. Nothing more was mentioned about it, but it was a nod to one of Selleck's big breaks, and paid homage to another good detective show.

Anyway, back to the point of this thread. I suppose there were probably lots of bit actors making small appearances, but I'm referring to regulars on one or both of the shows. Here are a few that come to mind:

Tom Selleck - have to start here, as he played Lance White, as mentioned above.

Larry Manetti - played Rick, manager of the club on Magnum, and also the bad-guy nephew of the PI association president, who murdered the congressman at the PI awards banquet in that same Lance White episode with Selleck.

Roger Mosley - TC on Magnum, but had two roles on Rockford, one as Electric Larry, and another unnamed.

Joe Santos - played Lieutenant Becker on Rockford files, and Lieutenant Page on Magnum - basically the same role, but with a Hawaiian shirt and hat - the guy who's always giving either Rockford or Magnum a hard time, threatening to bust their chops, but eventually caving in and running a license plate check, or equivalent.

Gretchen Corbett - played Beth Davenport, Rockford's attorney girlfriend, and on Magnum played the scheming reporter / granddaughter of the senile owner of the land on which the club is built, in the Season 1 set.

Noah Beery, Jr. - played Rockfords's dad (actually, the second actor who played his dad, if you're familiar with the really old episodes), and also played "Floyd," an on-the-run schemer in Season 1 who also is responsible for the Ferrari getting rear-ended.

Stuart Margolin - played Angel (need I say more?) on Rockford files, and Rod Crysler on Magnum, where he was Magnum's old navy buddy selling encyclopedias and getting involved in a big drug deal.

I'm sure I must haved missed a few, but this is a good start. Any others?

2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I must admit. I never thought to do so. ;)

Piper likes this.
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You can make up a similarly long list between Magnum and Baa Baa Blacksheep. Anyone ever noticed this besides me? Probably not.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ken....

Do you work for the IRS?

5. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It's off the topic but my grandfather was one of the original VMF-214 Blacksheep.

Rexcat458 and Piper like this.
  6. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    No, not the IRS. I just spent too much of my earlier years in front of the TV, according to my wife.

7. Zefrey

Zefrey Rookie

Jan 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Zefrey
    Actually I was watching the Rockford file and noticed an actress that I know I had seen on Magnum PI,/ 80s so I looked it up and I was right, of course she was just younger in the Rockford files. Gretchen Corbett,

8. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    "The Look."

rob likes this.
  9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    James Luisi who played Lt. Chapman on Rockford also played bad guy John Costa on Magnum.
    What really cracked me up was the guy who played Uncle Leo on Seinfeld played a thug on Rockford Files.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Now THAT is badass. My grandfather who raised me started out on Corsairs but after flight training he stayed in Texas as an instructor, didn't see combat in WWII.

11. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Kojak shared a lot of actors with those shows. They were often stars on the way up or the way down.