Accident on L.I.E. East Bound Exit 51 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Accident on L.I.E. East Bound Exit 51

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by RANTANESIAN, Jun 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I don't think that would stop the brakes from working...but I don't know much, so I could be wrong.

2. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    If the throttle sticks you just shut the engine off.

3. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Or push the clutch... so you at least don't lose power or lock the steering column.

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Like Emil says, problem is most people do just that and they lock the steering column when the key is turned back to the off position. Few people think they only have to come back one click. Things get pretty hectic during a full power runaway.

5. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    if you push the clutch the engine will redline and fry.
    emil what about if you have F1 :p

6. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Theoretically, the rev limiter should cut the fuel supply a the redline. And if you're driving F1, I'd go to neutral.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    If it was a 308/328, It may not have a rev-limiter. 'least my 308 doesn't.

The stuck throttle happened to me a bunch of years ago on a '76 Buick skyhawk V6 4 speed. I was able to shut the engine down via one notch on the key. But the power steering and power brakes were gone and it was a stinker bringing the car to the shoulder and a safe stop.

If your not going too fast, you can always just bury the breaks & load the engine until it stalls (assuming it's not an automatic)

8. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Well, just update the firmware on the ECU. Grab your laptop and plug it in to the OBDII port. I'm sure Steve can help you with the proper offsets.

Oh wait.

Nevermind. :)

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Yep. Step into Mr. Peabody's way-way back machine.
    Can you say Jofatron?

I started to develop an interface to it via a laptop as it's simple voltage measurements, no protocols (Game port interface). Never did finish it. Oh well.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Also, it beats dying. Besides, the brakes will outpower the engine.

11. cmcjo

cmcjo Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My 360 throttle stuck at max a few weeks ago while accelerating hard from a standstill. The F1 was not responding to any shifts and it took me a few seconds to figure out that I had to kill the ignition.

Good thing for that rev limiter as the rpm's just bounced off redline.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Today Newsday published the following: "Cops Re-examine speed of Ferrari"
    "Police say doctor who died Sunday was speeding but back off earlier estimate his zest for life recalled"

"The Doctor killed after speeding his Ferrari on the LIE on Sunday was anything but a daredevil", said the owner of the school where he apparently went for weekly flight lessons. "He always seemed cautious and concerned about what he was doing, said Stephen Placa, owner of Heritage Flight Academy at LI MacArthur Airport. He was always asking questions and maiking sure the weather was good...I never got he impression he was a daredevil."

Placa said "Dr. Neil Battinelli, 64 of Oyster Bay, had been a student since March and was working on his private pilot's certificate. He was getting close to his firsst solo flight and its just so unfortunate to see what happened to him. "He brought us donuts on Sundays or he brought us bagels. No one else did that. He was just a wonderful guy to know."

Suffolk Police have backed away from their initial estimate that Battinelli was driving at more than 120mph. Det. Lt. Tom O'Heir said that skid marks on the road suggest he was considerably over the speed limit and that was likely a contributing factor in the crash, but he declined to estimate the speed.
    -------------------------------------------------

So much for accurate accident investigations by the highest paid public police force in the country. Apparently there was enough pressure and accurate information to force the PD to retract and correct their earlier misinformation.

If he was "considerably over the speed limit", and the speed limit on the service road is 50 or 55, does that mean he was doing 70 mph or 75? Hardly faster than anyone else on that road at any time of day. He was probably far from a speed demon as many would make it appear.

May the good Doctor rest in peace and his family remember his great reputation.

13. anil871

anil871 Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    atleast they admitted to it

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for that......truly a sad event.

Rest in Peace.....

15. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side
    Am I missing something??? What does the Speed of his car at the time of the crash have to do with his "REPUTATION"???? The posting of the alleged 120MPH was done within hours of the crash. Posted SO quickly , that any reasonable person would have accepted it as pure speculation. But NO. The majority viewed it as EXOTIC CAR BASHING!!!!!!!

Most facts at accident scenes come from the , Skid Marks(if any), Witness accounts( if credible), distance from the car that a body part(head/foot/or any other appendage)lands after it has been ejected from the victims body.

Does anyone here know this owner personally?? Someone that can attest to his "Reputation". Does anyone care???

Shiv......when are you off probation???? I am sure your NOT a DAREDEVIL.

Joey.....SOrry I missed your party of TITS , ASS and VODKA!!!!!! Maybe next time.

John.....Stop letting that FAT CHICK drive your Vette.......its SAD!!!!!

Jason T......You must have pics from SCORES!!!!!!! By the way.....caught your few moments of fame on FUSE the other night!!!!!!

Goodnight All!!!!!!

16. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    Barry -- Did Dunkin Donuts replace the jelly in your donut with pure caffine? How many times do Joey and I have to tell you lay of the Bear Claws? You know what happened last time? There is only so much fake evidence we can plant on dead people.

17. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side

Bear Claw with a Large Turbo Iced Coffee 18 sugars!!!!!! I am fine!!!!

18. Parikh1234

Parikh1234 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2006
    Little Ferry, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Shivam Parikh
    turns out my lawyer found a technicality and so im off:)

19. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    So I'm guessing the judge took one look at you and realized that owning an Evo was punishment enough, and he couldn't do anything worst to you?

20. Parikh1234

Parikh1234 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2006
    Little Ferry, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Shivam Parikh
    actually, funny thing. I told the judge i had an evo and hes like man you are too awesome to ever be on probation. He rather decided that everyone else who did not own an evo was not awesome enough to drive. So everyone else is not on probation.

21. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    So you're saying you gave him a little "Joey roofie" action and now all is good? I think it's ironic that a car called an "Evolution" is driven by such neanderthals :)