Accident on L.I.E. East Bound Exit 51 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Accident on L.I.E. East Bound Exit 51

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by RANTANESIAN, Jun 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it in fact a 355? I can't see to well in that news clip but looks more like a 308. Either way, definitely a tragedy.

2. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Thanks for coming to the New York thread and sharing your thoughts of my driving, and yes I drive my car hard, your probably bought a Ferrari to sit in your air condition garage and be driven 40-50 mph, if you have a problem with my driving come say it to my face, I ain't going through with this **** again with you people...

3. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Good spot, I'm pretty sure you're right. It does seem more like a 308 to me.

4. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    It was a 355 spider for a fact, i saw it intact just an hour before this :(

5. RANTANESIAN

RANTANESIAN Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2004
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rene Antanesian
    It actually was a 308 as i left my aunts house after Brunch I saw the car on a flat bed. I tried to take a picture of it but the cops were pushing us trough..

6. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    There are ways to have fun in your car without driving 160 mph on public roads. I'm sure a lot of people who own exotics have a lot of fun at half the speeds you have driven. You can drive your car hard on the track too. Just a thought.

7. LAMBOJOE

LAMBOJOE F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006
    Brooklyn NY
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Noah this **** is not about me or the way i drive, i just hate people who bring up the past, we have been over this months ago.

8. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Yeah, let's drop it guys. We don't want another one of "those" threads.

9. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    ok.

10. FCars4Ever

FCars4Ever Karting

Jul 23, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dimitri
    That accident is very sad. My condolences to the family of the driver. Stay safe out there guys!!!!

11. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yup, 308 or 328 as per that video. Can not tell which model from the helicopter shot.

12. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    From Newsday this morning, 1989, which does make it a 328...sad to hear

Father's Day was one of Neil Battinelli's favorite days of the year, so yesterday his daughters hoped to make it special.

After taking his flying lessons in the morning, Battinelli was to be the guest of honor at a barbecue, at which they hoped to present a collection of memories and photographs the youngest of his three children had put together.

But as Battinelli, 64, of Oyster Bay, was on his way to the airport just after 9 a.m., he lost control of his 1989 Ferrari on the Long Island Expressway in Dix Hills.

Suffolk police said he crashed through a grassy section between the expressway and the service road and was ejected from his car, which then caught fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

13. GlobalLambo

GlobalLambo Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    June 18, 2007

Father's Day was one of Neil Battinelli's favorite days of the year, so yesterday his daughters hoped to make it special.

After taking his flying lessons in the morning, Battinelli was to be the guest of honor at a barbecue, at which they hoped to present a collection of memories and photographs the youngest of his three children had put together.

But as Battinelli, 64, of Oyster Bay, was on his way to the airport just after 9 a.m., he lost control of his 1989 Ferrari on the Long Island Expressway in Dix Hills.

Suffolk police said he crashed through a grassy section between the expressway and the service road and was ejected from his car, which then caught fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dix Hills firefighters received a call about another serious accident on the expressway. At the South Service Road around Exit 51, they came across Battinelli's Ferrari ablaze. Battinelli lay nearby, but it was too late to save him.

Det. Sgt. Bruce Markgraf said Battinelli had been traveling at a "very high rate of speed," in excess of 120 mph, in the left lane of the expressway when he veered right, went over the grassy section, struck a light pole, flipped over and was ejected from his vehicle. Police said they were investigating whether he had been wearing a seatbelt.

Police are also investigating whether Battinelli might have been experiencing mechanical problems.

Markgraf said Battinelli had been seen looking under the hood of his car on the shoulder of the expressway in Nassau before the accident. His car was impounded for a safety check.

Battinelli, a cardiologist with his own practice in Garden City, had a distinguished medical career, friends and relatives said. When Avianca Flight 52 from Colombia crashed in Cove Neck in 1990, he coordinated the triage of the dozens of injured patients, his family said. He had also worked as a surgeon for both the Garden City fire and police departments.

"We, too, are grieving for his family," Lt. Peter Clancy of the fire department said.

14. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Very sad to hear - R.I.P.

Rene,
    Good to hear from you on Fchat once again!

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Very sad. I was out driving in the Mondi with two of my sons yesterday. We were all wearing our seat belts. I wonder if this guy was. I read he was ejected.

16. cntrvrsy

cntrvrsy Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    New York
    Full Name:
    Doug
    So wait... the fire dept was enroute to an accident scene and coincidentally ran into Battinelli??? That's crazy! So very sad though for his family especially his little girls :(.

But how do they know he was traveling at a "high rate of speed"? I mean was that the report they got from other motorists? I'm sure he could have been going faster than most others on the expressway but not necessarily doing 120mph.

I don't like it when someone in a sports car has an accident and people 'assume' that person was speeding. It could have something as simple as a blowout that caused his crash. It's a Ferrari that's designed for high speed so I'm sure it'll hold the road at 120mph (if he was really going that fast) better than most other 'normal' cars.

Either way though, it's very sad for his family and close friends especially for his daughters on that particular day :( :(.

17. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    According to my brother right down the road a dumptruck blew a red light going weist on the service road crossing over and slamming into a car killing 2 on Deer Park Avenue... Crazy :(

18. cntrvrsy

cntrvrsy Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    New York
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Damn :(

19. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm not sure who gave the speed estimate in this particular accident. But if it was from the police, they usually can calculate the estimate from the debris dispersal. Kind of what they do at airplane crash sites to reconstruct the accident. They take all kinds of distance measurements to figure out where the impact was and how far the parts of the car moved from there. Certainly, a 308/328 can easily do 120 mph so it is possible for that to have occurred here.

Very sad for the family, indeed.

20. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Accident investigations are a dime a dozen. Good ones are hard to find and they usually don't get decided overnight. This 64 year old man, a father of three, was a cardiologist and a pilot in training. Anything it this man's bio that would lead you to believe he wasn't methodical? I find it hard to believe he was being wreckless (which a high rate of speed would indicate).

RIP. My thoughts are to his loved ones.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #1......Thoughts and prayers are with his family....of all days for it to happen......

22. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side
    I don't like it when someone in a sports car has an accident and people 'assume' that person was speeding. It could have something as simple as a blowout that caused his crash. It's a Ferrari that's designed for high speed so I'm sure it'll hold the road at 120mph (if he was really going that fast) better than most other 'normal' cars.

Deal with it ! As long as there are Sports Cars on the road and as long as they have accidents. People will ALWAYS assume its the fault of the Sports Car. It is a fact of life. What sucks is this family lost a father.

23. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    They probably used the DOT cameras or sensors on the expwy to estimate speed. There are many many cameras on LI's highways. I accidentally walked into the control room in hauppauge recently and was amazed at how high-tech the whole operation is.

I wonder if there was a problem with the car - as was indicated in one of the articles. A stuck throttle would really suck. The seatbelts are a moot point. Would you rather get tossed from a car hitting a lightpost at those speeds or would you rather get burned up inside? Hopefully it was instant - as I suppose it was.

24. GlobalLambo

GlobalLambo Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    The vehicle was a 1989 FERRARI 328 GTB.... And yes he was experiencing a fuel/throttle issue according to a source within the investigation.

There was maintenance performed on the car recently so I am sure that mechanic will be questioned. It also seems that the victim was a kind hearted well mannered driver who was not a "speed demon."

Others stated in interviews that he was one heck of a Doctor!

So my condolences to his family, not an easy one to swallow on father's day.

25. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Seth,

Do you think it was an issue with the throttle sticking?

My sincerest condolences to the doctor's family...