Absolute best car to commute to the city from West Suburbs in? | FerrariChat

Absolute best car to commute to the city from West Suburbs in?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by 2tall4economy, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I've been notified that my office will re-open in April, and I suspect they mean it this time... currently I commute downtown in a Bentley GTC on I55 for about an hour in the mornings (evenings no problem). I had an Audi RS5 which was comically annoying for the trip, which is bumper to bumper from exit 283 to about 292...

I switched to a Bentley GTC last year and it has been a HUGE improvement. I'm considering changing to a Wraith, Cullinan, Bentayga, or perhaps even "downgrade" back to a S550 that I rather enjoyed for commuting in a former life since the GTC lacks radar cruise and also because it's a convertible and a hard top would likely be even better at keeping out the air braking truck sounds...

Curious what folks here think the ultimate commute weapon is so I can line it up before we all get back into the city for the daily grind... maybe I'm lucky and it's the GT, but somehow I doubt it...

(secretly, I want you all to tell me "F12" but I'll not hold my breath)

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Ferrari GTs aren't for daily stop and go traffic. How about a Mini Cooper S Automatic? If you really want a Ferrari, how about a vintage 412 with automatic transmission?

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Get a Tesla Model S P100D. Far more enjoyable to drive when shooting around traffic and particularly coming off red lights. Then when you're stuck in heavy traffic just put on the autopilot and relax.

4. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    move to the city and bike/walk/bus/train. Get a nice car for nice days

5. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Wasn't really thinking it would be a Ferrari (was somewhat of a joke, unfortunately).

I think a Tesla is the perfect use case for a commute actually, but they're actually pretty loud compared to my Bentley which defeats the purpose.

It will be an extremely cold day in a very warm place before I have anything to do with Cook county that I don't absolutely have to. I'd need to see a complete turnaround of the city and stability for 10+ years before I will go back to that disaster.

Mangskoginger and amenasce like this.
  6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Ever consider a driver?

If you can save two hours of your life each day, it may pencil out.

Mangskoginger likes this.
  7. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Full Name:
    Brett
    The goal is silence and comfort, not the inefficiency of time (though that is something as well to consider) so it's about the vehicle and not the method.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You are all over the place haha in what you want and expect.

Going from super quiet to secretly wanting an F12.

I used to commute every day from the city to Buffalo Grove in my Carrera 4S for 4 or 5 years and it was one of the best thing i did. Car was comfortable enough but mostly i looked forwards to the drive. I will say that i was able to avoid traffic as i would leave the city at 9.30 and then leave the burbs at 8pm.

If you want to DD an F12, then go for it! Having an exciting car makes the 35 miles or so really interesting. Even after 4 years.

I now have a BMW 3er to commute (at least when i was commuting before covid) and it's boring. I just plug in a podcast and drive. I dont enjoy the drive.

I dont know your financials but i cringe thinking about how much you would lose in depreciation by DD a Cullinan.

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I'd pick the Wraith under that criteria.

2tall4economy likes this.
  10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    A Wraith would certainly be quiet and comfortable. Absolutely love the Bentayga and it would be more practical than the Wraith.

Not quite as quiet or comfortable but honestly a Lusso is a pretty solid car. I dailied my 458, Cali, and 599 (prob 10k miles a year on each) to/from Lake Forest to downtown Chicago. Lusso is way better than those as a daily (plus it's AWD).

11. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Love the idea but Lusso lacks the adaptive cruise that is one of two things that my Bentley could improve upon. The other being blocking out sound, which I have to believe Lusso is also not so great at.

I'd love to get one actually but I'd rather have an F12 / 812 first for the FF/Lusso money if I have to compromise on comfort, quiet, and cruise actually. I could see it as a great 3rd Ferrari though!

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    If silence, comfort and inattention to driving are the goals I cast another vote for a driver. Sleep, think, or conduct business.

Mangskoginger likes this.