About MS's skills... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

About MS's skills...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by allegretto, Aug 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

There is no problem with a person speaking their minds. Debating and making points and counterpoints is what makes this and other forums fun. When you have conversations interrupted by someone making the same post over and over again, with no real point to make that's where many people have a problem. As far as whoever's trolling or whatever you want to call it, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. However there are many F1 fans and Ferrari fans that are highly displeased with the way the Scuderia and the FIA are being run. The politics are overshadowing the racing. If you feel the need to think someone is trolling because they speak out against it, so be it, it's your opinion. You haven't been around that long, you'll soon see why many of us have issues with Imperial

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The idea is that when Fangio drove he raced against racers. When Lauda drove he raced against other racers.

Michael also has competition... they are all driving cars with technology of relatively similar level. But he is simply the greatest racer ever and can therefore win 7 world championships.

The others could not do what he has done!

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Juan Manuel Fangio won 5 titles in 9 years. MS won 7 in 14 years. Fangio has a higher winning percentage. Juan Manuel Fangio is the greatest racer EVER. Michael Schumacher could not do what he did.

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Fangio was a great great great racer and is only second to Michael Schumacher.

But the bottom line still talks. Michael has won 7... Fangio won 5... that is 2 short... no one asked Fangio to stop after 5 titles. He should have gone on and won 10. He was the one who called it quits. No one stopped him.

THE Perseverance,
    THE Persistence,
    THE Determination,

TO WIN 7 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS... that is what makes Michael the greatest racer of all time.

Over a decade and a half of the greatest racing by the greatest racer and most of it for the greatest team ever!

Michael Schumacher is the greatest racer of all time.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

This is why you can't have a real disscussion with you. It's besides the point who stopped when. If the cars were as safe then, as they are now who knows how far Fangio would have carried on. Fangio won more championships in less time. That makes him the best by winning percentage. Period.

6. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    IF BUT IF BUT

IF CARS COULD FLY IN 1990

BUT THE FIA HAS DIFFERENT RULES IN 1970

IF BUT...

No ifs and no buts...

Michael has 7 world championships.... he is the greatest of all time!

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Fangio win percentage 47.1. Schumacher 36.4. Close but no cigar.

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Michael Schumacher 7 World Championships!

Fangio just 5!

7 > 5... sorry!

9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

You keep saying the same thing over and over. If you wanna make me see your point then have a point to make. Show me some figures or something. 7 championships only means he was around in the bst car for a long time. That alone doesn't make him the best. Come on, prove your point, you still haven't.

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I don't need to prove anything...

Michael Schumacer has already proven by WINNING 7 WORLD CAMPIONSHIPS!

He has proven that he is the greatest racer of all time!

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Even Keke Rosberg won a title. Championships can come down to a whole bunch of factors not always who's the best driver. Come on, i'm giving you a chance to prove me wrong. You say MS is the best ever, OK show me why. Other than the same 7 times WDC stuff. Why else.

12. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    SEVEN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS... what else is there!?

Michael Schumacher is the greatest racer ever!

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Still no dice man. Fangio won more of the races he started in. Almost half in fact. By your reasoning, if only championships count, then people like Stirling Moss, Gilles Villenuve, etc were no good then?

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Are you still debating with a WALL? Fangio won what 5 WC's out of the 7 seasons in which he raced? Jackie Stewart 3 out of the 8 years he raced? Jim Clark, lets not even get started on his talent.

What gets me about MS, is not his skill level which is undoubted, it is his bonehead mistakes such as we saw in Hungary. For someone who has been a WC for seven times, its still amazing some of the moves he does and has done his whole career.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

I'm trying to give him a chance to show me he can debate in an intelligent way. Alot of people say i'm too rough on Impy and maybe I am. This is his chance to prove me wrong or at least make his points and have them taken seriously. So how about it, make your points about why MS is the best ever other than 7 titles.

16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    maybe cos he has every record in F1, and his ability to build a winning team, and be 120% commited to whatver he's doing on and off the track with the team. his ability to speak and understand the car is another big headache off the engineers when the car isn't behaving the way it should.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

It's hard to rate him the best ever when there are a few guys that have higher winning percentages in both race wins and championships. To me at least, alot of his records and such seem to have come from the fact that he's been around so long. Give Senna, Prost, Stewart, Fangio etc as long a career as MS and he comes no where near any of those records. Fangio for one, would have been a 10 time champ they way he was going. I respect MS's longevity but in this era it is much safer than in the past which leads to longer careers in my opinion.

18. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Don't forget that when Fangio was racing he was already over the hill (by today's standards, and probably by the ones back then, too). Imagine what he could've done had he been 10 or 12 years younger. Schumacher's 7 titles would have paled...

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze

very well said. i remember was it moss or jackie was quoted saying that back in those days, if ever any driver gets into an accident, the lightest effect the driver might suffer is broken legs, which is considered OK back in those days. take that today. it'll never happen. we'seen so many crashes in this era, but most fo the time just knock or concussions. i think ralf's accident at Indy was the worst since MS's 99 crash.

however, i seriously think it'll only be silly to compare MS to fangio, etc, etc. all from different eras. different competitiveness. very very hard to rate or give opinions. it's like comparing Pele to wayne rooney. really doesn't make sense. IMO, old is gold. i'm a great MS fan, but i think he's the BEST OF HIS GENERATION. not of all time. stats say that he's the greatest out there. but like MS himself pointed out, stats means nothing. true, the world was denied in what could have been the greatest battle of all time when senna V ms. but i think ms could have gunned senna down, it might take a while, but lets look at logic. senna was not at his peak at that time. MS was young. if he went to Ferrari, ms i'm saying, i think he can still beat senna. close, but ms will take this one. MS has this ability to cope and deal with pressure, something i don't see that senna has. senna might have retired maybe 96 or 98. it's more less of how MS v FA now. the only difference is, MS is much more calmer and can deal with pressure outstandingly. MS could have retired last season, but he returned this season to give FA a run for his money.

anyways, i still think MS can't be compared to the rest. senna might be, but not fangio etc etc. however, i still think senna is better than MS anyways. deep down, i think MS himself knows this. it'll be an honour to be the KING, but MS knows, deep down, that senna, indeed, is the real KING.

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Agreed on all counts. Only I'm not so sure about how MS handles pressure. He's fine when he's under no pressure like in 2000 to 04 but he tends to be a bit rash when under real pressure from an opponent. Senna had to contend with a wickedly fast teammate, MS never has. MS has made many bad moves usually while under pressure. This seems to exsist even now. He threw away a huge points gain last race and it was all his own doing. All he had to do was finish the race and Alonso would only be about 5 points ahead instead of 10. Thank you for the well thought out post. This is what this section should be......

21. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    This is not about DICE
    This is not about IF
    This is not about BUT
    This is not about a Debate... there is no debate!

This is however about Michael Schumacher.

Michael has 7 world championships! The greatest racer of all time!

22. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve

The greatest racer of all time was Mario Andretti. I love MS, and Fangio,and Senna, et.al., but until someone wins every major championship in every major venue on the face of the earth like Mario did then Mario stands alone above anyone you or anyone else can think of.

Steve

23. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Mario Andretti has one world championship... Michael Schumcher has 7!

F1 is the only major event that matters!

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

This is about how you know nothing about racing and can't have a real discussion. Thanks for proving my point.

25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #175 bernardo66, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017