A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A road ragin' Prius in Boulder / Cyclists

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by BoulderFCar, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Not uncommon behavior here as well.

-F

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

The interesting thing is... it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it. Top Gear (automotive consumer/entertainment programme in the UK) did a test where they drove a Prius flat-out around a track and then matched pace behind it with a BMW M3. The result was that at those speeds the BMW M3 was more economical and planet-saving than the Prius.

In any case, the manufacture of a Prius (due to those batteries) was also shown by Top Gear to be a more ecologically destructive process than the manufacture and lifetime emissions of a Range Rover Vogue - the sort of vehicle that has a reputation for being a 'gas guzzler' over here. So even when driven economically and with 'environmental awareness', the Prius doesn't make sense as a global solution: it merely reduced local emissions and moves the problem elsewhere.

So that latter 30% really isn't doing any planet saving at all, either locally or on a global scale. The only thing it does is alleviate The Blissfully Unaware of guilt or gives them an sort of moral superiority or smugness that doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Quite simply, they bought the wrong car. :p

So go ahead and drive your Ferrari... you're doing your part for the planet. ;) :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The worst behavior I've ever seen in regard to a Prius car/driver is an Obama '08 sticker on the bumper...and that's but a passive statment of political preference.

A gentle tap on the horn to let the hardcore bicyclists know you're passing safely will at times get you the bird, curses or both.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
  5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what does honking your horn at a cyclist do? cars are passing cyclists all the time and the cyclists are use to it. any use of the horn is interpreted as aggressive and car is telling cyclist they don't believe in sharing the road.

two abreast cyclists are bad, often they are just talking and don't hear a car come up upon them, bad as a texting or cell phone driver. however, on narrow single lane roads cars shouldn't be passing the cyclist if oncoming traffic or no pass zone, same as if you came up on a car. often a cyclist will be a foot or more left of the right line to keep a car from buzzing them where they shouldn't be passing. 3,500 lb. car vs. 16 lb. bike, take a breath and 30 seconds to pass safely.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Sounds like just want I want (308s have wimpy horns), but I lose enough oil as it is!

9. The best cure for this is a very close pass, about 1-2 feet from them, combined with an air horn. I'd say around 60% of the time it makes them crash. :)

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know you are joking as otherwise you would be the biggest idiot in the world.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The last time I personally tested out which car was best for picking up Chicks I was driving a VW Beetle but your observation makes me glad those days are behind me.

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL! :D

A 5-door Peugeot 106 worked just fine for me about 8 years ago. The chick I picked up became my fiancée in June. So those days are behind me too and I couldn't be happier. :D

Admittedly, I did take some stick from family (on both sides) for waiting 8 years to propose... :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #38 wax, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    '71 VW bug convertible =
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If I wasn't just born in the hippie daze, my motto for hippie chicks would have been shave them, bathe them, and THEN lay them. :eek:

15. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I got ya beat. 9 years. :) And congrats.

I may have run into this same Prius here in Utah recently, but it still had it's Utah plates...then again, all of Utah is kind of like this.

As far as cyclists go... I was on my street with a cyclist in the center of the travel lane. I went around with no problems and he started yelling at me for some reason saying to "share the road." No traffic, plenty of room, and he should have been as far over as possible.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Could be a catchy business slogan!

CW

17. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread has made me notice Priuses more. A lot of little old ladies do drive them.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

19. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
  20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Utah is the worst! The drivers there are horrible!

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What will pious people do if they can no longer buy a Pious, oops I mean Prius?

Dave

22. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    Hug a tree for support?

;)

23. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    I agree entirely. Any horn use, especially within 100 feet, just makes cyclists angry. That should be evident, though, from the middle fingers you get after honking at them.

Wow, man. Not all cyclists are granola-munching car haters. This is the kind of behavior that makes me want to start carrying a gun somewhere on my frame.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Already thought this one through, I have a CHL and can legally carry while I ride, but don't because...

1) I'm working out hard and very emotional when a car drives aggressively towards me, those two things are working against me making a good decision in a acute period of time.

2) Kinda like putting keys in your back jersey, if you take a fall with a gun back there it could increase chance of serious injury. Something that hard on your spine.

3) By the time a car does something that threatens your life, then it will be over and they won't be threatening by the time you can pull. At that point it would just be "payback" and you would be charged with something. The exception would be if driver stopped and came back at you with a deadly weapon.

If a car hits or even buzzes a cyclist with intent causing injury they will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, a felony wherever you are. Use to be hard to prove and law enforcement often wouldn’t pursue it, but now many cyclists are starting to wear video systems on their helmet. You will start seeing more serious charges against drivers with this video proof.

Amazing the very caring and smart people that give much money and time to charities being good people otherwise, but treat cyclists like they rapped your wife.

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #50 NeuroBeaker, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just hate it when people rap at my significant other. :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login