A quick tour of the Nürburgring Nordschleife | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A quick tour of the Nürburgring Nordschleife

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Chicane, Feb 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I could watch videos like that all day--just need to find a way to make a living doing it:) I met Stuck a few years ago in Montreal, and he seemed pretty cool. I would have loved the chance to talk more (it was in our hotel lounge, but we didn't notice him until he got up to walk out). I wonder how many laps he's driven around the Nordschleife...

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sadly that happened to a couple members

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67332028&postcount=1

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    was that car a 6-speed manual? if so that was some crazy fast shifting

4. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Wow! Thanks for the vid. I couldn't believe he took that downhill turn (3 corner before the 2nd karussell) flat out. That's some scary ****. And yes that was a 6 speed manual. I was counting gears all the way through.

5. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Turn out the lights and open the video up full screen (if you have surround sound even better).
    That last straight was insane, he had to have been doing 200+.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Actually Hans Stuck is probably the man who knows the Nordschleife best bar none. He said a few months ago that the terrain shifts every winter so he keeps having to adjust: is that subtlety or what?!

I have a record there: 7.30.....

...hours!

I did it on foot summer 84 during the oldtimer GP weekend and even though there is no footpath along 80% of the lap, and a bit of barbed bushes I loved every minute of it.

Lapping it the most important thing is to NEVER put a wheel on the curbs they are way too high and unsettle the car badly.

Actually that is the second most important thing: the first is this: the circuit is in control, leave your ego at home and come with skill concentration and a lot of humility.

Once you have that correct attitude you are half way safe. Just remember it is not Disney World: it can bite: a Bugatti EB110 owner wanted to go there with his car, he has no track experience, I dissuaded him, he will go in normal cars first.

Then just take late apexes always be in control of the weight of the car in reference to braking in a straight line as much as possible and...enjoy the time of your life!

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is imho probably the best video ever posted on this website! Damn I miss not having a PS2 and GT4 'sad'!

8. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I was breathless at the halfway point. Amazing! Had to watch it twice!!

Love Stuck!

9. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Most people don't go to the nurburgring more then once in their life, unless they live in europe.

It's not your money either, so what are you so worried how much he is willing to spend?

10. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
  11. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    All you have to do is wait for GT5 on the PS3. Unfortunately that might not be until next year.

12. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    US is getting GT5: Prologue in April. Japan already got it. You can order it and it will work on your PS3. I have the game plus the G25 racing wheel. The game works with the clutch and the gated shifter, and it's freaking awesome. The two Ferraris in the game are the F430 and 599. Strangely neither has the F1 transmission. The developers must've gotten manual test mules when they where putting the cars into the game.

13. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    The BMW video is awesome, but the older video from the 70s looks scary.

The PS3 has fantastic graphics, but the Xbox 360 has MUCH better driving dynamics, which are much more realistic. Forza 2 is the most realistic game as far as dynamics go, but PGR4 makes it easier to drive because it is more forgiving.

14. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i'm planning to get the PS3 at the end of this year. but is the Xbox better? my bro is urging me to go for the Xbox instead. but i'm thinking of the PS because of GT5 and F1 2007. the Xbox doesn't have both games, right?

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I tried playing a racing game on Xbox back in '04 and it sucked big time compared to GT3 on my PS2 but that could be just because it was the original Xbox?

16. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    that's the point, the track was fairly overcrowded. and 2008 is the first year when the coaches are forbidden to access, as a way of keeping the road in good shape

17. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    I don't know about that since I have only tried GT4 but most agree that for realism and handling characteristics, GT4/5 is the way to go.

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't care how much he spends, just doing a quick tally of the costs involved for a couple of hours on the 'Ring.

19. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    No matter the cost, its money well spent.

20. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Play GT5: Prologue. It blows everything out of the water as far as physics go.

21. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    It's really up to what you want to do with it. 360 = god for playing online with anyone, the price for live is worth it and endless fun ensues. My friend who owns a ps3 came over and played cod4 on live, needless to say he was even more tempted to buy a 360. He also mentioned that ps3 is **** for online play, meaning it isn't very organized; but hey if it's free who care's right? 360 is also getting a good racing game from the maker's of toca race driver, called "grid" which is supposed to come out soon. So take your pic both have their ups and downs and if you like single player more ps3 is probably the system for you.

22. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    No objective human being has ever played GT4 and Forza II back to back and concluded that GT4 is the more realistic game.

It has the edge in graphics, but GT4's tyre physics are pathetic, it's AI is risible, and you can't play online. And I used to be the world's biggest GT fan until I actually played Forza.

GT5 might be able to get back on terms, but the chances of seeing that game before 2009 are slim.

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I have. GT4 is a LOT better than Forza II simply because it has much better force feedback: Playing it with the Logitech GT wheel you can feel much more subtle differences and nuances than when playing Forza II with the XBox360 wheel. GT4 wins hands down.

BTW: I'm fairly neutral in this debate since I have both consoles, a PS3 with GT4 and a XBox360 with Forza and Forza II. So I couldn't care less "who wins". I tell it like it is.

I don't think the tire physics are bad, in fact I find that a strong point as it actually wears the tire down based on track and driving style. I don't care about the AI and I never play online.

GT5 will be the new benchmark however.

RACER magazine had recently an interesting article where they mentioned that turn in points at blind corners are actually marked on the real track. Those marks are missing in any of the games.

Not sure about that: Walter Roehrl might actually have done more laps than Stuck in his job as professional development driver for Porsche.

I managed to beat Stuck in basically the same car (virtually of course). Oddly enough I never managed to beat Derek Bell in the mighty Porsche 956.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks. i don't play online, so i guess i'll go for the PS, should i get one of those end of this year.

25. HossB

HossB Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2005
    DC
    Full Name:
    Ben
    that's an amazing video! what a machine! He definately knows how to handle that car.