A Potentially Controversial Conclusion (or What a "Major" *really* means). | FerrariChat

A Potentially Controversial Conclusion (or What a "Major" *really* means).

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by CCampbell, Jun 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCampbell

CCampbell Karting

Jul 10, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1 CCampbell, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    Good morning, all. I'm Collin and I'm struggling this morning because I decided last night not to buy a Ferrari (again). I'd like to understand if/how I am wrong about what I've concluded about Ferrari. If you are interested in weighing in, I'd appreciate it. I am *certainly* not attempting to upset/disparage anyone. If I do, I apologize in advance. Help me understand if/how I am wrong!

First of all to attempt to 'qualify' myself for your attention, I am capable of buying a Ferrari. I have been doing my "homework" for years. I was born in '74 - was wide awake in the 80's - and grew up with Boxer and TR posters. Been on FChat since July of 2005. Got to see Alonso rip around Silverstone in the '51 375 (up close) last summer - before actually winning the British GP - a scene that pretty much does *all the advertising ever needed* for the marque. I have been lucky to own a wide variety of cars from Alfas to Porsches to Jags to a Lamborghini. In short, I deeply appreciate the individual nuances/strengths/personalities of each of these marques and cars and, accordingly, I *love* Ferrari.

In the end, however, I cannot get myself to buy one because of the strange "Major" phenomenon. I was recently looking at another thread about what a 2012 Major service includes/costs and something struck me. That thread went a bit sideways but the aim of the original question seemed to me to be one of expectations. I think its a fair question. The problem is, frustratingly, that it is impossible to know (from a mechanical standpoint) what a "typical" Ferrari will need. This is explained by the expert mechanics in the thread. There are too many variables. But I've (sadly) concluded that that isn't what a "Major" is referring to anyway. More on that in a second.

All of these machines - and there aren't many of them - have been owned by different people and have been exposed to all sorts of different forces. Many, sadly, have actually been abused. This "abuse" may have been in the form of hard use, delayed maintenance or poorly executed maintenance.

Compounding this is the real (but ignored or 'explained away' around here for obvious reasons) problem that Ferraris, when compared to other machines produced by just about every other competitor at the time, were designed and manufactured without much relative emphasis on durability or ease of maintenance. They deteriorate rapidly and unevenly. I know that this is frequently blamed on owner abuse around here but I find it hard to absolve the factory of all responsibility. It is typically explained away as either being "uniquely Italian" or "no-compromise" engineering. From another angle, using a different set of quality criteria, this would be regarded by Germans and the Japanese as "poor" engineering. Obviously everyone around here believes that the good design/manufacturing decisions made by the factory outweigh the bad design decisions. The Ferrari automobile design/manufacturing 'recipe' obviously works for those on this board. The Japanese and German recipes fall short.

As a result, there really is no accurate or ethical way for anyone to "generally" predict what maintenance on a specific Ferrari will cost. Until the machine can be evaluated - up close - there is no way to understand what that specific car's unique needs are.

This is the reality for all cars.

The number of people who can do a proper evaluation (and any subsequent repair work to any number of possible failures) of a Ferrari, however, are scarce. In order to get this right, they must be talented, have good judgment and have expertise about the orignal design/complexity of the car. They will have to have access to special parts. They may have to have access to special tools.
    The economic reality is that there simply isn't enough demand (there aren't enough Ferraris) to incent more people to invest in developing these attributes (something that isn't cheap or easy to achieve).
    As a result of a near complete lack of competition and the cost to develop the attributes in the first place, the hourly cost of accessing these services is high. Furthermore, every mechanic will use their judgement to make a determination about what is "needed" and what is "recommended". Its up to each owner to decide how much to trust the mechanic (and also what level of maintenance is comfortable to them).

Fine - I get that - the hourly rate is high, the parts are expensive and its important to build an honest relationship with a trusted mechanic. Econ 101. Exotic cars 101.

No problem. My expectations are in check. You have to pay if you want to play. I understand all of this. I am buying a special machine built to a different set of quality criteria than a Camry.

But here where I get confused and frustrated - and probably controversial. Help me understand if I am wrong.

It seems to me that the market - and this board - has decreed the following "truth": EVERY FERRARI, *REGARDLESS OF ITS ACTUAL PHYSICAL CONDITION* HAS AT LEAST ~$10K WORTH OF PROBLEMS AT *ALL TIMES*.

No questions about it. All preowned Ferraris need $10K worth of work.

This accepted "truth" - no matter how factually inaccurate - presents only two ownership 'exit' options:

A) Buy a car, maintain as you wish, give it what it actually needs (according to your mech) when it needs it and keep it forever. Understand that everyone will regard your car as having "major" problems at all times, *even if it doesn't*.

B) If you DO ever want to sell it - you must produce proof that you have just paid MAJOR dollars frequently and recently (and ideally from one of the mechanics on this board). If you cannot provide this receipt, you must discount your car - regardless of its actual condition - by $10K.

Any attempt to claim that you maintained the car yourself is "shade tree" futile. You cannot be trusted to have done a sufficient job. Any attempt to claim that the car has been pampered and is in sufficiently good physical condition (without having proved that you paid major dollars recently) is futile.

This is what a "Major" service means - it isn't about what was *actually done* or what the car *actually* needs - it is simply about what was recently spent on it. You must spend it to be able to sell your car. Even if the car doesnt need it. Whoever buys your car is making a commitment to spending the same ~10K (again, regardless of whether the machine actually needs it or not and regardless of when they decide to sell it - even the next week - because they *must* have identified another 10K problem in order to want to flip it so quickly).

Am I wrong to conclude that all of you owners consciously committed to this when you bought your car? How did you (mentally) get past it?

I'm certainly not afraid of exotic cars, but I have a hard time swallowing a phantom "Major" expense.

cheers -

Collin
    (current: '93 Lotus Esprit, '98 Jaguar VDP, '89 Porsche 928S4, '87 MB 560SL)

PS - Sorry this post is so long.

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I shall dub it : annual dues :)

on the serious side, I understand and concur with your premises with one exception: The $10k 'major' is a factor according to the model. Mondials getting a 'major' as described for $10k is way too much. On a 512BB, just a downpayment.

my two

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Jun 7, 2012
    First of all Collin, you can begin by stopping the ranting and raving on what a major is!

Owning a Ferrari is not about a "major" or major service. Its about fulfilling a life dream, its about passion, its about spirit of driving a beautiful Italian exotic that no one on your block has, well unless you live in Beverly Hills.

Like any car, there's maintenance involved. Cars made for the masses tend to be cheaper on the maintenance parts and service as its volume business. Ferrari's are rare, parts are expensive, labor for a good mechanic is pricey. Okay, so now lets get into what a major service is. Its an arbitrary marketing term for shops to drum up business.

There's certain things that needs to get done in this process as so many hours on the engine and so many years has passed for rubber hoses and belts need replacing.

As long as you cover the important things, like timing belts, bearings, oil changes, checking hoses and water pumps, you should be okay.

I don't know what model Ferrari you are looking to purchase but depending on the year and model, servicing can be as little as $1500 - 10,000 or more. The mechanics will find more things that will need replacing once they start digging into it. There's cars with engine out and cars with engine in for maintenance that also weigh into the costs of repairs.

I try to do all of my own service with documented receipts and photos to show and I have learned alot through the last year. I use to be afraid of owning a Ferrari because like you, I was not sure of the costs of ownership. But its only been alittle more than maintaining my Porsche or Jeep if you do your homework. It helps to buy the best car you can afford with good service history!

I hope this helps you from a regular guy that does not make alot of money, but fortunate enough to have my health, a beautiful and understanding wife, and 2 beautiful kids who also enjoy my Mondial 3.2 on family outings! And to me, that's all of the justification in the world, life goes by fast, enjoy the journey (why not in a Ferrari)! :):):)

Quote of the Day:
    When you drive an open car, your driving in technicolor,
    When your in a tin box, its like being in black and white.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think any car has potential to cost but with any exotic it will probably cost a little more than your average 'daily' car.
    I can't comment on service prices in the USA but can in the UK. I owned a Mondial and I did do a total cost of ownership, excluding insurance (Road Fund license) and fuel. I think over five years it was about £4.5k - £5k (an average of £1000/year) a low mileage car and if I'm honest a bit of a garage queen of which many say will need more money spent on it?
    So far my F355 has cost me circa £9k in two years over the asking price, though I did buy the car knowing it needed some work. I expect this £4.5k/year average to drop!

I have required less things in two years on my F355 than I have on my daily Alfa Romeo, the Alfa parts though are sooo much cheaper. I have spent less than £300 in six months on that.

I don't do all the work on the Ferrari (which increases cost due to labour) but do on the Alfa.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    If you buy a car with service records you will be able to see what was done and when and you will know what the car will need right away. Also if you buy a car that has been well sorted and looked after you shouldn't have any issues BUT these are old cars and things break down. I bought my Mondial this year had the car gone through before I started driving it and so far I have put about 600 miles on it without any issues and I'm sure there are others who can say the same.

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Live the dream...buy a Ferrari and enough with what it costs to maintain one. There is no logical financial argument for ownership. If you want a cheap car to own, buy a Toyota. These are old, expensive cars, most of which need TLC. Factor that into your budget and enjoy life.

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I am no billionaire but I know that when I buy a Ferrari I am expecting it to cost me minimum $2500 annually in maintenance regardless of history, and that's made it a lot easier for me getting used to it 27 Ferraris later. There is always going to be a cost attached to the purchase price.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Buying a Ferrari is a lot like getting married. The wedding is only a part of the cost of the relationship. I've been smiling a lot since I made this purchase. Its been an incredibly happy marriage.

Not once did you mention the biggest cost of car ownership - depreciation. I can tell you that my Mondial is the only car that I've ever owned that has actually appreciated. ( I was recently offered more than what I paid for it and I wasn't even trying to sell it.)

Life is short. Don't worry so much. There's no rational decision here, only an emotional one that you will be thankful that you made. I am. :)

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, Jun 7, 2012
    Ferraris are expensive to maintain. That shouldn't be news to anybody.

However, save my brief experience with a Lamborghini Countach, I've never driven a car that offers me the visceral thrill of a Ferrari at full song. I've never seen a car more beautiful or more definitive in its personality and purpose.

You've been on this board for 5 years. There must be something that keeps you coming back. My advice, there is no way to rationalize your way into a Ferrari, but a million ways to rationalize your way out of one.

FWIW, owners, both rich and poor, have made the financial sacrifices necessary to own these wonderful machines because they understand one of automotive worlds' simple truths...

There is Ferrari and then there is everything else.

I hope that when I am on my deathbed, I will have long forgotten the money I spent, but not the memories I have created.

Viva Ferrari.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Buy the car you like. Try to find a good shop to work with you and your level of maintnance to keep the car in good running condition. Maintain it up to YOUR standards and enjoy it. Keep all your bills to prove what have been done to it and let the future buyers decide if they want it or not when time to sell come. Enjoy YOUR car and YOUR life.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Your post is excellent and well thought out but the bottom line is... what kind of Ferrari experience are you looking for? Granted, if you plan on having a perfect example to win trophies every time then yes, the 10 grand rule will apply. Nothing wrong with that.

However, if you want to enjoy your car like most of us do then I wouldn't worry about the details.

I look at it this way; I'm not making payments so any "costs" (other than normal service), even if you consider the high side of $2K per year, that's only $167 per month. :)

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Buy a new Ferrari with a warranty. Problem solved.

13. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Your conclusion is correct.

Don't buy a Ferrari.

Too much Head, not enough Heart.

No one ever chiseled on their gravestone "He owned many affordable vehicles."

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    +1

15. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I respectfully disagree with the OP's contention that the market's perception is that every Ferrari needs at least $10K worth of work at any time. It obviously depends on the model. The prudent suggestion to potential buyers of a Mondial or 3X8 is that they be prepared for a car to require $10K worth of work when they buy it, because even a thorough PPI will miss certain things which can increase repair costs rapidly.

As a Lotus Esprit owner, you must be more than passingly familiar with an exotic with a relatively affordable purchase price which leads to deferred maintenance issues on a lot of examples. Not to say yours necessarily suffered from such a fate, but so many of those cars have been bought by individuals excited to get into supercar performance and rarity for Corvette money, and then found out later that their cars needed more money for maintenance than they were willing to cough up.

A "major" starts with timing belts & tensioner bearings, rebuild or replacement of the water pump. It becomes a major because of all the "while you have that apart..." stuff. Easy stuff like oil change, coolant flush, spark plugs, ignition wires, inspection of fuel lines & coolant hoses, etc. Since you have viewed the 2012 major costs & services thread, I know you know all this, and you have obviously gleaned that being a responsible owner does not mean replacing fuel lines and coolant hoses and the clutch every three years.

So, when you write: "Am I wrong to conclude that all of you owners consciously committed to this when you bought your car?", the answer is yes. I committed to the possibility that there would be several unforeseen maintenance issues that might require up to approximately $10K right off the bat, but I did not commit to some position whereby I had to spend $10K the first year or I'd be deferring maintenance in some way which would shame myself and embarrass any other Ferrari owner who crossed paths with me.

When you write: "How did you (mentally) get past it?," well, quite honestly, there are some buyers out there who will run from a car that has had the maintenance and even major repairs done by the owner him (or her) self rather than by an established mechanic. On the other hand, there are plenty of buyers who recognize that a 25 or 30 year old Ferrari is not that complicated a machine to work on (even if it takes a bit more time than a more "user-friendly" engineered car of any vintage), and appreciates the care and attention that a loving owner gives to the car. I do as much as I reasonably can to my own car. Anything over my head, yeah, it goes to someone who has more time, tools, and training (the three ts). But I would not hesitate to buy a Mondial from PVDirk, were his for sale and I in the market, or from many of the other owners here on this site who self-maintain.

As for how I mentally got past "Understand[ing] that everyone will regard your car as having "major" problems at all times, *even if it doesn't*," I really don't care what anyone else thinks about my car. I love the car for what it is to me, not for what anyone else thinks about it.

Wow, that was longer than I meant it to be. There are a lot of great responses here that convey the message better than I'm doing it. Bottom line: Buy the car you want. Live the life you want.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm on board with most of your comments but I think what gets missed is that a sorted car has few issues and maintenance really isn't that bad. However all Mondials are old cars now. If I'd have known I was going to sink 10K into mine I never would have purchased it but I'm glad I didn't know. I also went far beyond what was necessary. I took on what I call a minor mechanical restoration. I had a plan to use my car extensively for a year driving all over the country, and I did. The car was reliable with no breakdowns. In 3 years and 18K miles the car has never left me stranded so it's been great.

It seems that many of these cars are punished regardless of maintenance so if you look and find one where its been properly maintained and updated you might get a car you can use for years with a very small output.

If I had unlimited funds I could probably dump 10K into the car right now but it would be redoing the a/c which I live without. It would be rebuilding the front end which my car does not need now but will some day. It would be pulling my alternator apart and having it rebuilt for no good reason other than it looks dirty. These things aren't necessary and I didn't even replace my water pump when I did my service and it's still going like a champ.

I think we all have to decided the level to which we keep these cars. Some keep them at show level. Some drive them on a 10 year or longer belt interval and a little smoke out the engine bay is normal. I just drive mine, don't want compromised performance and prefer that it does not leak oil. I want a driver and I've been very happy. Since my work 2 years ago I've had 1 new cv boot tear and put in a fuel pump because it became noisy once. Running costs have been very low.

Ultimately each persons experience will be different but similar to others here. All I can say is while mine has been used regularly it is not fussy at all.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. :)

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Speaking for myself I agonized for years over buying a Ferrari and what it was going to cost and if I should do it but once I bought the car I find that I don't think about it. You have to reach a point where if you can afford it just go for it and if you find you don't have the stomach for it get rid of it.

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thats awesome!

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Collin

Everyone who has responded to you is exactly right, even the surly ones. Don't question this purchase, unless of course it means food or college for your children. I have the dubious distinction of having one of the most expensive and lengthiest "major" in recent Mondial history and most here probably think i'm a loon for going through it but in the end it will be a well sorted car for me to enjoy and i've already forgotten the money I've spent, unfortunately the time issue is still going on.

As crazy as it is, i'm looking to add another to my foolishness. I'm middle aged now, and i simply don't care to be logical or pragmatic about my choice in cars... although i shop for clothes on the clearance racks only, go figure. its a priority thing and i have to agree with my buddy Jay, too much head and not enough heart, stick with the Lotus.

21. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I own four of the damned things- And I maintain them to a somewhat ridiculous degree. It ain't cheap. They're not the fastest and in the case of three of my four Fcars- not the prettiest- but really... there's nothing like a Ferrari. Even an "unloved" one.

I've never had the Brit-Car feeling (As a graduate of the Joseph Lucas night time driving academy i think I can comment on this) when driving ANY Ferrari- that feeling of impending doom "What's going to break now". A well maintained Ferrari is a strong reliable car, not a rolling ball of compromise. There's a sense of style and purpose and engineering brilliance in every Ferrari. There's also a lot of really stupid "What were they thinking" stuff on all of them. What can you do.

The only thing better than owning a Ferrari is owning MORE Ferraris.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1,000!

23. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello,

Several years ago I was looking at a Ferrari Mondial Coupe. It was on consignment at my local Lamborghini dealership. It was the right color with the right miles and a full service history.

At the time I was driving a Porsche 944S (underrated car, but thats for a diffent website) and was used to the $1,200 "major" and the $1,000 brake job. So when I saw the prices paid for the Ferrari service, I turned away and purchased another Porsche instead.

To this day I still regret that decision.

IMHO

Joe

24. CCampbell

CCampbell Karting

Jul 10, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    #24 CCampbell, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent stuff. I appreciate the respectful replies and thoughtful insights. After reflecting on the input and giving it some more thought today, I think I understand how I reached that "Phantom Major" conclusion - and why it's flawed. To reiterate the precise conclusion: there exists an unavoidable $10K fee to be able to *sell* your Mondial (regardless of its *actual* condition).

It's actually fairly easy to reach that conclusion clicking around this board and reviewing most of the available literature on the topic of Mondial ownership (some pretty nasty Mondial generalizations can be found in the books shown below - only a small sample from my library). And that is where I went wrong. That GENERAL conclusion - like a "typical" major - is flawed because it has nothing to do with a *specific* car or a *real* situation.

It is simply untrue (and unfair) to regard a Mondial (of any vintage - 2 or 4 or T) as *objectively/generally* certain to be more of a hassle than, say, a similar condition Merak SS or Jalpa or Esprit (this was never about "affordable" cars). I particularly appreciate the position that Octane magazine tends to take regarding these cars - as well as the post above from Full_Garage - these are fundamentally *good* machines. Its just much easier to find [ugly] data about Mondial ownership - there just isn't as much discussion/coverage about the expense of taking care of the other cars (excepting the Lotus). Blame that on the enthusiasm that Ferrari generates I suppose. If anyone knows of a (functioning) Merak board, for instance, let me know.

It's obviously certainly possible to sell a specific Mondial without a fresh $10K receipt - its just a matter of proving - in my driveway - that my *specific* car doesn't need it (if it doesn't) and that it *has* been proactively taken care of (if it has).

Simple enough.

Now its on with the search (when I get back from Europe next week)! For tonight, I'll go to the basement and play Outrun!

Thanks all -

Collin

PS - Incidentally, regarding the charge of 'too much head, not enough heart' - be assured that this thought process (considering the exit strategy prior to investing) is made *necessary* BECAUSE of my heart: My concern about a phantom $10K 'fee' to sell isn't really about "A" single Ferrari - it's precisely because I am certain that my heart will, after owning a Mondial for a year or two, begin to long for a 412 and a TR and a 328 and a 308GT4 etc. etc. If I actually knew I was going to keep it forever, then its a non issue. Who cares what other people think (until you are trying to sell). If I did have to deal with a required "complete 944" expense pre-sale each time, that would quickly become annoying.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I like to say, if you buy a $2K VW beetle and put $2K into it, you still have a 2K beetle that just happens to run and stop better now. You can do it with any old car. Most cars require more $ in than they are worth to make them a reliable driver unless they are in great driver condition already. The trick is finding that car that is driver grade that has had loving care and appropriate maintenance and then you'll have a great car.

Talking out my backside, I think putting $10K into these cars might generate another $2K in sale price or maybe just make them a wee bit easier to sell than an equivalent car (excluding exceptional show type cars). They are old cars with a small market and high overall costs. $20K for a toy is a lot of money for the vast majority of people on this earth. I try to drive mine at every opportunity for every reason. It helps to call it a car instead of a toy, but everyone knows its still a toy.

Your analogy is spot on. For an old exotic in equavalent condition the costs for all cars will be high to get them to reliable driver stage. For me it was only how great the car is that keeps the smile on my face as I'm handing over the credit card.

I've also got the 412 bug but I have no money and other goals so it's easy just to poke around that area of the forum and try to read only about the problems. :D