A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by eric355, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Oh Sweet
    One thing good about Euro cars they are quite interchangeable

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Please show us how you machine it

An upgrade with a working OEM style park brake would be very nice

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Mine is a long term project I am gathering parts for, I purchased the discs a while ago, thinking about it they may be 456 rear discs, I will sit them on a spare rear corner I have next time I am in the garage and take a photo and post it up to show where a bit of adjusting is needed, from memory it looked straight forward when I last matched it all up

4. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I have the last set of brackets/adaptors Johan had. It was made specially for the Porsche calipers. As far as I can tell they are for 965 calipers. I am not sure if it'll work with big reds.
    Should anyone reputible want to make copies of the brackets that I have I wouldn't have a problem with that. I am not planing to do the upgrade for at least a month or two.
    I do however in exchange want details on the upgrade with pics for mechanically retarded people like myself:)

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #155 PAUL500, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I sat down and worked out all the dimensions for my project a couple of years ago, and its been gathering dust ever since whilst I got on with more important things.

With this thread back active I have had a dig around and here are all the various dimensions and part number for suitable genuine brembo discs.

Looking back it seems I actually went for 456 front discs as they are near identical to the depth of the stock 355 ones but as large and as thick as the 550 version where as the 550 fronts are 7mm deeper than stock 355. How this plays out with the Porsche adapters I have I am not sure of yet, simple enough to have suitable ones machined up if it is an issue or swap to 550 front discs, the 456 fronts are so cheap in comparison though.

At the rear I went for 456/550 as they are the same disc. They utilise the same brake shoes set up as the 355 but are overall deeper so some machining/spacing will be required to match them up to the calipers.

Its scary how much more expensive the stock 355 discs are from Brembo when they are actually smaller than the 456/550 ones
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    A simple drawing my do it so it can be reproduced

:)

7. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I have a machine shop here my plant works with. They don't do small items as such but I'll ask next week. Maybe we will get lucky.
    The 355 deserves better breaks.

8. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    #158 vjlax18, Jan 24, 2017
    I used the information that PAUL500 has and ordered rotors from Amazon.de. The total price for 2 rotors was $133.13 shipped to my door. The DesignTek calipers are very nice and were $512.87 shipped. Rennline brackets were $219.39 shipped as well. So the grand total was $865.39.

The caliper sits close to the rotor, but I'll know more when I get the pads in. I'm still waiting on those to be delivered. After I get the pads in, I can check the clearance of the caliper to the rotor and space the caliper and/or bracket as needed.

(Disclaimers: I know BBKs aren't really worth it in most cases. I know the calipers are copies of the Brembos. The car is mine and I do things that I like to it. I like red Ferraris and red meat. I like my $500 360 wheels. I will repaint the calipers. I will clean everything I find that's dirty. And any other disclaimer needed... :))

9. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Nice work! Which Rennline brackets did you use? I only see ref to Racer's Edge brackets in this thread.

10. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I used Rennline CS04 brackets. These are the same fitment as the ones listed by the OP, but I liked the larger gap at the bottom for clearance. There are other brackets out there for the same fitment and a little less expensive as these.

11. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Awesome, thanks. I've used Rennline on my past 911s so I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Looking forward to your updates.

12. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    #162 vjlax18, Mar 15, 2017
    Quick update to what I found. The Rennline bracket sat too low, so I picked up one from Lindsey Racing designed for 330mm rotors. They fit OK with standard Brembo 456 rotors, but should be spaced up a bit. They need to be spaced up 5mm for use with Girodisc. I installed 5 1mm spacers to get the correct height but have my local machine shop making brackets that are 5mm taller than the LR ones. Spacers are normal and are part of the Girodisc kits for Porsche to use larger rotors. Wilwood does this too with their kits.

The brackets from LR are https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-8788-13-BRCA.html

308 GTB likes this.
  13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Lets make some correct ones

I'm in 100%

Or turn down the rotors a few mm

14. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Can't turn the rotors. It's the hat to rotor hardware that interferes with the pads.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What hackers !!!! LOL

Grind he calipers :)

16. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    #166 vjlax18, Mar 15, 2017
  17. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok and after just a little bit more digging...

The different between the Big Red and the Big Blacks are the offsets are different. A good example is the picture in post #100. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/139506712-post100.html

Big Reds require 5mm spacers to match the offset of the Big Blacks.

So off the shelf brackets from LR should work perfectly with the Big Blacks.

SoCal1 likes this.
  18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #168 kenneyd, Mar 20, 2017

I have oem big reds with 550 rotors and stock 355 wheels... fit perfectly with zero issues

308 GTB likes this.
  19. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    #169 vjlax18, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    What bracket are you using?

Edit... Are you referring to the wheel fitment or caliper to rotor clearance?

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think I was referring to your link of post 100 which was wheel clearance related, but 332mm caliper clearance is prefect as well.

I'm using user "madturk" brackets

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

21. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I linked to post 100 to show the picture of the caliper. The mounting points of the Big Blacks shown in that picture are 5mm "higher" than the Big Reds.

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

I see what you are talking about. Weird, i always read the big reds and big black were identical. Guess not?

23. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    If anyone is interested in trying to do this upgrade, I have the stock 456 rotors for sale since I used Girodiscs.

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In my early HPDE track sessions, I did have a few problems with overheating the F355 brakes; one of which lead to an off track excursion.......

However, after switching to Ferodo pads, and 550º+ fluid not later than the day before the track session, I have been able to do 72 minute stint (1 full tank of gas) while circulating within 2 seconds of the lap record at TWS (long course) most of the laps in 103º Texas summer heat.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  25. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    You don't have any pics you call send me of how you did the air ducts and the hose attachments do you pal. I want to do it to my car