A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by eric355, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Thanks Goth. I am sure you will convince him ... they look great ... was an option I looked at to replace my rotors ... before I decided a more radical change ... engineering this set-up was also part of the fun.

2. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are the stock Brembo 555 rotors (rear) also compatible in the REAR of the F355? I've found a set of Brembo 550 rotors cross-drilled for a great price.

3. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    GREAT work Eric!!!

I'm sure you looked into this...but is it any easier to use a 360 brake setup, if it's any better? I assume the answer is no since you didn't do it ;)

4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    You can have a look there, and compare the dimensions of the discs:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/catalogo_AM/2007/index.html

I don't think that the 550 rear discs can be installed. There is a significant 4.5 mm difference between the 2 types of discs from the hub interface plane to the inner face of the disc. They may clash with the hub holder.
    Also they are 28mm thick and will need an exchange of the calipers.

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Thanks.
    yes I looked also at the 360 brake configuration. Those discs are also 330mm, but only 28mm thick, and have a completely different offset (distance between the hub interface plane and the friction faces). The mid-plane of the caliper would have to be moved outward by 19mm which is not practical at all

6. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, Eric.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The 550 front and rear are different size and if you don't buy the rotors will you PM who has them? I need an extra set.

8. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    Looks great! very nice project. Thanks for sharing :)

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Great job Eric, looks absolutely perfect! Always well thought through projects from you :)

I am in the process of upgrading my car this winter and this might be a good winter project to add. But first I will upgrade to R-tires and Öhlin shocks... Maybe a new steering wheel if I can make it fit with the F1 paddles and then maybe new brakes…

Have been taking the car to more and more track days but haven’t really had any fading problems, so brakes are probably last on my winter project list right now ;-)

Planing any other project for the winter, Eric?

10. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    FBB:

PM sent. Wait till you see the price! LOL

Best regards,

Scott

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Thanks Johan.

I followed with great interest your threads about the chassis improvement .... then, I do think to install Fiorano antisway bars and springs :)

But the short term project is to do very soon a complete major, including the headers even if I have not yet any symptom. I will probably start mid-october for a full month of work.

I will also complete my "twin MAF" set-up. It works great but, up to now, I made only some trials with the MAF combiner in the engine bay. It runs too hot there to be reliable enough. I will take the opportunity of the major to install some extra wires so that I can place it in the car, close to the Motronic.

12. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hi Eric,
    Good luck with the major and please share any valuable information that you might find along the way... I am due for major next year :)

Have you started any thread about your twin MAF? Sounds interesting, havnt heard about this before.

13. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Hopefully the major process is already very well documented here. It will be of a great help, but obviously I will share my experience if I find some valuable tips.

For what concerns the twin MAF set-up, you can find some posts in that thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156710&highlight=monster+MAF

14. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    About the MAF, holy sh..t, you have been busy! Looks absolutely great, cant wait to se if you can detect any incerase in power. Will follow that thread closely :)

15. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #40 johan6504, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am going for it!

Bought these callipers and black Ferrari heat resistant vinyl stickers today. Next up is rotors and brackets...

Will be a nice winter projects :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
  17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    T hought Eric already figured this out. He used an off the shelf bracket and modified it. He never did say what he did or what bracket he used IIRC. Maybe all he had to do was drill bigger holes for the ferrari bolt holes in the hub carrier. Anyway, this is an old thread. Are you using the porker caliper or something else? Are you going to make a bracket that we can all buy? If so awesome. If that is your ultimate goal why not use F550 calipers so people do not have to repaint and ferrari script the porker calipers? Or is there another caliper we can use that is cheaper, off the shelf, and with cheap pads?

18. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Eric was kind enough to share the basic data for the brackets with me. He used a bracket from Racers Edge called MC-6000 and did some mods to it. Looking at the mods he had to do I thought it might be worth trying to do them from scratch (which I think was his first intention).

These brackets are fairly simple and I have contacts at a mechanical workshop that can help me out. I am still using the Porsche calipers (called Big Black) and I don't have a problem spending a little time to repaint them in red. To me it’s actually more of a fun winter project ;-) If it turns out to be a reasonable cost of making the brackets I might make a batch (or just share the design). We have to see how this goes first...

One more thing: All cred for this info goes to Eric who started this mod thread, I am basically just following his instructions, thanks Eric!

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Johan,

maybe if you did this http://www.emachineshop.com/ the CNC file would be available for all to see if this was not going to be a money making venture for you. I think it would be so cool if Fchater's started using EMS to make small runs of needed parts or improvements. CNC files could be a Fchat Tech section sticky and Fchater's could go there and use those files to make parts. Just think about 348 plenum spacers for a bit more power, brake conversion brackets like you are doing, delrin suspension bushings, spring perches so we could use hyperco springs. Maybe you could be the first to start off such a thread.

lanab likes this.
  20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    could this setup be fitted to a 348?

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you keep your eyes out, you can get some good deals. I picked up a set of 4 575M brake discs (same size as 550 at 330 mm) for only $200 plus shipping.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    GEEZ that's cheap! I need a pair of front discs. Keep your eyes peeled for me.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- You got it. I have spare discs and FHP pads, so am set for a long while.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #49 johan6504, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not in this for the money...
    Made a quick eMachineShop drawing, will finalize and publish the files when I have completed the tests.

Quick price calculation suggested that 4 of these in aluminium 6061 T6 would cost ~$300.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Johan...Awesome. I'll start a thread about e-machine and talk to Rob about making it a sticky. I have not worked with emachine myself. Can the file be posted on fchat just like a jpeg or pdf so that fchat users can just click on it an download it?