A missed opportunity for Ferrari | FerrariChat

A missed opportunity for Ferrari

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by AxerJk, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    What happens when you use a spatula to design a car. :)

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Fashion changes. The Rainbow was very much of its time, and representative of Bertone’s studio in the ‘70s.

jm2 and AxerJk like this.
  4. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Exactly. Plus, you could argue that the Countach in that movie looked like a snowplow with the wing on the front. But we still loved it because the movie didn't take itself seriously and the quirkiness of the cars reflected that.

Chris

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I thought that car was so cool when it was introduced. Not necessarily a Ferrari, but a thought provoking design study. Only Bertone could pull that one off. Beautiful? Not so much, but I still think it’s very cool.

Rosey and AxerJk like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Nieman Marcus sold one or two of the cars. I think Bertone had one in its collection as well. while age has not been super kind - it was far better looking than the 308Dino that it was based on. However 308Dinos are now looking really good to me ... its strange how tastes evolve.

AxerJk likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sort of like the 599 and 360 to me. They’re beginning to look downright elegant next to the newer stuff. I’ve already fallen for the Dino GT4.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I never cared for the 599, but most of the latest Ferrari models look horrible. I remember the designer of the 599 being on The Car Show with Adam Carolla. In his interview, he said, "I don't like design for the sake of style, that's fashion."

That didn't sit well with me. To me, it should be stylish! The statements he was making were making him sound like an engineer designing a car. Designers today are obsessing so much about making everything functional that they forget that the cars they are making are ugly.

Chris

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Friend of mine recently restored his. He's had it for 40 years.
    I think it looks great. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    amerikalei, jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Anyone have any information as to why the Ferrari Rainbow never ended up in The Cannonball Run? I haven't been able to find any information online about it.

Chris

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have a 599, and while its not the most beautiful, there are angles and views of the car that are striking... in my opinion Ferrari had not made a beautiful car since the 355 until the 458 - 488 -F8 cars. the front engine V12's just are too ... too much...

However driving the 599 is an awesome experience... after having classic Ferrari's for a long while I decided as I get older I want more ease of use... the next one will be a F8.....

jm2 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    ;)

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Those one off showcars are very delicate. No one in their right mind would have proposed driving that car cross country, let alone around town.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m not sure with whom I agree or disagree here, as the 599 designer’s statement is a bit ambiguous. I do know that to me there’s a big difference between style and fashion. Fashion is more ephemeral, and tends to be copied by other designers. Style is more permanent and more associated with a brand over time if it’s done right, and is not overly influenced by fashion. Most of the prominent Italian studios have...or had...a distinct style which has always been identifiable. You know a Zagato or a Pininfarina when you see one. Giugiaro, in my opinion, never really established a style, even though he has done many brilliant designs. Perhaps that’s because he has designed for such a wide range of brands and vehicle types.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Jack has it right re: Style vs Fashion.
    Style endures.
    Fashion: Here today, gone tomorrow.

Dino246gt and Rosey like this.