A little comedy for a change (VIN 24221) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A little comedy for a change (VIN 24221)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Jan 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks...fwiw, my guess was only $5K off...you guess which way...

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ah, but what is the CAD/USD exchange rate today? Call it even. ;)

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Oh I bet u did!

LOL...If I had to, I'd only drive at night & not be seen stepping in or out.

Same here...from an aesthetic standpoint, the gap between the tires & fender lips are large enough to contain a herd of cats @ all 4 corners. Fortunately, the 365/400/412s are more refined.

I watch them from time to time & noticed that too. I would've never thought they would've somewhat reached 2+2 sales despair.

Boxer paint?

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Erik,

Sorry to hear about your experiences.

I'm curious if the response had to do with the 'flashiness' of the red paint on the angular styling. While it was on the road, I never recieved the sort of negative comments you described with my car. I'm curious what response I will get from my 'old car' looking blue 330 when (if) I get it back on the road. Hopefully nothing like you described as I think it would take away fromthe joy of ownership.

Best Wishes,

Art S.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think we (as owners) tend to think that everyone on the outside of the fishbowl thinks that it is fun being on the inside, but there is still a lot of pent up frustration out there. As a general rule, there is villanizing of the top 1%, and even though we know better, we get lumped into that crowd owning one of the big membership symbols. And it doesn't help with the record prices the really rare stuff is hitting at auction, the masses paint with a pretty wide brush.

I'm also getting pretty tired of the selling of lifestyles by people that are only resellers in retail trade trying to convince you that you'll be more sophisticated/intelligent/whatever if you purchase their exclusive product (especially the stereotypical wankers that work at the Apple stores), > 70% of our economy is based on consumer spending, that's a hell of a lot of crap.

Maybe I'm just having a Howard Beale moment and I'm just not going to buy it anymore...

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    well played, sir.

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yes, boxer paint...black hides, red carpets...boner.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    On the other hand, I'll wager that almost no one on their death bed ever said: "Glad that I never bought a Ferrari and bought Camrys instead".

You've had the Ferrari experience for many years and can still enjoy it in the slimmed down fleet version with a V-12. Maybe you have done everything that you can expect to do with those cars and continued ownership is just a repetition of all that you have done over so many years and the excitement has worn off. In that case then it just may be time to change gears, so to speak, and do something else that does excite you. Like buy a motorcycle or take up mountaineering or whatever!

If you decide to sell even that one, I hope it is because of your own lack of interest in the car and not because of other people's opinions of it. After all, you're not going to extend this feeling and sell your house if it is nicer than the "average" house in your city, buy cheap scotch, stop dining in good restaurants and jettison whatever other nice things that you have are you?

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have gone from Brioni/Kiton to Jos A Bank shirts, and waiting for them to be on sale for $19, bad sign?

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not necessarily, everyone has their own tastes and areas where they splurge and where they economize. It all depends on what is important to you.

I like nice clothes too but in moderation as having been born and bred as a frugal New Englander. I buy my suits, Hickey Freeman, Burberry or Hart Schaffner & Marx, off the sale rack whenever possible. I make sure that they are well fitted. A weakness for Ferragamo ties but inexpensive watches. Shirts are Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman or Paul Stuart. Good quality but not custom, dress shoes and I keep them well polished and on shoe trees. I have them resoled as needed. Some pairs are 15 years old and still look new.

My casual clothes are likely to be from LL Bean or Land's End. I am boring! :)

Some people are into much more expensive clothes or watches. That's fine but not that important to me.

My daily driver is a 2005 Toyota with only 43K miles on it so far. Most of my neighbors have DDs worth significantly more than my 400i.

I like good wine but believe that half the fun of enjoying wine is finding wines that are good value and not just buying based on price. Life, however, is too short to drink cheap beer or cheap scotch.

Buying quality is usually more economical over buying cheap in the long run but there also is the law of diminishing returns and that kicks in for a lot of the "status" labels, whether you are talking about cars, clothing, wine or vodkas.

You are right that people form all sorts of wrong impressions about the Ferraris that we own. Most have no idea and would not believe that their new Acura or Lexus or Chevy Suburban costs more than what we drive. For that reason I never, ever mention that I own a Ferrari unless I am with my car guy friends. Most of our friends that are not car people don't even know that I have one. I like it that way.

You have to look into your soul and do what feels right for you. Be well!

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yes, bad, very bad.

i'm going to keep busting your balls as long as you keep giving me the opportunity. : )

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I would expect nothing less.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sadly, I'm not familiar with kiton. I guess I'm not very cultured :)

Regards,

Art S.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    To go along with the original poster, this is not ..."A little comedy for a change..." anymore.

Time to hit the Prozac, with cheap alcohol, of course in a used Tata Nano if possible, while watching the pyres on the banks of the Ganges.

Regards, Alberto

PS. But, what about the shill bidders? What will they do, restore the teal 400?

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    trust me, forget the $110K listed prices that you see...if you were in the market for a BBi, you could have a good, F-chatter owned BBi for far, far less.

i gave it a little thought, not much though...i want my classic era 12 to be front engined and carburated...nothing makes the noise of 4 cams and six side draft carbs.
    C4's, GT4 2+2's and 400's make the finest sounds, by far.

a BB ? well that holds a lot more appeal for me, but 2 seats is a problem for me...so i decided to finally try a 'later' model Ferrari that had the seating i need.

i've enjoyed the 456 GT so far, but i didn't want to put too many miles on it until we do the major...but it's a hell of a lot 'a car for the money...doesn't stir me quite like my Fo'Honey though.

i have a feeling whoever bid $11-12K will be getting an e-mail with a second chance offer.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    With that said, it was interesting to only find one 512 in F-ads for sale, is it taboo to ad here??

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

24221 has surfaced on Ebay. I found this original thread on 24221 when it was on Ebay way back in 2012. Check out post 12 (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/a-little-comedy-for-a-change.351075/#post-141104990), as I posted the info from that ebay auction... With that said, here is the current details:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ferrari-400/323557032190?hash=item4b558080fe:g:5DwAAOSwV1Vb8agl:rk:9:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Starting Bid: $25000 USD (no bids)
    Buy Now: $27500 USD

The "fine" condition comment by the seller made me smile...

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  19. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The same car was mentioned recently in the forum. The author of your article is not totally correct regarding the driving wheel, as this could have been a genuine Ferrari upgrade: Jody Scheckter's car that was for sale in France had this smaller wheel, this was a special order. There was some trim like on the 412 though (totally different shape of course), seems to be missing on this car.

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

To me the current steering wheel looks to be from a 308 QV, etc... which is a later car to this 1978 400. Consequently I do not think it was an upgrade/option in 1977/1978. However, I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Sam

21. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That’s just a Momo Cavallino wheel. Same as what’s in my 79 Alfetta GTV. It wasn’t a factory option from what I understand, especially on the 400i. But, six bolts and you can put on any wheel you want so.