A Georgian on the Mother Road | FerrariChat

A Georgian on the Mother Road

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Sep 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As a few of you know, I recently completed a trip I had wanted to do for years but didn't have the time until I retired. Since I turned 66 this year, it was time to drive Route 66 in its entirety, from Chicago to Santa Monica.

Of course, first I had to drive to Chicago, then I had to drive home from SoCal. So the entire trip took 15 days, covered 16 states and something over 5500 miles. No, not in the Ferrari, which would have been wildly impractical, but in my 2012 Honda Civic coupe, whose roomy trunk and efficient air conditioning proved useful.

The dash thermometer that tells the outside temp ranged from 52 to 104 and spent quite a bit of time in the high 90s, more in the southeast than the southwest! And I averaged about 36 mpg for the trip, which even included some cruising on the Interstate at 85 mph, which was not highly illegal since the speed limit on that roadway was 80!

I have just finished describing the trip, with photos, on a long thread on the Travel forum, which some of you may not visit too often. Feel free to read my report and comment on it, especially if you have been on Route 66 yourself. Personally, I think that it is a road trip that every American should take at least once in their lifetime, especially with the kids if they are old enough to understand the significance of the Mother Road.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-route-66-adventure.607706/