A full how to restoration of the screen washer bottle | FerrariChat

A full how to restoration of the screen washer bottle

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Oct 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi it's been my intention to put this thread together for a while so here it is.
    It's my belief that a car with 17.000 miles from new could not have logically burnt out it's washer pump. However an original part sitting in a car since 1985 might well have gunged-up exposed to who know what type of chems over the years.

You’ll need a basic assortment of tools most blokes have at home to do this job.
    We’re going to restore the pump and then the water level sensor in the top of the tank.

Pump motor first: Forget about removing the entire pump housing (white part + motor). It's got a big, strong clip on the inside fitted with special tools. There's no need to remove it and you'll probably never get it to seal again if you do.

With the tank out of the car a good place to start is to give the thing a good clean. I mixed a strong solution of white vinegar and a salt. Let it sit for a few days. I also used some old rags and sponges to get as much crud out as possible.

Once you've cleaned the tank as best you can, the re-ferb can begin.

Separating pump & tank: You'll see 3 brass press studs. If you're not sure scrape them. They'll be gold in colour. Get a Dremel or drill with a file/grinding bit. Knock the top off the 3 studs. Grind down the 3 studs. Low heat! Go easy, work slowly. Gently wiggle the pump motor from the housing.

With the pump free from the pump housing the next step is to locate the locate the small press lugs bent into the pump body. They hold the top metal part of the pump containing the magnets together with the rest of the pump. Locate and carefully bend back the tabs. This will free the top from the pump motor exposing the rotor.

moysiuan, Freerange72 and paulchua like this.