A/C Leak Questions | FerrariChat

A/C Leak Questions

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    My '82 400i's A/C unit has been converted to R-134a several years ago. It has a slow leak that requires bi-annual recharge. I'm kinda sick of that plan and would like to go about fixing the leak. It does have the rear A/C option.

I will take any suggestions as to whether I should use dye, or a leak detector, or ???.

Also, what should the correct pressures be at the compressor?

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My car was also converted to R134a, it was charged with dye during the conversion. After three years, the pressure was still fairly good when the engine was removed, but I could spot leaks almost everywhere (thanks to the dye). My guess is that this system is not perfectly suited to r134a and that we have to make it do with small leaks. Maybe a

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    leak sealer could do the trick, as the condenser is a serpentine one that is less likely to be clogged than a dual flow condenser. Anyhow sealer are risky (and my AC guy does not like them). Some sealers are only rejuvenating rubber seals, these are less likely to make a mess in the system.

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    R134 is a smaller molecule than R12, and the hoses aren't built to contain it. Add in that your hoses are likely old, and you have compound problems with running R12. It's a serious PIA, but replacing your hoses (and seals) will make a huge difference, though the system is sized for the efficiency of R12.

thorn likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Was the whole system truly converted, or just drained of R12 and refilled with R134?

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Repaired with stock parts (i.e Eurospares used condenser) and refiled with R134 together with the proper lubricant.

The result was quite good actually (for a European car of that era). So performance wise the stock setup is appropriate, but as my condenser was damaged when the motor was taken out, I just decided to upgrade with modern components that are easier to source. There is plethora of 14x23 aluminium condenser (used in small trucks), these are using modern fittings (with o-rings), which will hopefully cure once for all my small leaks.

The real "upgrade" I am considering is for the ASTI/Valeo yellow cooling fan (in the engine bay), and somehow enhance the fan in the dashboard. There is no duct between the squirrel cage and the vents, so the cold air is lost inside the dashobard and does not actually pass through the vents. Replacing the fan in the dashboard is easy as there is quite some room, but I suspect the knob switch will not sustain the additional amp-draw, so will only enhance ducting.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That's one reason it's leaking. You need new hoses, o-rings that are R134 compatible.