991.1, 991.2 or wait? | FerrariChat

991.1, 991.2 or wait?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ebobh15, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm looking at a 2015 911, last gen NA, cabriolet with about 30K miles. I have a Boxster I'd trade in that is turbocharged, so I'm familiar in a general sense of the difference in the power curve, the exhaust notes, etc. I also have a Macan S, so I'm reasonably familiar with the ownership experience.

I'm not in a rush to buy, but Porsche has a 2.49 finance offer, and the timing of the 2015's seems good. Should I rethink this and look at a 991.2 to take advantages of the upgrades? I wanted to benefit from the depreciation curve, so I'd probably wait another 6 months or so to shop a 991.2 if that's the route I would choose.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Right now most all dealers do not have any 992s. So unless you are willing to pay full MSRP and perhaps a dealer markup a 992 is not so much of an option currently. So if you want a 992 I would look at a special order and try for no markup with a later delivery date in 2021. A good friend has a 992 C4S which he likes a lot. He special ordered it last year and had to wait a real long time - sat in LA port for a couple of months as CA officials were hassling all Porsche products. He likes the car but he has reservations relative to all the computer controls. Previously he had owned several other Porsches the last two were 997.1 TTs so all the computer systems were originally a bit of a put off. He didn’t consider a 991.2 as he wanted a new car, both the 997 he acquired Pre owned.
    I recently looked at a 991.2 TTS (which would up grade me from a 997.2 TTS). I liked it a lot it wasn’t quite as much computer oriented as my friends 992 which I also find to be a bit of a put off. Unfortunately I didn’t pull the trigger soon enough and it got away from me. For me my current decision is either ordering a 992 TTS or a Ferrari Roma, very different cars. I haven’t kicked the tires of either and likely will wait to view/drive both before making the decision.
    If you want to have the car any time soon the 991.2 is really your only option, just not much selection of 992 even if you’re willing to pay a mark up. So really depends on your time frame which way to go.

3. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    OP isn't considering a 992, only 991s. Also can get a discount on 992s and readily available. CA officials were definitely not hassling all Porsche products. Pretty sure any 911 isn't computer oriented.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Perhaps I incorrectly assumed that "wait" meant for a 992, if so sorry. I haven't actually priced 992s in about six months as I was waiting for the 992 TTS to come out. But I was told recently by two local dealerships that most US dealers had no 992 at present and those that did have cars had very few. My experience has been that cars which are in short supply are not usually discounted, maybe that is not the case presently and discounts are readily available even though cars are not?

My personal experience with the 992 is zero. It is limited to the 20 minute conservation I had with my friend when I was thinking of ordering a 992 TTS a couple months ago. He has only owned about a half dozen Porsches and his 992 4S for only six months so your ownership experience could well be different than his limited experience. His comments were that the 992s were far more computer oriented in their administration programs than any other Porsche he had ever owned and that his car had been stuck in the LA Port for 60 days. When he ask the dealership why the long holding period, the dealer said they were jerking all the Porsches delivery’s around so perhaps your knowledge of LA Port activities is superior to theirs or the dealership had no knowledge why he had waited 60 days to get the car out of the Port?

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have a 2014 991.1 that I drive everyday. I drove both the 991.1. and 991.2 at the Porsche Barbers school. Hard to tell a difference as the schools were a year apart. I did not care for the 991.2 exhaust note. The mild turbocharging seemed to muffle the noise and I guess I like noise. But I understand the 991.2 is a little faster. I have just begun to tackle maintenance on the 991.1 as my CPO has expired. Everything is very tight. Perhaps even more compact than Ferrari. I would think the 991.2 would be a little more maintenance challenging if you do your own due to the turbos and associated plumbing. Either way both are good cars for the money and practical to drive every day.

6. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The OP meant waiting for a 991.2 to further depreciate into his budget. You can easily get a discount on an ordered car. Perhaps you are thinking of the technology the 992 has by saying computer oriented? Dealers like to give convenient excuses for things outside of their control. The LA Port isn't the only port that receives 992s and I wouldn't be surprised if they came in from another port.

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I daily drove both the 991.1 and 991.2.
    I agree that the 991.1 has a better exhaust note, and is a bit more raw sportscar feeling. The 991.2 is more refined, has better electronics, handles better, and is faster, but I actually preferred driving the 991.1.
    One of the things I hated about the 991.1 was the interior rattles that kept popping up. I didn't have a similar problem with the 991.2

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Id go with the 991.1 purely based on the sound. Both are fast enough to have fun and to get into trouble. At leat with the NA car you can enjoy a beautiful sound without having to go super fast.

9. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ...or a 991.2 with an a/m exhaust. Just picked this up, and with the Sharkwerks exhaust, it sounds exponentially better than my previous 991.1.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login