'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project

Discussion in '348/355' started by thoroughbred_1002, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bagged_F355

bagged_F355 Rookie

Apr 2, 2019
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Raul Gomez
    awesome job!

thoroughbred_1002 likes this.
  2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

This project has been an incredible and satisfying journey, and this post has been a long time coming.....let me attempt to articulate my best experience in car restoration:
    I had high expectations (and demands, lol), but didn't realize that Austin's expectations would be higher. The car is absolutely incredible and all due to the diligence and craftsmanship of Austin and his partner, Kerry. Their shop, AK Collision in Scottsville, KY, is an amazing throwback in time when artists, within the restoration world, were more consumed with the product put out, than whether it was time for a project to be done. Just incredible.

Austin and I were in constant dialogue and he welcomed my input as much as I enjoyed the education he provided along the way. I have owned more cars than I can recall, and I have never been 100% satisfied with a completed project, until now. Most shops just aren't willing to follow thru; so often, the initial energy turns into a simmer, and the results, at best "nice." or really nice. LOL. Not in this case.

Austin was always interested in doing his very best. His work ethic is unparalleled and the end result speaks for itself. While corners and time could have easily been trimmed, and no one would ever know the better, Austin would not have it. Not in his nature, not in his blood. His interest in replicated the factory welds in both technique and application was incredible. So much of this attention to detail is permanently hidden under body panels, but he considered much of the procedure a challenge. The challenge of replicating what was done at the factory seemed to give him more satisfaction than throwing a winning touchdown at a bowl game. That is craftsmanship, that is artistry, that is above and beyond what is usually done, and that is why the results are astonishing.

Its easy to go on and on, but what's left is to express my deep gratitude and appreciation for a beautiful car and a new friend. We are currently discussing logistics involving final paint and body work on a project I have been working on for 8 years; this one will be child's play, but looking forward to his artistry to find its way to another classic.

ShineKen, 355OXO, Buckets and 9 others like this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Can we get your guestimate on what you think some of these components weigh? Rear quarter and doors in particular.

4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Happy to help, but not sure how to answer? The entire rear clip was quite light.

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What do you guestimate the rear quarter panel weigh?

Eurospares says packaged in it’s protective box , the package weighs 26kgs, which is quite heavy. I don’t think they’re willing to remove it from it’s packaging to weigh it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    That's insane.......best guess from memory is less than 20 pounds.

ShineKen likes this.
  7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Re
    Just remember this is a convertible, so no buttress where all the heft normally is, also you could not just swap this part out for CF on a non soft top 355.

Amazing looking car now by the way

Carmellini likes this.