'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project | Page 3 | FerrariChat

'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project

Discussion in '348/355' started by thoroughbred_1002, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
  2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    WOW! speechless....holy guacamole bat man! That car looks AMAZING! where to start?

Pininfarina makes paint guns? say what? Did you get any rest this weekend? after you get some sleep (LOL) you're going to have to give us a little more detail on procedure. Maybe you can start with the EZ edger

The Outcast likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  5. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Absolutely beautiful!!!

6. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    I probably did this in the wrong sequential order in hindsight. Nonetheless, very pleased with the results. I have had to break up the effort to restore the black surfaces into several sessions to achieve the most original possible look. It was more of an undertaking than I imagined it would be, but I am feeling happy to have it behind me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

355OXO, Buckets and Qavion like this.
  7. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    355OXO and Qavion like this.
  8. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    355OXO likes this.
  9. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
  10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    what black paint did you use

355OXO likes this.
  11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    A challenge rear grill would look great on that color car.

12. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    It's actually a combination of different products that complete the black portions. R-M RMP27 in places, VHT Wrinkle Plus, and SEM Euro Trim Black were all three used. In the end, I was unable to acquire anything that more closely resembled the original chemistry. The good news is the trio of products that I did use really aided me to make these areas look undisturbed, and I have full confidence in the durability of the products that were used in this application.

I agree, but I almost always favor the Challenge grilles. It's a shame that the Challenge grille that was installed on this car was totally mangled in the accident.

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Interesting so what was the steps when you sprayed these down.

like Rmp27 then vht then sem?

I'll have to try it and see

I was looking at the sem rat rod black and also going to try the Eastwood rat rod black on spray out cards and see how they look.

But I know one section I have up front on the fender looks very grainy, but up by say the wheel wells and up by the wipers it's not as grainy.

Could you post some close ups of how it turned out.

Here's what my front fender looks.like.on my 98 GTS.

I'm going to have to repaint my 95 berlinetta project and want to get it close.

thanks

jp

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    phrogs,

I had to step up my sprayout cards to large cardboard sections. Ha! :p

I probably didn't do well to describe what I did in a procedural sense. In hindsight, I believe I definitely overanalyzed these duties. Really, the RMP27 was probably a wasted expense. I don't even stock 27 at the shop. Just 26.

Anyway, it wasn't that I used all 3 products in succession within the same work areas. I used each product in different locations actually. I forgot to add that I actually used SEM EZ Coat as well, but it was only used on some of the square tube sectioning and interior of the quarter panel.

Just like you say, there are obvious differences in texture from one place to another. It is no different at the rear of the car. To further complicate things, the texture was different from different from car to car too. :confused:

So, I have places where I thought it made most sense to finish with Euro Trim Black such as where the black will show from the exterior of the car like it does near the tail light panel. The VHT was used at the lip of the quarter edges in the engine compartment where it is most grainy. I did actually topcoat the VHT with Euro Trim Black for sake of uniformity to the rear framework.

The RMP27 was used for the top tie-down and that was as much an experiment as anything. I had to get invasive to strip all of the nasty paint off of it where my weld penetration had compromised the original finish. Since I had to go to bare metal, I felt like I needed to restore corrosion protection. I coated it once with RMP26. Then, I sanded that down and decided I might as well see how RMP27 performed as a topcoat. I was actually pleased with it, but I felt that the sheen wasn't right for rest of the effort.

I doubt I'll be able to capture all of this detail with my camera, but I am happy to try closer shots if it can be any benefit to you.

phrogs likes this.
  15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm tracking.

I'll just have to test it out and see what looks best. Sucks but it seems parts were sprayed and flowed nice and flat and other areas the paint was spitting dirt.

16. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Couldn't have said it any better. :D

You should have seen the original masking job on this car too. Ouch!

17. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Nice job

thoroughbred_1002 likes this.
  18. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    So happy to say that I was able to participate in the efforts to ensure that this Grigio Titanio F355 hadn't clocked its last mile. Too many of these wonderful cars have been sacrificed as it is. Of course it's a necessary evil to let them go to become donors for better examples sometimes. This particular car had fewer than 1k miles since its last major and all of the F355 "While You're in There" was all up to snuff. It has finally made arrival to its new owner's garage and I gather that he is having a blast with it already.

The new owner was engaged throughout the entire process and is not someone to shy away from getting their hands dirty or investing sweat equity. He was instrumental in making this repair as successful and as cost-efficient as it could possibly be. I have no idea just how many hours he has invested from his end, but I know all of that time was well worth his investment.

Only missing her center caps (safely tucked away inside the car) and some wheel liners in these last two pictures. Lacking a proper detail job, too, to be perfectly honest. :)

Attaching our most "ghoulish" photo from the repair as a well. Just as a reminder to show where are "starting point" was.

Merry Motoring, Miss Grigio! It was a pleasure to become a part of your story.

Attached Files:

Mrmerlin, 355OXO, krazykarguy and 3 others like this.
  19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Great work, Austin!!

sjd

Mrmerlin likes this.
  20. emac

emac Formula Junior