'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'97 F355 Spider - Collision Project

Discussion in '348/355' started by thoroughbred_1002, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    I was aware of your association to these cars, but I never even considered if you posted here. Thanks for dropping a line!

I can't believe that it could even be possible that this car might not have been fixed. It's cool to be a part of the resuscitation. I underestimated how much work it would be, but I wouldn't blink to do it again. I'd rather cuss and fuss with this F355 than a Hyundai!

2. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
  3. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Awesome! I hadn't seen the headers exposed like that yet. How did you restore the insulation before replacing the clam shells?

I'm in the same camp with you after dabbling with this car and learning the model just from continued research. I'd like to own one too. So much different from that other car we share commonality to, but so many parallels. It's clear this is also a car that will thrive in the hands of a competent enthusiast that enjoys the continued efforts to keep it up. There's a lot about their reputation that is unfair, but that's a blessing and a curse as it concerns values.

I say they're undervalued. That said, I really don't care what they're worth. More or less just a measuring stick for enthusiast sentiment for me.

4. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    I left the clam-shells off, gambled with my previous experience with the coating from Swain Tech that would be enough. If I ever get a 355 again I'll do the same thing unless I buy a car with an improved set of aftermarket headers. I have yet to find an exhaust coating that comes close to Swain Techs White Lighting.

That off white look isn't for everyone, that coating can be sanded down and painted with high temp paint. I preferred the white, as did my father.

That's why I put the heat shield on the motor-mounts and around the starter, just to be safe. Main priority was ensuring an even heat distribution among the pipes, which as you can see with the material inside the clam-shell, once that starts to break down you'll end up with exposed parts without insulation. Not ideal in my opinion.

5. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I had the chance to swing by and take a look: WOW! Pictures never capture what needs to be shown. The attention to detail and care of the repair is better than what I have seen from the factory (of that era) I know, that's sounds bold and perhaps arrogant, but I stand by that statement. Gaps are spot on, and car is back to running under its own glorious power. Nouvalari sport muffler and Fabspeed CAT delete pipes combine for an incredible sound!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, Qavion, krazykarguy and 2 others like this.
  6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Awesome! Car looks great!

sjd

7. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Those are high praises and I appreciate your confidence!

I would rate Ferrari's construction techniques of the 355 as being "par" for the era.

The single sided ERW welds through four layers of 20 gauge steel along the quarter mate flanges was quite unimpressive to me. At that time, panel bond adhesives were still new technology and may have been considered unproven by OEMs. Now everyone uses them!

Maybe one out of three spot welds was actually sufficiently welded. No doubt that the use of panel bond adhesive at this site was a structural improvement.

Another area where we made an improvement, in my opinion, is around the drain tube found within the triangular structure that accommodates the top. Ferrari built up the voids around the tube via MIG brazing, but the welds were too large and fragile! The tube is virtually right on top of the jack point, and the amount of flex in the chassis can be noted just by evaluating the door gap change as the car is raised.

The silicon bronze welds had broken and was likely the site of a water leak. Rather than to duplicate what Ferrari had done, I elected to fill the void and form the barrier with control flow seam sealer. I have no doubt that the seam sealer will perform far better in this application.

Aside from that, the quarter panels can have small imperfections like half-closed pinholes that our replacement left quarter panel will not have. The right quarter panel was delivered by Ferrari with a visible pinhole within the sharp line that continues into the bonnet. :confused:

I might be getting too much credit for the way the hood and door gaps look. In fact, the left side is WAY better than the right side door gap. Much more uniform and consistent along the entire opening.

All I did was take care to not create damages during the deconstruction that would affect the quarter to door alignment in any way. It's luck of the draw that the earlier quarter actually fits BETTER than either original quarter panel. It causes me to speculate about the conditions of the tooling by MY '97. The MY '95 quarter panel is flawless!

I won't hesitate to say that I believe this car will be restored to as good as it had been in its pre-accident form. I will pause at saying it is better, as making asymmetric improvements don't necessarily make the total package any better.

It's just about refinish time, folks! We're using Glasurit products all the way through for refinishing.

308 GTB, Qavion and steved033 like this.
  8. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    In no way unlike the world that surrounds, we have been impacted in our capacity to consistently perform our services. That said, progress on our F355 has slowed to a crawl. But, we're still moving..

Looking on the bright side of things, there is a massive advantage presented by the extra wait time on our undercoats to fully cure. Despite the RMP26 urethane surface primer being catalyzed (2K), all such products still "move" a while after the implied cure time outlined in the TDS sheets.

The quarter panel will be block sanded and subsequently reprimed. In the meantime, the front and rear bumper covers, and left rocker molding will get necessary therapies.

Since the last update, the left door has been properly gutted and the front bumper was removed. Corrective filler work ensued at the scene of our used left quarter and we knocked out some easy surface prep for the panels that will need refinishing. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, Julia, Ferrarium and 2 others like this.
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hey man where ya at with this

10. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    #35 thoroughbred_1002, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Hey! Thanks for asking..

Progress continues to move more slowly, but moving nonetheless. We're staggering our schedules at the shop, so I am on one week and then off the next. I'm the only one working on the 355.

I'm in here this week, but not actively working on the 355 due to higher volume of local insurance jobs. I will probably have a clear slate by Friday and I am hoping that will allow my enough time to get the front bumper ready for paint. At this point, the bonnet and front bumper are the only parts that aren't ready for refinishing.

The rear cover was a job, but it is in as good as new condition now. I was able to really concentrate on repairing/restoring the detached panels. Oh... and the left quarter panel is now 100% ready. I reprimed it and the lock pillar together. Beautiful results back there!

I can't wait to get paint on it and get it reassembled. This car is going to be as awesome as it ever was. The owner has a few tasteful mods in mind for it after he takes delivery, and I don't doubt that this car will be better than it ever was before. :D

Attached Files:

11. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
  12. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Very cool! Too often, a car of this caliber turns into a parts donor when so many of them are still too decent for that fate after a repairable incident. Of course "repairability" is subjective, but a lot of repairable prospects never return to the roadways.

I had a goal this week to start "edging" this machine, but I might have to put at least the door jamb on hold..

The outer quarter skin has been primed and blocked twice now and NOTHING has moved. Therefore we can depend on the stability of the under coats to sustain a proper foundation for top coating. Recall that the lock pillar has only been primed once though, as I thought this would be sufficient. In the close picture attached, you can see that there is shrinkage at the sites where the grinder work was most intensive. So, this will need to be corrected and the lock pillar will need a second primer application and sufficient cure time.

I don't mind to "tell on myself" when I think there can be any benefit to learning for myself and/or others. This is a top shelf under coat too! It's very important to be diligent and TAKE YOUR TIME.

There are plenty of other little assignments to do in the meantime while we wait. Still, very soon, the Glasurit top coats will be falling onto this 355.. :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and Buckets like this.
  13. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Looking good! Nice to see a new pictures. Got any more?

How about a tutorial on edging? I have never heard of that?

14. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Edging is just auto refinishing speak for cutting in. The bonnet to engine compartment jamb is definitely the trickiest and I have thought and thought on how to best duplicate what is originally going on there.

The entire jamb was originally refinished in body color. Then, they masked everything off and applied the krinkle paint.

Now that I know I have to apply more primer at the lock pillar section, I am thinking about pulling the door and cutting in the jamb at the same time as I refinish the quarter panels. The biggest reason this appeals to me on occasion where it is practical is because it allows me to achieve a 100% "tape less" job. Soft tape edges are alright, but no tape edge at all will always win out!

Oh... I'm charging my camera now. :p;)

15. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    We're going with what we know in the way of top coat options for this 355. Glasurit 55-line base coat and their 923-255 clear. It's finally time to lay some paint!

We have primarily been playing with two color options. One option is for code 704/C - Grigio Titanium Silver corresponded to a discontinued color chip tool. Presumably, that chip and those automatically generated colors likely included an obsolete toner. No surprise.

We decided on giving the camera a crack despite the fact that I almost never use a camera generated color for any utility, and I have never taken such a formula straight to the paint gun without making my own adjustments via tinting.

As they say, there's a first time for everything. The camera absolutely nailed this color on face, flop, and flake! I am attaching a pic of the exact formula. I expect to use the camera formula (with no adjustments) and to have this 355 painted this week. That effort may very well extend into Saturday or even Saturday night.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Julia, krazykarguy, JoeTSI and 4 others like this.
  16. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    Once the paint is laid on, is there a period of time before the clear coat is applied?
    Is it a good idea to give the paint some time to settle in?

17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I can't wait to see the results!!!

sjd

18. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I love this thread. Great job at keeping another great car on the road. You've got mad skills.

19. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    You and Buckets are my heroes these days. Can-do and more can-do. I gotta learn to be more like you guys.

20. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Thank you all for your kind words and I'm glad you all are enjoying the thread. I'm having all of the real fun, but at least you guys can enjoy a taste too!

I am moving right along. Planning on working late into the night and another day of long hours tomorrow. Not sure how far I'll get because I just keep finding things I just can't let slide. Most of those things aren't even accident and/or repair related. More on that later..

Oh.. and who doesn't love a fresh 5L tin of Glasurit clear coat alongside a fresh mix of 704/C in 55-line??

The bonnet has been removed and the final applications of seam sealer are underway now.

The next clusters of pictures won't be in this part of the shop. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mrmerlin and Buckets like this.
  21. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have been following your rebuild and have been fascinated with your talent.

You could please explain on your picture where shrinkage due to grinder work took place.

Thank you.

22. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    55-line is as easy it gets, in my opinion. I usually allow 20-30 minutes after the final application of base coat has "flashed" off before I'll put the clear to it. When base coat is fully flashed, it will have a nice even satin finish to it.

I like to wait at least two weeks before denibbing and polishing the clear coat with a car of this caliber. There's nothing worse than sending a car home too soon, only to have it start to haze up later on where wet sanding had occurred.

A better way to think of it is shrinkage occurred due to incomplete grinder work. The reason it was incomplete is because i needed to apply a small amount of body filler. My grinding was just a tad excessive at a couple points and I really have no excuse.

The mistake is 100% on me because I should have went to the disc to ensure that I didn't grind too much. Instead, I stayed with the rock a moment too long. That's all it takes to have these types of errors.

Because I am using excellent primer products, the problem was hidden initially. But, it's asking too much of any primer product to sustain that type of correction.

23. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    A little paint booth maintenance is underway..

We use two course filters in our Garmat downdraft. One large course filter that extends the length of the pit. One course filter section before the pre-filter bags.

Then, there's the real workhorses up there in the ceiling. The Garmat ceiling filters.

I am only replacing the course filters as the bag filters and ceiling filters were just recently replaced and well within the front of their respective ranges in terms of suggested replacement intervals.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Buckets likes this.
  24. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    Wish I had these paint skills!

25. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004