959 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The RM listing says the original 959 Komfort suspension was replaced with the suspension from the 959S, which is a conventional coil-over system. In case anyone is wondering what the standard 959 Komfort suspension looks like, below is a photo of the rear wheel well of a stock 959 Komfort. Two shocks, bell cranks, relays, hoses, an "accumulator" (the canister at the top right of the photo; nitrogen filled, if I remember correctly, and $10,000 to replace for the four corners--in 2006!): can it get more complicated?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B and Tenney like this.
  2. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Regarding service and maintenance costs for a 959, Copley Motorcars just listed a 959 Komfort for sale (I have no association with the car) with 20,000 miles on the odo. The listing mentions invoices of $165,000 for recent service. Now, perhaps this car had a bunch of deferred maintenance that ran up the latest costs, but this is another data point indicating that, at some point, the 959 will suck up a lot of money to keep it running.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

A complicated system - I know Canepa replaces this on all their cars with the 959S suspension as well (although, upgraded with modern shocks and springs).

I think the 959S suspension conversion is a change that should be welcome amongst any buyers so long as original equipment is included, unless they plan to take their 959 down some Paris Dakar-style trails...

I wonder whether Porsche's own Classic department sanctions & carries out such conversions - they should, in my opinion.

4. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    https://copleymotorcars.com/?showroom=1987-porsche-959-komfort-152

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can anyone post what the “problem areas” of the 959 are from a service perspective that run up the high service bills or is everything delicate and expensive to repair?

Boomhauer and Sterling Sackey like this.
  6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Automotive images do not come much more iconic than this - the winning Porsche 959 at the Pharoah Rally in 1985, an event covering a 1,900 mile course through the Egyptian desert.

Boomhauer and gt4me like this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Boomhauer likes this.
  10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    I don't have personal experience, as I never owned a 959. But when I was considering doing so, a Porsche mechanic explained to me one of the biggest hurdles to service a 959. The advanced electronics employed in the 959 was based on the most powerful computer chip at the time, an Intel Pentium; so just to run diagnostics you needed a laptop that can run DOS software and a technician able to understand its output.

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    He was full of it, as the Pentium wasn't released until 1993. ;)

schao likes this.
  12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What are the shops in the US that service the 959 other than Callas and Canepa? I believe there was one in MA? Any others?

Sterling Sackey likes this.
  13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The one in MA is probably Jerry Pellegrino’s European Performance Engineering. I wouldn't see why Porsche in Atlanta or Los Angeles wouldn't service, or any Porsche dealer for that matter.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, that’s the one, thanks!

Andial likes this.
  15. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's what I would do if I owned one.

Andial likes this.
  16. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    To me TODAY if I was going to spend a million on any car the world over it would be the 959.

Less than 300 made compared to nearly 1200 F40.

The 959s looks are striking and arresting.

This is one supercar that is so extraordinarily exotic and rare it’s pretty much off the scale.

Esthetically the 959 looks like no other production supercar yet instantly recognizable as a porsche. This speaks to the astounding and immensely complicated endeavor the 959 was and still is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dream cars and Boomhauer like this.
  17. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    #118 tonypeoni, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    My favorite 959 magazine covers. As a kid I remember these magazine covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Late 80's throwback photo. That's me with my friend's wife in Mansour Ojjeh's under-house garage at his Paris home. If I remember correctly he had the first and last ones made, along with a third one as his driver. That's Mansour in the background. We had dinner that evening with his family and Eddie Cheever. I got to hear lots of interesting stories, including when Mansour drove an F1 car during a test session and Cheever blew by him on the straight while flipping the bird.
    Mansour had us meet with Ron Dennis in Monaco the following weekend to see the F1 race courtesy of McLaren. His wife's best friend wound up being my date for the weekend and we flew in to Monaco from Nice by helicopter. A month later she invited me to Mansour's house in Spain. I foolishly got engaged to my second wife instead...

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing

20. tomblue3

tomblue3 Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    I recently saw this 959 prototype (?), while I was looking for a 911 in a garage....
    The owner told me that it has no air, no servo, no everything. With great history and patina. Must be the lightest 959 out there!

What do you guys think?

joe sackey and Boomhauer like this.
  21. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I think its pretty nice! For sale? :)

22. tomblue3

tomblue3 Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    What I heard between the lines, she is for sale.
    Very tempting.... (cannot afford it anyways)
    fun fact: she is road registered!

23. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    000 Magazine subscribers should be sure to check out the latest issue (017). Lots of 959 Paris-Dakar content. As an author, I'm biased but happy with the final result. The Dakar project and people involved are even more impressive after doing the research.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.