355 - '95 B and '97 Spider, Header question | FerrariChat

355 '95 B and '97 Spider, Header question

Discussion in '348/355' started by skierlawyer, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hello! I've had my '97 gated Spider for about 10 years now and its pretty much my favorite car to drive in my collection. So, I recently added a '95 Berlinetta as that seems to be the enthusiasts choice.

The '97 has Stock Headers, Cat delete pipes, Stock muffler

The '95 has Fabspeed Headers, Cat delete pipes, Stock muffler

My friend and I tested the acceleration of cars against each other and we found that from say 5,000rpm to redline the cars are nearly identical. But here's the interesting thing, from say 2,000rpm the '95 pulled away a lot. It makes quite a bit more torque in the lower rpm range.

Here's the first question, is that difference because of it being a 2.7 vs a 5.2 car OR do you think its the headers?

Second question / observation: The '97 sounds a lot better. It howls. The '95 sounds good but it doesn't have that howl to it. I'm assuming its the headers. If I were to replace the headers in the '95 to try and get that better sound, will I loose the extra torque?

Finally, I am thinking I want a louder exhaust on the '95 but nothing too crazy. I did have a Nouvalari Super Sport on my '97 and it was way too loud. I'm thinking about trying Nouvalari Headers and a Nouvalari Sport muffler on the '95. I've read the threads and it seems the sound problem with the Fabspeed headers is the 4-1 collection design and people prefer Tubi headers for the 4-2-1 design. Nouvalari headers look like they are also 4-2-1.

If you were wanting the best sounding but not too loud exhaust setup possible what would you do?

Thanks

sgtpeper likes this.
  2. skierlawyer

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Pis7a2020 and Nicolas21 like this.
  3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It ‘s hard to say whether your 95 pulls harder than the the 97 because it is a 2.7 vs 5.2. There could be a lot of factors for that. The Fabspeed headers which are the 4-1 design showed a loss of torque in the the mid range vs the OEM 4-2-1 design, but the Fabspeed headers made more top end power. I think about 20 hp on the top end There was a graph on Fabspeed’s website a while ago if I remember correctly that showed this. Quite a few owners have said that they noticed a change in sound of the 4-1 design on the top end. My car has the 4-2-1 design headers so I have nothing to compare it to outside of listening to videos on YouTube or on here.

A lot of owners on here like the Capristo and Tubi exhausts. One owner recommended Capristo for the 5.2 cars and Tubi Evolution. Another muffler that sounded nice is a Larini which Ken purchased and has shielding on it. Their headers look nice as well. They have shielding on them also.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    5.2 always has more howl than a 2.7 in my experience. The fabspeed headers would further lose some whine from the 2.7 car.

Too many variables with the cars running health at this age to say what’s causing one to be quicker. In my experience with two sorted cars identical in every way the difference in 2.7 and 5.2 both with Tubi headers, high flow cats Capristo exhaust they are neck and neck the 2.7 only pulls in the last 1500 rpm and starts to pull away from the 5.2.

Also I have tested a 2.7 stock muffler and a 5.2 stock muffler on my 2.7 the 5.2 internally is different and sounds a lot better on a 2.7 car- just cap the thermocouple bung at the bypass.

5. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Wait, so you prefer driving the F355 to the F40? I'm not doubting your judgment, just curious.....

6. skierlawyer

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    In many ways yes. I can jump in a 355, go anywhere anytime guilt free. The F40 is an event every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    You have an early diablo as well correct? What are your general thoughts on 355 vs diablo vs cgt vs f40? I have a 348 and early diablo, considering a more "hyper" analog now.

Not to hijack your thread but your thoughts would be appreciated.

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    OP -- is there any way to persuade you to go through the trouble of posting a couple of vid clips of your 5.2 355 idling/driving/accelerating? I'm dying to know what a 355 sounds like with stock headers/muffler but cat bypass pipes. It's the direction I think I want to go, but I haven't heard it yet...

9. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Just curious, what is the build date of your 95? I've got no comparison, but the PO of my car (which is an early 95) claimed that this one was much quicker than other 355s that he had driven. The early 95s have different cylinder heads, which some claim to be better performing. An easy indicator of the early heads is that the spark plug covers have only 4 screws, whereas the later 2.7s and 5.2 have 10 screws per side.

10. skierlawyer

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #10 skierlawyer, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    I think it sounds great that way. Louder than stock but not too loud, retains the sound quality.

https://youtube.com/shorts/giObdHjonk8

https://youtube.com/shorts/Pdc2Co0reDI

11. skierlawyer

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I do. They are all very different. The 355 is the easiest to drive. Good visibility, relatively decent ground clearance, small, nimble, light controls. The Diablo, CGT, F40 have such little ground clearance they are challenging and you have to know where you are going. I could write pages about the ownership experience and driving dynamics but maybe another time...