Dino Saga 060226 _ Rebuild reprise, car pics in mountains | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060226 _ Rebuild reprise, car pics in mountains

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060226 _ Rebuild reprise, car pics in mountains

Off to Mardi Gras. Thin thread. Early. Recap of rebuild.

Will change oil, filter next Friday. Car is running so nice! Little over 500 miles and still no leaks and no smoke. Strong! Plugs look fantastic. A little bit of brown on insulator. Dry! Shifting is right on now. It got down into the high 30s the other night and it was hard to shift until warmed up. Jack put Blue gear oil in gear box. I think I will switch back to Castrol at oil change. Used to be OK when cold. Will let you know if any diference or just my bad memory.

Have been thinking about what we found: rings not seated, valves bent, chains fouled up, valve marks on pistons, bad workmanship. Pistons were new and checked out great compared to old pistons. Went back and looked at old pistons and found some marks on outside of valve relief. Looks like valves were close to touching on outside all along. Possible the old mechanic never checked clearances, tried multiple times to time cams and missed frequently, turned engine over even though he felt hard spots. When finally got timing on, damage had been done. Wear marks on bore showed signs of skirt rubbing. Perhaps piston was being tilted at TDC by valves and rings were never were able to square up and wear in. All piston – valve contact was at outside of valve pocket so we machined all pockets 0.10” out from old center. Re- checked balance and all matched. We did not touch bottom of pocket. When we checked clearances, there was at least 0.06” around all valves. Good and something to think about!

I found FerrariChat while trying to find out what a normal Dino compression reading was supposed to be. I was reading 110 and knew that was not right. I never got an answer but now I can tell the next guy: 160 – 165 psi. Test done cold, no plugs, throttle full open, no extra oil in cylinders, 8 compression strokes. I expected 150 – 170 so right on.

When I get back from New Orleans I will go back to talking about past fun and games with the car. The latest rebuild sucked up all the energy but now that I am driving to Vons Market and Home Depot with no dread, I can reminisce a little.

I take the camera along on my mileage building trips. Got a few nice pics. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Stunning car in a beautiful scenery! Interesting to read about your engine work.Any pics of that?

3. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Nevermind,found your previous posts!

4. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Beautiful!!!

Best of luck!!

5. Leweyb

Leweyb Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    East Hampton
    I'll buy it, right now...sell it to me

6. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Always loved the Dino. Just seeing those pics puts aside the wonders of why Dinos are selling for more than Boxers at the moment. Just beautiful.

As an aside, try GM Synchromesh in your gearbox. I believe Castrol does make a "knock-off" of it (that may be what you'd been using) but it's hard to fault the GM stuff. I know of many a notchy gearbox that it's turned silky smooth.

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    B R A V O ! ! ! ! B R A V O ! ! ! !

Beautiful