94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 25 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    I just came here to say that Ray Garbe at T.Rutlands was also very helpful to me in finding parts for my F355.

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I agree. Ray and Brian at TRutlands have been very helpful and honest guys. I just now got off the phone with Ray. The only problem with Trutlands is that the shipping department and sales don't always communicate well (sales are in Wisconsin, warehouse is in Georgia), but they always make it right.

Buckets likes this.
  3. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    Man, I would love to help them figure that out or improve it in some way. They have a good business.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Had not noticed these plugs before. Likely there for welding and/or spraying rust inhibitor into the frame.

This will go on my maintenance list for next winter.... pull all similar plugs and squirt LPS3 inside!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Auraraptor and Buckets like this.
  5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Rookie

Aug 23, 2016
    [QUOTE="Joe Rocket, post: 147186333, member:

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Rookie

Aug 23, 2016
    Am I the only one to appreciate the irony of a leaking gear oil drain plug being the impetus for this whole project, and the other gear oil drain plug found to be frozen in place?

7. Testerosse

Testerosse Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Italy or Germany
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I think they are to check for corrosion and eventually spray the Tuff-Kote or whatever corrosion inhibitor you prefer whenever you do the check/respray in accordance with the WSM. Mel did a good Thread on this.
    When there is a chance of your car getting in touch with moisture once in a while, I suggest to check at least on every service. My car had trapped water inside... came from Florida ;)

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I am so close. So close.

I had 3 error codes on the LH bank (cylinders 7-12). They were injector #4, injector #5 and 1211 which is Lambda regulation. If the injectors were not firing, it made sense that the lambda regulation was off (too rich). The car seemed sluggish. I took the injector power rail off all 6 injectors, sprayed each terminal with contact cleaner, blew them dry and applied Stabilant. I did the same with the round screw-on connector under the intake manifold. After putting it all together the car now runs perfectly! It is stronger than I remember (amazing what running on all 12 cylinders will do). It runs cool and NO CEL's! Problem solved relatively easily. I took it out for a delightful 40 mile drive. So it looks like this major is done...but... now I have a problem with the AC system. Aaarghhh! The Ferrari gods have no mercy.

2 days ago I charged the AC system and everything worked fine, the front AC condensor fans came on immediately (they were replaced in 2015 - search for my thread on that pain in the butt event) and ran normally throughout the 20 minutes of idling. 60 degrees at the vents at idle. Seemed good. After the first test drive the fuse to the condensor fan blew (20 amp). I checked the connections and replaced the fuse and it worked again for a few minutes and then the fuse blew again.

The fans should be pulling only 5.3 amps each. In the Dave Helms conversion the AC condensor fan circuit is outside the main fuse box and has it's own relay. Can a bad relay cause the fuse to blow? Any other thoughts? I can't bear the thought of pulling the front bumper off right now. Can I use a clamp-on ammeter to check the draw of the fans or should I just use my multi-meter across the fuse terminals?

I'm depressed. I was this close...

Qavion likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If a piece of metal breaks inside a relay, it can cause a short, and either of those methods would be fine for measuring the motor current (assuming you have a multimeter that can make a ~20A DC current measurement -- most can only do 10A). Have you had a visual look to just confirm that both fans are actually spinning, or a quicky feel to verify they spin freely without a lot of drag?

flash32 likes this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Steve, there is no visual or tactile access to the condensor fans in the 512TR without removing the front bumper. It's not difficult, just tedious and most likely inevitable.

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Bad fuse.
    Both fans were working and drawing 13-14 amps. Glow fuses kept blowing. Replaced with a standard 20A blade fuse and voila, problem solved, AC functional.

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Well, now we have a really big problem. I'm depressed. While out on the third low rev shakedown cruise, there suddenly came a high pitched metal on metal scream from the engine area, first intermittent, then loud and constant accompanied by the clutch pedal going to the floor. Shift into neutral, no change. I was cruising at 40 mph, not shifting, and the car was pulling strong up to this point..
    I immediately got off the road and shut her down. Visual inspection showed nothing amiss, no odors or smoke. No leak of clutch fluid. I got back in the car and the clutch felt normal again, a high firm pedal, and I could shift easily between the gears . I turned the key again and the same noise, so I immediately shut her off.
    It took 2.5 hours to get the AAA truck there for the 5 mile trip back home. She is back in the garage now, but I am depressed at the thought of tearing the exhaust and clutch apart again (and the rear valance and the air filter boxes) . Not today. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm so sorry to hear this. But don't worry, you had the balls to get where you are now, you will get through this. All will be fine.

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Yeah, but it was running so nice. I initially thought that the Hill Engineering throw out bearing had failed, but now my bet is something let loose in the pressure plate or clutch disc. We shall see.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    jim.
    this remembers me to my great old 3 cylinder 2 stroke kawasakis: sunday morning 1 hour riding and then 1 week repairing again :)

you could hear if the noise coming from the clutch?

what you mean exactly with this: going to the floor? so without pushing the pedal?

17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The noise started and I pushed in the clutch and the pedal went almost to the floor without resistance. I tried again and no clutch pedal, like it had lost all fluid. After stopping and poking around for 10-15 minutes, the pedal was normal again.
    I could not tell if the noise was coming from the clutch. I will have someone start the car in the morning (very briefly) with me listening.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think there is/was still some air in the system.
    but this is not the reason for making the noise :(
    could it be that the thrust bearing is worn out, pressed the slave cylinder back and when you pushed the clutch pedal it was not enough way until the bearing touches the pressure plate?
    I wonder just now ;)

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m not ready to really talk about it yet, but Hill Engineering is not on my good list right now for their timing belt bearings. I know that no one has ever had an issue, well maybe not anymore.

let us know what you find.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what have timing belt bearings to do with a clutch?

21. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nothing, you are right. But both supplied by Hill Engineering. I had issues...

Hudson Historics and turbo-joe like this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ah ok
    thank you for this info Tim

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sounds like maybe pressure plate failed?

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Hmmmm... would you please expand on that? I was under the impression that the HE belt bearings were better than the SKF.

25. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    as I mentioned above, I’m not ready to discuss anything. Hill has a stellar reputation.