94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 22 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #526 JIMBO, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    I then checked the anti-rollover valve. It is held on by a 10 mm bolt. Air passes freely in the upright position and not at all in the inverted position. The metal ball inside rattles easily. I sprayed a little Brake Kleen but there was no internal residue or grime. Back it went. Anti-evaporative system checked and fully functional.
    I wanted to splice a 3/8" inlet fuel filter in the line from the tank to the intake to prevent pieces of carbon from being sucked out of the tank as others have experienced, but as of yet I can see no easy way to do that without cutting into the formed plastic line. It did not seem worth it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    While fooling with the electric valves under the intake, these little "buffers" broke. The rubber was brittle. There is a stud on each end with rubber in the middle. I imagine they help to buffer vibrations. They are available for $13.08 from ricambi, but I used a #6 metric bolt and some rubber hose to approximate the same thing. On the original, one stud goes into the intake manifold and the valve is held onto the bottom stud by means of a strap and a lock nut/washer. Nobody can see it anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Then the LH front manifold was removed and the backwards exhaust gasket repositioned and all 13 mm nuts re-tightened. Then the two rear manifolds and gaskets were installed. There is minimal room to work and the middle bolts are the least fun to attach. But it is done.
    I'm not going to install the rest of the exhaust system until I am confident the engine runs and there are no leaks requiring engine removal (that would really suck).
    Looks like tomorrow I will just have to seal the engine and tranny drain holes, add the appropriate 4 fluids (motor oil, transmission oil, coolant and gasoline) and turn the key. I should put a fresh charge on the battery too. Wish me luck.

kartboy1234 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Exciting

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I probably should reconnect the ECUs before trying to start the car...

Auraraptor likes this.
  7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Well, slap me on the ass and call me Sally, I just ran into the first big set back in this major service.
    Today was the day to fill up the fluids, so all the drain plugs were removed, cleaned and fitted with new washers (come copper, others bonded seal type). Everything went well until I came to the transmission fill hole. It's a 12mm hex plug that faces the rear of the car on the back of the transmission housing, under the gearbox housing and right behind a frame crossmember. It was way too hard coming out, and sure enough, the aluminum threads in the block were all buggered up. I cleaned it all up, but when I tried to re-insert the plug, it was stripped. Many bad words were said. Luckily I had not yet filled the gearbox, so I should be able to remove the bell housing and starter, re-tap the hole and fix the problem. The stock plug has only 5 mm of thread, and there appears to be substantial virgin thread deeper in the hole. Grainger will have a new M22 x 1.5 hex plug for me Monday afternoon, with about 6 mm extra thread, so I will try this first before I start disassembling the bell housing. Bummer.
    I used a little Loctite 518 to make sure nothing leaks. I hate leaks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Here is the Red Line Gear Oil draining into the tranny through the culprit fill hole which is behind the bottom of the gear box and in front of the black frame crossmember. Impossible to use a tap without removing bellhousing. I was so close...
    I should have just filled both the tranny and gearbox through the upper gearbox fill hole. Another note to self.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I use one of those cheap $10 one quart hand pumps at parts store. All my sealing washers were solid copper. Heat them up red hot and they are annealed soft again.

xplodee likes this.
  12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The bellhousing and gears came off easily. First, the 13 mm bolts for the starter, then the 13 mm braided line for the hydraulic clutch, then the 13 mm nuts holding bellhousing to block and the two 10 mm cap nuts holding the perforated plate over the flywheel. There was then plenty of room to slide the whole assembly back and off (watch out for the two O-rings that seal the bellhousing to the block). Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    To get straight access to the transmission fill hole, I needed to raise the back of the engine about 3/4". That meant tasking out the two rear motor mounts and using the lift and the transmission jack stand very cautiously.

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    First I cleaned the threads on the plug with an M22 x1.5 dye until it threaded like butter. Then the m22 x 1.5 tap was greased to catch the aluminum shavings and carefully threaded in and out until I could turn it by hand. Then the grease was cleaned off and the process repeated. Due to the space limitations I had to turn the tap with a 15 mm wrench.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Now the plug threads easily and completely by hand. On Monday I will pick up a new M22 x 1.5 cap head plug from Grainger with more threads to hold tighter, although I'm pretty sure this original plug would work fine.

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I've also had a change of heart about the charcoal vapor canister. I plugged the intakes where vacuum is applied to the two electrovalves, taking them out of the system. I then removed the line from the roll over valve to the vapor canister and connected it to a fuel filter and then vented the line to atmosphere behind the rear wheel and away from the exhaust.
    The amount of vacuum generated by that big 12 engine under deceleration is significant and if one of those valves got stuck open it would not be pretty. It should be safe and not affect performance. I had to use a plugged brass "T" because I had no other union in that size.

ago car nut likes this.
  17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I am so close now.
    I got the new M22 x 1.5 hex head cap plug from Grainger. Note how much deeper the threads go on the new piece. It was installed without complications.

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Then the bellhousing/gearbox was reinstalled. The WSM calls for 53 NM torque. It went in smoothly. The remaining 2 quarts of Redline Gear oil were poured in through the top gearbox plug. It connects to the transmission so that any excess in the gearbox just drains down hill. That plug was replaced and snugged.

I tie wrapped the taped off harness from the thermocouple ECU to the main harness and then decided to remove the thermocouple cables and probes themselves for a neater look. The openings in the pre-cats will be capped off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Next the clutch hydraulic throw-out bearing line was bled using my Griots brake bleeder. You hook the tank to compressed air, creating a vacuum, then push the rubber end over your bleed valve, depress the handle so there is constant suction, open valve, wait 10 seconds for fluid to bleed out, then close bleed valve and done. An easy one man job.

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The battery was charged last night and the + terminal reconnected. The battery cut off switch was turned to the "on" position.
    Final checklist:
    Oil - check 3.0 gal or 11.5 liters Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil
    Transmission fluid - check 9.5 liters 0r 2.6 gal Red Line 57905 75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil (2 quarts NS (non slip), the rest plain)
    Brake/clutch fluid topped off -check.
    Clutch pedal high and firm - check
    Shifter moves easily through gears - check
    Coolant topped off - check 5.3 gallons (more will be added as coolant circulated through block) Evans Zero Pressure Coolant,

I'm missing something,,,but what?...oh yeah, gas. I don't have any premium around, so I'll get that in the morning. I wanted to turn the engine over a few times before start-up (hopefully), so I took this opportunity. Hand on key, turn... dash lights all come on (good sign) and...engine turns over briskly. Whew. No loud piston on valve noises, no rattles, everything spinning freely. No leaks.

Tomorrow, April 14, I will get 5 gallons of gas and let you know what happens. Wish me luck.

spider_s and flash32 like this.
  23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Wish you luck .. I have a 512 tr and on my bucket list is to do my own major and whatever else comes up while in there p ..but I don't have the space ..also seems like it would be nice to have someone that could help ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may look if the thread in the housing will full cover the thread at the bolt. if the thread of the bolt is longer then depris can go there on the boltthread and when you remove the bolt again this depris will damage/destroy the thread in the aluminum. so if too long cut the bolt

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Good point, Joe, but it's in now and I don't intend to ever take it out again. In the future if I need to change the transmission oil I will fill only from the plug in the top of the gear housing.