'93 TR Project (Need Engine & Gearbox) | FerrariChat

'93 TR Project (Need Engine & Gearbox)

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Rex71, Feb 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

I am thinking of changing the color

1. Keep it yellow

2. Paint it in Red

3. Paint it in Black

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    #1 Rex71, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,
    As some of you know I had a 360 before & currently have a 550 which I like a lot, but I always wanted to fulfill my dream of owning a TR.
    A few months ago I heard about one that needs an engine & some other repairs like fixing the front / rear bumpers &.the driver side mirror.
    I bought it for a good price after allot of efforts to transfer its ownership to my name as the previous owner is deceased & registration had to be renewed with new plates.
    With the car, came a big wooden box that has the engine parts (disassembled).
    When I finally got the time to open it & inspect the parts inside, I found that engine block has a hole in the top part probably caused by a broken crank shaft.
    Also, the gearbox top part has another hole, big chance that the gears might have some damage.
    The remaining parts like the exhaust, headers, heads, starter, alternator …etc are there & look OK.
    So, I got some offers to sell it. Best offers were in the range of $20K, but I am really eager to fix it & put it back on the road.
    To do that I am looking for a used block with the crank & pistons inside. No need for the heads & manifolds as I have them already.
    Also, I need a used gearbox or the help of some one who can repair the one I have.
    I have & still searching the forum to educate my self about the TR & how to cure the problems my car have, but Any help from you guys will be very much appreciated.
    Here are some pics:
    Regards.

Oh, one more thing: I am thinking of changing the color to either Red or Black, what do you guys think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Check FerrariAds, I think Napolis just posted a complete TR engine for sale for USD$20K.

Mike in Kuwait

3. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    I think you should keep it yellow. It looks beautiful in yellow even in it's current condition.

4. abunawafff

abunawafff Karting

Jul 11, 2006
    also euro spares. they had \n engine and gear for sale a while back

5. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Thanks guys,
    Appreciate your help & comments.
    I sent PMs & emails to members & websites that might have the engine/gearbox.
    Will keep you updated on the results.
    Regards.

6. kinnie

kinnie Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    Belgium - Aarschot
    Full Name:
    Kinnie Van Gelder
    Please keep your baby original and yellow, so beautifull. And at least THE original Ferrari color from all the colors !!!

7. BANANA

BANANA Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Yellow is also the colour of the best football team in K.S.A :)

8. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Majd

I would say keep it yellow. Its the original colour, and it really suits the shape. But at the end of the day it is your car and you should feel happy with the colour, whatever you choose.

9. FaisaL30

FaisaL30 Rookie

Feb 27, 2009
    jeddah / k.s.a
    Full Name:
    faisal al harbi
    plz Keep it yellow

10. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    I agree: please keep it yellow - it looks great that way. And good luck with the project of putting it back on the road!

BTW, would you mind sharing the VIN for my collection? That would be very nice.

Thanks and ciao,

Lars T.

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    As for color, I'm a fan of Rosso Dino myself. Best of luck with your new acquisition, there are some very helpful folks on this message board.

12. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Looks like it will be a huge project Majd! As for the yellow color, please keep it yellow! It looks gorgeous in that color!!

13. drf3576

drf3576 Karting

Dec 25, 2006
    Terre Haute, IN
    Full Name:
    Dane Frauenholz
    yes keep original....no matter the color

14. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Thank you all guys for your inputs.
    I am sticking with the Yellow color as most of you advised.
    Waiting to get some spare time to begin the repairs and will keep you updated with the progress.

Regards.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    An excellent decision, in my opinion. Keep the exterior as original as possible.

16. Telefonos de Mexico

BANNED

Nov 11, 2008
    Mexico Pueblos Oaxac
    Full Name:
    Raúl Campos
    I'd look at it from a point of a parts car nothing more much rather buy a car that is finshed, still it looks like a clean car that needs a couple of parts to get it back on the road but if you add up your time and labor (the time you spent in making phone calls, e-mailing people) and getting the proper engine used that has been fully bench tested as well compression tested, cold & dry and Hot & with proper oil levels, you might just find another car from the USA and send it your way !.

But if this is just a hobby for you best of luck with the car !

17. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I wish you the best of luck with the car, but I also agree that fixing the car is probably going to cost more than buying a complete example that has everything in order.

I have seen TRs (not 512 TRs) going for $40s and low $50s (USD wholesale) in decent condition for a while now. This is part of the reason I haven't even fixed the gearbox in my car, because I was quoted $20-30k USD to fix (and my engine and gearbox are in good condition, other than 1st gear).

This looks like a beautiful car, though, so if you decide to fix it, I wish you the very best of luck ;)

18. Telefonos de Mexico

BANNED

Nov 11, 2008
    Mexico Pueblos Oaxac
    Full Name:
    Raúl Campos

My thoughts exactly, however if I had the time to do something intresting with that I would look for a bare short block from another TR and have a professional do a .40 over on it if it's reasoniably possibile , take all of those extra parts to a machine shop and have them hot tanked as well magna fluxed to see what is worth keeping or trashing.

I would look into building up a free revving normally asperated TR as well adding the needed items

-40mm ITB's
    -crower pistions
    -carillo rods
    -knife edged the crank
    -lots of balance and blueprinting = couple of weeks in the bench test shop getting the tune right.
    -carbon cermaics rotors
    -6pistion brembo's front
    -6pistion brembos rears
    -full (FOTA) cage
    -recaro's - carbon back
    -stack tack
    -hollenger 6speed sequential box

Yeah, you could buy a ferrari that has got all of these items but these items can be sourced fairly cheap with the right conections.

Getting a Ferrari is not the problem, getting the parts and the spec's your way (Priceless)

19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Drop a Viper V-10 in the thing and a G-50....you'll be money ahead in the long run.

20. Telefonos de Mexico

BANNED

Nov 11, 2008
    Mexico Pueblos Oaxac
    Full Name:
    Raúl Campos
    Anyone know where I can get VP racing gas in Dubai, C112 ???

21. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'd like to know the price per gallon when you find it.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    He would have to stretch the car about 10 inches to do that. Firewall to to rear axle center is quite short. Hardly enough room for a V-8

The transmission and engine are stacked in a TR for that reason.

23. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    Plus I would like to keep it original.

Regards

24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004