928 s4 | FerrariChat

928 s4

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Edward 96GTS, Nov 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is market correct for a nice no issues 928s?
    a friend has an itch that needs scratching.

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    not a S4, ('87-'91), just a 'for instance' :) bought, tidied up, sold

Nembo1777 and Outrun like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm kind of thinking I want a 928... I want an early one, with no spoilers or the appendages that seemed to sprout on these cars with time... so a 78-80.

zygomatic likes this.
  4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Absolutely love that "Moss Green" color.

Even more absolutely miss my early 1987 928 S4 (was "guards red" over tan & black interior). Later had a "rubinrot metallic" (ruby red) 1983 euro spec "S." The earlier car was fun at higher revs, but? A quick look at the torque curve of the S4 will quickly show that it is pretty amazing from 2k revs to redline. Would look for another, but? Prices are finally showing some appreciation for the design.

p.s.? Never been in any car other than the 928 S4, where you could do a 500 to 700 mile trip, and not feel exhausted.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    612. Did it every day for five days in a row, a few days off, and five more days. West coast to east coast and back.

So I mention wanting a 928, and look what the BaT gods serve up!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-porsche-928-31/

Do 928s have a calendar recommendation for the timing belt? The seller says this one was done in 2005... seems kind of long?

tritone and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you’re looking for misery, I have a Jensen Healey that will cost you a lot less money and give the same or more amount of grief.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wikdstrate likes this.
  8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was figuring the 928 would cost a lot less than the C/4, and provide the same or more grief!

To be fair, you can't possibly put the 928 in the same league as any Jensen product, in terms of grief.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    What year S4, miles, auto or 5 spd? Prices are all over the board depending on these

I had a couple of them way back in the 90's and loved them.

Seems like there are always 4 or 5 on BaT (over priced cars on BaT imo).

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So I'm curious about that. There seems to be huge variation both in price and quality of 928s. There are some which have been literally sitting in someone's back yard under a tarp, and others which are pristine. The BaT cars tend to be less of the "project" variety, although the no reserve 82 which sold for $13,928 seems like an exception.

From what I can see, 928s are sort of like my Mercedes 280SE 3.5 coupe. The cost of making a poor one into a nice one, or a nice one into a perfect one, is huge. And as a result, you see really good ones sell for 3-4x what so-so or worse cars sell for. And given the high costs of "restoring" one, the expensive cars seem like a pretty good deal.

But I'm curious what you think of that.

tritone and Texas Forever like this.
  11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Don,

Take a look at this link, they are all over the board on BaT but I think still 20% higher there than anywhere else. I'm out of the loop but isn't the S-4 GTS the one to have now?

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=porsche%20928

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I guess it depends on where else you are looking. There are certainly 928s of dubious quality on craigslist, but again, see the high cost of restoring one.

As for desirability, low mileage 5-speed 78-80 cars seem to be bringing the biggest money, although the GTS is also up there. Automatics seem to bring the least.

As for the one to have, I guess it depends on what you want. Personally, I would like an early, unmodified car because I think they look the best and are the purest expression of the 928 (especially a no-spoiler car, although those are getting harder to find). I don't really care about having the fastest or best performing one, because none of them are that great compared with modern cars.

jjmalez likes this.
  13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I should add, I wouldn't buy a non-local car on craigslist without inspecting it in person, and probably taking it to a shop and having it professionally inspected as well. Under the right circumstances, though, I would buy one on BaT without seeing it in person-- done it twice before, and it's worked out fairly well both times. Actually, way better than expected once, and about what I expected the other time.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Between my SO and myself, we've had 5, all pre '84, all 5-speed; the PCNA Bonneville car included, as well as another PCNA Bonneville car which went to a high-school auto shop in Reno. Wifes car was a turbo modification by Callaway (the first one). Loved them all for touring. Supreme comfort over long periods. I want another one next year, but only going for an automatic this time; all of the PNW roads are too congested for me.

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    No spoiler, phone dial wheels? Perfection.

Yet they had to mess with it... :rolleyes:

16. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My brother has had about 30 928's. He hasn't gone below 85 S, a few S4's and a GTS or two. He follows the market and I'll ask him. My brother got into them from my dad. He bought a S new in 1985. Bought an S4 new in 1987.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    mikesufka, Texas Forever and BJK like this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So it needs new tires... it has 15 inch phone dial wheels, which are sort of cool and almost certainly original to the car. I don't have any plans to track this car, or anything like that (more likely using it as a daily driver and for some trips), so I'm thinking of putting Vredestein Sprint Classic tires on it. They make it in the OE size, and Tire Rack has it available for immediate shipping... am I crazy?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Sprint+Classic&partnum=16WR5SC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Is it going to look dorky with those tires on it?

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is the right rear area wrinkled?

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Congratulations!
    I had virtually the same car back in the '80's, only diff was interior color, mine was a beautiful chocolate brown with the Pasha psychedelic fabric.
    Loved the car (even after I had to replace the transaxle!)
    Sorry, yes, the V-tires look way dorky......if they could just lose the silly swirls in the sidewall all would be OK.........:)

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It certainly doesn't look like that to me (if you are talking about picture 36, that is a shadow). But I suppose I will find out when I pick it up.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, I have to agree with that... but I don't think they are any worse than the Comp T/As which are on there now.

23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    jjmalez likes this.
  24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I went with the Vredsteins. The people at the Porsche club will probably look down on me, but then since it's a 928, they will anyway!

Tentative plans to pick it up on Wednesday and drive home.

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don