Dino Saga 060129 _ 200 miles and no smoke! Motor mounts, clutch, 1-R shift | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060129 _ 200 miles and no smoke! Motor mounts, clutch, 1-R shift

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060129 _ 200 miles and no smoke! Motor mounts, clutch, 1-R shift

200 miles, no smoke, no oil leaks. Looks and feels good!

The usual details slowed us down all week. Split left half-shaft bellows was the start. Jack had a set in the loft. Pull the shaft back off, pull everything apart, back together, more grease, same 12 bolts back in again.

Kept on putting things right. Lot of pieces. Clutch cable was a problem. I changed it 7-8 years ago and had to modify things to get the helper spring aligned. Forgot to tell Jack the details so had to re-do clutch set-up. Pulled the rear motor mounts and inverted them so they matched Steve’s Dino and the pics from Fchat. Engine is tipped back slightly and is in the original position. Throttle shaft is the give-away.

The reason I knew mounts were fouled up after the 2004 rebuild was that the throttle shaft would hit the rear head on occasion. That turned the firewall into the greatest bass speaker you have ever heard. Sounded like the engine was coming apart; loudly. I had the 2004 mechanic cut 5 mm off the shaft in the interest of getting the car out of his hands quickly. Now there is lots of clearance and no problem with the linkage.

10+ years ago I pulled the heads myself and had valves re-done by the same guys that just did the engine. Front head just made it out; 1 mm to spare to the firewall. That may be one reason for the rearward tilt. Top clearance is another reason.

Thursday morning Jack called and said there were problems with transmission linkage. I went on down, Jack was swamped with other work and I offered to help. He loaned me a helper, I got my tools and started in. Turns out that adjusting nut in linkage was way off center and bottomed out against case before linkage was right. OK, pull pin, move nut 6 mm forward and try again. Bingo.

Spent couple of hours replacing bits and pieces and left looking forward to Friday. Jack had everything back together by 10 AM. He said try it! It needs gas and a little exercise.

It moved! Clutch not right yet. 2nd and 4th argue some but it sounded and felt good. Got some gas and headed back to the lift. Fixing clutch was fast. Transmission was not. Got 2-3-4-5 dead on. No way to stay in first but reverse was possible. Gave up and figured to worry about that next week. Had Champagne with dinner.

Studied the books on Saturday and figured that something slid in the transmission. No sweat to drop the bottom cover and look things over. On Monday. Drove the car over San Marcos Pass, back down, then a few round trips to Refugio Beach. Had a blast. 200 miles, no smoke, no oil leaks, it’s strong. Had to seat the rings, you know.

MUCH closer,

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    200 miles around this little town and I didnt see you running around !

Glad to hear its back together, it looks good in its parking place where it belongs. Congratulations !

3. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I'm blue with envy! Beautiful gal you got there :)

4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Stunning car. Looking forward to seeing a new "Dino".

Thanks for the photos.