91-year-old Arizona man breaks world record for bench press | FerrariChat

91-year-old Arizona man breaks world record for bench press

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 4re Nut, Jun 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 4re Nut, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Awesome, Pushing it to the limit: 91-year-old Arizona man breaks world record for bench press | Mail Online

What the most interesting man in the world will be doing at 91... ;) :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  3. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Super!

But I would tell him to ditch the bench press, one exercise that might lead to blowing a fuse. In a related note, Serge Nubret was setting the bar pretty dam high @ 70 until he did blow a fuse.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He's 91, I'm sure he's heard it all. I say do what the hell you want at that age.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Roid Age.

via rubber ducky

6. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    He started at 60, he was clueless and may still be. Nobody knew more than Nubret.

7. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Someone gives me advice about health at 91 after I bench 180 and I'd say go **** yourself.

give the man some props.

And get off his lawn.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Or he'll throw you off! :D

9. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    This is a discussion board and I doubt Sy is reading this, but my point is that the Bench is one of a number of exercises that raise pressure in the vessels in the brain. I have never seen anyone get done with a vigorous set and not look like a tomato.

Facts -- from the NIH -- "In essence, aging arteries form an alliance with risk factors for atherosclerosis, hypertension, and other precursors of heart disease and stroke to profoundly elevate the risk of developing these conditions."

Aged arteries coupled with exercise induced higher blood pressure along with the position of the head being at heart level increases the odds of Hemorrhagic Stroke. I wanted to start doing handstand push-ups but decided against it for this reason. (Handstand push-up - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Sy's longevity is due mainly to his good gene's, if it has anything to do with ability in the bench press I should be around to celebrate my 150th.

and the last time I checked, "Super!" was a complement.

10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    God Willing, That'll be me in....ahhhh...40 years

11. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    :D
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5k7useHtHw]91-Year-Old Sy Perlis Breaks Bench Press World Record - YouTube[/ame]

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  13. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    watch this: New Zealand Driver Still on Road at age 105 :D
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEzQzl5-ZA]Raw: New Zealand Driver Still on Road at 105 - YouTube[/ame]

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    But Serge was more a bodybuilder than power lifter. He also died at 72 - 20 years is a big difference!

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If you're 91 even I think it's ok to juice.

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Same.Except i gotta wait 59 yrs haha

17. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm a geriatric rehab therapist and once someone is up there, I don't tell them to quit smoking, drinking, etc.... If you made it that far, it's hardly time to change your ways.
    Good for him... he's stronger than me (but I bet I could kick his azz ;-) !!

18. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The real good thing to take from this video is that the human body can still keep the processes going fairly well at an advanced age. Sy is putting his body thru a lot at his level of lifting; joint stresses, muscle tissue breakdown, lactic acid build-up, and all the things internally - organs - that happen from resistance exercise.
    My original point and my clarification was that exercises like the bench press are pointless for most people. The best chest exercise is the old school pec deck, isolates the chest and doesn't stress the joints or your blood vessels. Sy, you, and me would be better off past a certain age doing that and avoiding the power exercises.

Everyone's goal should be the healthiest possible existence for the longest possible time.

Serge Nubret training at 70, amazing condition, yet he suffered a stroke shortly after this video was made and lingered for 2 years before dying. He was well known for his bench pressing.

Serge Nubret 70 Years Young training for his forth coming seminar in london - YouTube

When it comes to strength and exercise, I know what I am talking about.

19. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #19 Huskerbill, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    Hmmm. My dad was benching 200lbs as an 80 year old. He's now 87 and works out 4 days a week still with weights. To be fair, he started out as a world class athlete though. Back in the day he started at running back at Nebraska for a few years and was a world record holder in the low hurdles in addition to being the Navys top wrestler in his weight class. He has the genes for it.

Funny story.....he calls me up back when he was 82 and was like "Bill I've really been having horrible workouts lately. My weights aren't down all that much but my stamina gas really dropped off over the last few years.". I said "You're 82.". He says "I know but it's wasn't like this at 75 or even 80".

Long story short I asked him if he'd had his testosterone levels checked. He hadn't. Of course when he went in they were the equivalent of a 5th grade girl. So the doc got him on the biweekly shot and he is loving life. Called me the week after and said "bill I can tell why guys get hooked on this stuff. It's amazing. I feel like I'm 60 again!".

I was laughing.

In case you were wondering.....
    http://www.nebhalloffame.org/2000/moomey.htm

20. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Another inspirational story. If he were my dad I would get him off the bench press and other athletic event-like movements and onto less stressful muscle building exercises.

Genes - and the reason for my post -- read yesterday -- http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/how-exercise-changes-fat-and-muscle-cells/?ref=health&_r=0

I can see taking some "stuff" for staying alive at an elevated age, but not in the prime of life when it is just cheating. That stuff should be viewed the way insulin is viewed for diabetics.

21. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's how I want to be when I grow up :)

22. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I guess I'm thinking he is in his late 80s and doing better than most 40 year old American men. I'm thinking his reply to me telling him not to do something would sound something like "so let me get this straight......you bench press right? I've been doing this stuff for 80-some years and am fitter and stronger than most guys half my age in this country and you're telling me to stop? Is it because it's going to harm my health or kill me? I'll stop bench pressing when you do. You let me know when that is."

And that's how that would go. Ha!
    ;-)

23. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Bill, I saw this quote this morning in another thread;

I can also say first hand, that nothing on me is better than it was 10 years ago, not to mention 20 years ago, eyesight, skin thickness/toughness, and many other things ........

All these "inspirational stories" are nice to hear that some exemplary individuals can have at least some usefulness in their advanced years, but let's be real the 80's are nothing to look forward to. The plain facts are that most people are dead by 80, most still alive at that age are dependents or like the SWIFFER couple I see everyday on HULU. Every part and system in an 80+ year olds body is degraded by a large percentage including Sy the bencher and Bill's dad.

My post is not about your dad, Bill but a story I heard last night but I thought I would respond to you at the same time. Yes there is a good chance he will hurt his health doing the bench press and at his age healing will be a nightmare. I gave up benching a long time ago and I am much younger and was a lot better at it.

Another great story on GENES as it relates to physical fitness/athletics.

Interview: David Epstein, Author Of 'The Sports Gene' : NPR

So the 2 stories I have posted about new knowledge of genes would suggest you can turn on good genes that will affect you positively and you can pass them on if both parents are in peak condition at conception. Kinda like space seed stuff. very interesting.

24. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    "All these "inspirational stories" are nice to hear that some exemplary individuals can have at least some usefulness in their advanced years, but let's be real the 80's are nothing to look forward to. The plain facts are that most people are dead by 80, most still alive at that age are dependents or like the SWIFFER couple I see everyday on HULU. Every part and system in an 80+ year olds body is degraded by a large percentage including Sy the bencher and Bill's dad."

I dont buy any of that nonsence. Most young people who take care of themselves today are going to live into their 80s and sure its not like you were 40 or 50 or 60 or 70 but if you are lucky and have the right genes, you can still be relatively healthy and enjoy your life if you take care of yourself.

So try to stay in shape and keep fit. Just because you are into your later years doesnt mean that its over as far health and fitness. It is staying in shape, keeping your weight down, proper diet, not smoking and exercising that will allow you to do the things you enjoy maybe not as well as you could when you were younger but still pretty damn good.

You know age is relative. To the 50 year old 40 is young. To the 60 year old 50 is young. To the 70 year old 60 is young and on and on.

There is an old saying "Youth is wasted on the young". Dont let that saying apply to you. Enjoy your life and what you can do whatever your age.

25. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011

You don't have to buy it, it's just the cold hard facts and what I know to be true from my experiences.

FACTS:
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0105.pdf
    Sixty-Five Plus in the United States

50% of women and 33% of men reach age 80. IOW 2 out of every 3 men will not see 80.

25% of those 85 or older live in a nursing home, of the other 75% 1/2 of those needed assistance performing everyday activities such as bathing, getting around inside the home, and preparing meals.

Conclusions;
    That means only 35% of 85 year olds are self-sufficient. ( Remember only 20% of men reach 85). That means only 6% of men will reach age 85 and still be independent! That's a far cry from benching 200lbs. and that is reality