90 TR Twin Turbo build | Page 3 | FerrariChat

90 TR Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timemachine, Jan 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomcattmatt

Tomcattmatt Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Love the 16M wheels! What size are they? Makes it look super modern. Did you have to roll the fenders?

Great. Project!

Matt

2. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    The wheels are 19" in diameter, I think 8" wide upfront and 11" wide on the back...No lip rolling, however, would like to move the rear wheels in an inch but the caliper is only 3/8" away from the wheel..Going to try and do this in the future.

3. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    What a fantastic thread. Congratulations on the build, it looks truely superb.

4. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx Rusty,
    Stay tuned, should be picking up the pace once the kid gets back from college for Spring break.
    John

5. TomTR

TomTR Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Did you have to use any spacers or did the bolt right on with the 430 bolts?

6. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Hey Tom,
    Bolted right on, however, I used the Scud CCBs, so not sure what the stackup difference might be with the stock Testarossa rotors... Andrea at Taurino Racing and his guys were very helpful with the brake project. Got the wheels from Chris at Exoticarauto, really good guy.

7. TomTR

TomTR Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks! I will contact them. PS- those dyno curves are unreal! I just opened up my new-to-me TR on the highway for the first time this evening and was blown away by the torque along the powerband- and that was stock! I cant imagine what a full 50% boost would feel like. I agree with you on the Scud seats. Keep the photos coming and good luck.

8. Scuderia-F1

Scuderia-F1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders
    Very interesting project, and the car looks absolutely awesome with the 16M wheels & the new brakes!

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would say that those curves on the dyno are 100 % real ! ! ! with the 6-7 psi

so only because of your not imagining this power why you think that those curves are unreal???

when you try the aceleratuon of a TR first time you may think: WOW, like a rocket and can not imagine that it would go faster. but after a few time you get used to this and when you then try this 6-7 boost TR you will see a very big difference and also then the more acceleration and you think it will be the nonplusultra. then you may imagine when you have about 150 % more power than stock with about 19 psi. :)

have you ever been going with a turbocharded car? then you would see the pure acceleration when boost comes up. this is such a great feeling :) :) :)

10. TomTR

TomTR Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Joe- I am not doubting the authenticity of the dyno output- just very impressed by the results. My other baby is 930 turbo so I am familiar with the beauty of a forced induction engine, particularly when added to what is already a very impressive naturally aspirated assembly from factory. I was merely trying to express my excitement for this project. Cheers.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thanks for explaining tom. I really thought you doubt this dyno curve.
    so sorry please for missunderstanding :)

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very nice project, I love forced induction you just cant beat the gains! The wheels look great too makes me want a testarossa even more. Did you weight the car? Curious what it weighs in stock trim.

13. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    I love forced induction too, Harry Hruska, who owns Precision Turbo, and I are long time friends...Everything I own has turbos on it, boost is best!...Here's a link to the race car when we won Vegas with in 2010, it's a twin turbo hemi running on alcohol making about 3500-3800 HP.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGG-4Q1ZMw]Brad Personett Melanie Troxel Final GSA Pro Mod Las Vegas Nationals 2010.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

We ran again in 2012 in a car Don Walsh drove, it was a Don Ness built Mustang, went a best of 5.736 at 261.27 mph.

The CCBs and wheels were a big weight savings, I never did weigh the car prior to any mods, (wished I would have) when I got the car there was a Larini exhaust on it that did away with the cats...so I probably couldn't have got a real accurate stock weight...I asked the question on this forum and they were saying around 3700 lbs completely stock...I think I can get 300 lbs out of it while adding the turbos...Everything I can do to pull wait out I'm doing...i.e. ti fasteners, light weight hoses, trimming aluminum castings, etc...

I really like this Testarossa, how they built these cars is amazing...love all the attention to detail...i.e. wave washers and studs, hand ported runners, finely tweaked linkages. The thing just screams craftsmenship!

Need to talk to you about some driveline parts to help with the added power. PM when you get a chance...

14. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    wait ==weight, it's been a long day...

15. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #65 timemachine, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The titanium slugs showed up today for the turbine housing flanges. I'll get 2 flanges out of each slug. The grade 5 titanium will be machined with diamond cutting tools to give a really smooth surface finish. Sending an extra slug for spares, never know when u may need a couple extra and while the CNC is setup, why not?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. TomTR

TomTR Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #66 TomTR, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    timemachine- just wanted to thank you for the inspiration on the black wheels and for recommending Chris at Exoticar. He hooked me up with a set of black 19" scud wheels that I installed this weekend. Now saving up money for the CCBs!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpanz likes this.
  17. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Tom,
    I like it, was considering putting my Scud wheels on the Testarossa and putting the 16M wheels on the Scud....looks nice with the 10 spokes. I may just do this. I can help u out with the CCB stuff, there are brackets that need to be made...the front brackets are pretty straight forward, however, the backs are a little more involved. I've got pictures somewhere I'll try and dig up and forward them to you.

18. BlackTesta

BlackTesta Karting

Feb 24, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sebastian Fischer
    Well...it looks very strange...19" are too big!

19. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    I believe the overall diameter/height is the same,,,,the later/modern look is with shorter sidewalls....Mine now handles like a slot car...

20. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Great thread John,

Nice to see some pictures finally, especially with the detail level that you are sharing. Amazing.

All the best, Rob.

21. Craig Reed

Craig Reed Karting

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Craig Reed
    Very clean, professional fab work. Nice to see someone who is not afraid of the drive line.

Wheels look great!

22. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx guys, headed to Newman's place later in March to upgrade the diff and side cover, he's only 4 hours away, plus never been to Canada other than Montreal once...We are also going to change belts and idlers...He's the expert, my son and I are going there to learn...I think with taking the weight out and the power increase it'll hopefully be a wash on the driveline...Robert that quill shaft is a piece of art.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No .... the calipers and rotors are to small Sebastian ....

24. BlackTesta

BlackTesta Karting

Feb 24, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sebastian Fischer
    Not at all...it looks like a Hummer rollin´ on stupid 30" blings...

18" are the maximum on a testarossa...and they only look good, if the car is lowered slightly...

25. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Beautiful work isn't it John. And made of the best stuff possible to allow the flexibility required. You certainly won't have any issues with that part of your driveline. They have been used in racing M cars in Europe for over ten years and never has one broken or caused an issue.

I'd love to have the gearbox input shaft manufactured also as it's really the last weak link in the chain. A lot of load get's put into the splined nose of that shaft and a few have broken, but mostly when a 512M shaft has been used which isn't flexible enough.

My engineer says he can do them but needs a perfect sample to take all of the measurements from, and unfortunately I don't have one laying around.

Ferrari are not making that part anymore and sub contracting it out to a small engineering firm in Italy.