90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen | FerrariChat

90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Norris also made a reference to it as well.

But then back tracked his comments.

Ricciardo also mentioned in this hybrid era that it's 70% car and 30% driver a couple of years ago.

freshmeat, stavura, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Lewis’ fans won’t be happy!;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Nothing like trolling to stir up the ****, eh?
    Try this now:

Lewis Hamilton: Schumacher rubbishes Red Bull chief's claim Max Verstappen is superior
    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1358510/Lewis-Hamilton-Schumacher-rubbishes-Red-Bull-chief-Max-Verstappen-F1-latest-news?fbclid=IwAR31qQuWrSE6f_htHSA8-GgA7GsBizJANiY2lgGab9nVEX3OYA8wfnVbHsw

Hamilton deserves to be treated like Schumacher in Mercedes contract talks, says Massa
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-deserves-to-be-treated-like-schumacher-in-mercedes-contract-talks.10heEGYD6UtqLSv5syBRQb.html?fbclid=IwAR3Jq-a-N29-rgfgQybmpKA6WEBpRcByqhePdZRQle_s3pvJwUmoq_ONfww

ktu likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Verstappen said that not me #1
    #2 I am not a Schumacher fan whatsoever so it doesn’t bother me what is said about him!

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, it was for the sake of trolling, right ?

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Uh no- u and ktu posts Hamilton interviews, and teammates glorifying him compared to Schumacher but posting verstappen interview saying 90% would win in his car (whilst he adds not taking anything away from his talents) that is not okay to u?
    That’s just a different view point than urs which u don’t like apparently!

8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

9. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    of course he would say that. just as I sometimes claim my weight and bad luck holds me back in rental karts.
    if it was that easy, why would mercedes keep an expensive driver? similarly, if it's that much about the car, why is Albon unable to keep up with Verstappen? Vettel with Leclerc? why does any team bother with the highly paid drivers? Verstappen's just grumpy because he and his team can't keep up. Just like me in rental karts.

anyway, seen a couple pre-F1 videos of Hamilton. He was really good back then and presumably not worse now.

Need4Spd, Boomhauer, ktu and 2 others like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

No doubt a great driver. Clearly car is so dominant it’s incredible !

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  11. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Hamilton doesn't have anything else to prove. Max and Leclerc should be focusing on becoming future stars when Hamilton leaves. Maybe focus on driving for Mercedes.... oh wait I forgot if Max goes to Mercedes and win a championship it will immediately disqualify him from being great as the car is dominant. If Max ever win a championship in a dominant car, i can't wait for him to say "90% of drivers can win in my car"

william likes this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lets' see::
    Giovanazzi:: no unlikely to win WDC in W11
    Latifi:: no unlikely to win WDC in W11
    Grossjean:: maybe--but pushing it
    Stroll:: maybe--but pushing it
    Vettel:: probably not if driving like he is this year

So I see 4-5 out of 20 drivers unlikely to win WDC in W11 and that is well below 90%.

william and ktu like this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You forgot Bottas

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its not just the car. Its the package and how LH melds with the dominant car. Bottas was no slouch before merc. He was fast! But I think #2 drivers are always disadvantaged by the team. The car will be developed in the faster driver's direction. That only works for #2 if #1 and #2 have the same driving style. The team will tell #2 this change is faster because #1 proved it in laptime. But that does not mean it will be faster for #2. Max likes to ride the bucking bronco and the RB is being developed away from Albon who has a completely different style. RB is an example of how #2 losses. So if LH is in a different car/team that team synergy might not be as good. Bottas and LH qualy for example are often less than 1/10th sometimes 1/100ths. Now add in team synergy and strategy and you can make or break the merc #1 vs #2 formula.

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Subtle 'intangibles' are not evident to us. But are there and felt and dealt with by the drivers. In Bottas' case he has not as effective tire management at times as LH is what is spoken of in the paddock.

fatbillybob and william like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

He also makes a lot more mistakes and at times isn’t allowed to challenge Hamilton’s strategy, not that he would consistently beat him anyways

fatbillybob, william and ktu like this.
  17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    True. That can be the driver's input and or car setup forcing the driver to over drive the tires to obtain laptime that is supposed to be there. In that sense Bottas is doing fantastic vs. albon who is just lost in the woods. To me it is totally consistent that Max often complains his tires are going way while Albon rarely does. Eventhough I have amateur raced for decades I'm 100% self taught so much I just don't know or understand. It could be that RB's slow or reluctant replacing of Albon is because of these kinds of subtle differences. RB as a team want constructor's title 1st and driver's second. I bet they are having real internal struggles how to make the car fast for both drivers because both driver's have talent and should be able to bring home points. I think Perez is closer in style to Max than the Hulk. I bet if the Hulk got choose he would fall behind Max just like Albon.

DF1 likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In short, Bottas is the ideal #2 !!
    His brief is to finish behind his leader to gather the most points for the team.
    I think he excels in that position, and that he is a good driver.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agreed! If Rossberg was still there Max would have won more races because the merc's would slow each other down and maybe even take each other out. The smartest thing NR did was win and leave. The NR years were building in toxicity and it would not have lasted much longer. In many ways NR departure paves the way for LH to easily march through Shumacher's records. Merc team learned to control the drivers with rigid strategy like when Bottas wanted soft tires and could have put a challenge on LH and the Team said "No". The result of that is guaranteed Merc 1 2 and no driver fireworks keeping the Team peace. Merc is LH's team.

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1
    Rosberg was my favourite of the 2, but Hamilton was slightly above him.
    Mercedes became a quieter place after Nico left.
    I think he had achieved his personal goal anyway.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  21. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Whatever quotes the sore losers can grasp to diss Hambone. And the records fall week by week, day by day and year after year.

History is being made boys. It is what it is.

ktu and william like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes that’s why it works; barrichelo had understood that back in the days, same for patrese. 2 #1’s or wanna be 1’s never worked see Senna/Prost.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Nobody dissed him. Verstappen had an interview where he was complimentary of Lewis’ skill but also stated facts: the merc is amazing and no one can compete this year or next with them /Hamilton.

24. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Oh please. Bottas couldn't beat him in the same car. Alonso couldn't and Rosberg couldn't. The only one who could possibly challenge him is Verstappen. The rest of the fleet doesn't stand a chance. 90% my *ss. You want to contend that a Kyvat, Gasly, Raikkonen, Russell, Stroll, Perez etc. can beat him in the same car?

90 freaking per cent? Utterly delusional.

Boomhauer, Terra and william like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So far Bottas has 15 poles, 55 podiums and 9 wins to his name; that's not a bad palmares
    He would never have got that if had he not accepted his #2 position at Mercedes.
    He may still be languishing at Williams with no success.
    Instead, he is earning $7.5 M a year driving the best car in the field.
    What is there not to like ?

Terra likes this.