'89 mondial (s) on the market, question? | FerrariChat

'89 mondial (s) on the market, question?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jjmalez, Nov 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    hello,

there are three ferrari mondial t cabriolets for sale in my area (chicago) all three are 1989's. all three red/tan and priced between $37.9K and $49.9K

forza magazine buyers guide a few years back warned potential buyers to avoid the '89 model year due to the problematic 2.5 motronic injection "issues" anyone here have any thoughts on the 89's

thanks

joseph

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    2.5's are fine.

-Peter

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    My 1989 t cab runs great. Ran even better after I put new chips from Powerchip Group in it.

4. Eddie Cox

Eddie Cox Rookie

Oct 14, 2006
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Full Name:
    Eddie Cox
    it is probably because the ape man wants a few extra bananas. his buddies are running up the bid to squeeze the extra juice. when they all come out of the ether it will probably get relisted a little more on the money.

5. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Shills, repeats and then bogus second chancers on every F car.

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    my 89 is a fine reliable runner, ther are threads here that say the major diff in 2.5 and 2.7 is related to emissions , not reliability. I like the 89 since it does not have the wierd "submarine" crash pads in the dash nor the weird rear seat belt configuration. my 2 cents

7. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
  8. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Amen.

9. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    JJMalez - one of those '89 Mondials is one that I am representing. I'd be happy to discuss it with you. 630 567-0066
    Thanks,
    Ron
    www.ronsusser.com

10. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    There are two Mondis at Steve Harris Imports, last I checked - a cab and a coupe.

www.ferrarisales.com

Woops - just checked, and the cab is sold. It was a 91, though. There is an '89 T-Coupe listed at $42.9k.

11. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    The cab appears to be sold.
    Ron

12. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    There is an upgrade to the 2.5 that is recommended isn't there? Would have thought everyone was done by now.

13. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Now all the fairy tale second chancers descend.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I made the highest bid on an 88 cab last week, reserve not met though. I got a grand total of 4 second chance offers within 24 hours, NONE of them from the actual seller! Tried contacting the seller, and they did not reply. The car is now re-listed. Anyway, I guess people must actually fall for these scams or else people wouldn't take the time to attempt them.

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    CASE FOR THE '89 "T" MONDIAL;

this car was a ground breaker for Ferrari, represented many firsts for Ferrari as I understand:

First with power sterring
    First with three position adjustable shocks
    First with tansverse gearbox
    First mid-engine 4-seat cabriolet
    First "valeo" style automatic

Was kind of a test mule of sorts I guess. might be more innovations or first for ferrari cars but these are some I read about. Might be engine firsts as well but I think they don't count since they were shared with the 2-seat 348

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    All of the above are correct except that there were earlier Mondials that were cabriolets before 1989. I believe that 83 was the first year for the cabs.

17. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    thanks for the correction, mondials are pretty unique cars

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep, I drive my "test mule" every day! <grin>

The reason why the 2.7 was introduced was that the Federal emissions requirements tightened for 1990 model year cars. Not only for reduced tailpipe emissions, but primarily for a longer duty cycle (time/miles). Bosch incorporated self diagnostic functions into the ECU's for the 2.7.

The actual functional differences between the 2.5 and 2.7 Motronic (integrated fuel and ignition management system) ECU's, at least from the driver's seat, are minimal.

I've found the 2.5 cars to be reliable and without "finicky troubles", perhaps with less warnings and alarms than the 2.7 cars.

I'm aware of a few early Mondial campaigns such as the shift cables and the oil pump tensioning update, but a call to a dealer should tell you if they've been done.

-Peter

19. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
  20. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Very nice mondail T cab there lusso! I love 'em....you should keep the T and sell the 355. You will miss the T bad....ask me how I know...

Anyway, on VERY important recall on the early mondial T was the SS fuel lines from the factory had alum. fittings that tended to deteriorate and leak. I am pretty sure all of them have been replaced as they could leak and start a fire.