‘87 TR: Pulled Fuse Panel Today | FerrariChat

‘87 TR: Pulled Fuse Panel Today

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Sep 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Will update this thread with pics later. Pulled the fuse panel today and am VERY happy I did. I think my earlier issue of the car not revving after a couple wide open throttle runs is because if the fuse board, but wont know till after.

Regardless, three connectors are burned (K, J, X), theres some repair work done previously (the radiator fan relays are located off the board) and the panel itself is totally delaminating.

I cant believe people argue about how best to repair this, its obvious: get a modern PCB and move on with life. Relocating relays, etc etc just seems a waste, the root cause of the problems is clear as day: bad connections due to the ancient board tech and old solder holding it all together.

peteficarra and tf308 like this.
  2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wanted to add that I already knew about the previous repair work, but the burned connections were new to me.

Pics attached.

Can anyone comment on the melted ground on connector B (second pic below) Two ground wires terminate on the third connection down on connector B, these suffered some damage. I’d like to replace the wiring but don’t know where to pull from. Tried tracing it on the wiring diagram but it didn’t help much. It goes to the hazards? The second wire in this terminal is the ground for the hood light when you open the hood with the car’s lights on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    That is an unusual one to have trouble with (yours is the first report AFAIK). The large black wire is a large ground wire that is involved with much of the headlight lifting relays operation, the headlight switch operation, runs off to the flasher, and a few other places. It should come directly from the multi-position-spade ground metal bracket in the passenger footwell to the B connector (photos courtesy of 302Tim):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (As you noted, the small black wire there is just a branch that goes off to the front under bonnet light.) Your report of "delamination" might be the source of the trouble, but if someone wrongly put a ...113 relay (instead of a ...101 relay) in any of the E, C, F, or D relay positions that might also cause a not-fuse-protected direct short and put a wire melting current on that large black wire.

Your other k, y, x troubles are all the usual suspects: AC power, fuel pumps, and water fans.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Messed up the last sentence a bit (and my short 20 minutes to edit has elapsed) -- should've written:

Your other k, y, j troubles are all the usual suspects: AC power (k), fuel pumps (y), and water fans (j).

xplodee and Grease Donkey like this.
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Steve-

Thank you! You just saved me a ton of time in repairing this damage. I really appreciate it.