87 TR: Heres a weird issue, I think | FerrariChat

87 TR: Heres a weird issue, I think

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Car has been running well for about 1k miles. Within the last couple weeks I uncovered an issue when full throttle accelerating: car will lose power and fail to rev from around 5k to 6k. Can happen lower, can happen not at all. But its always full throttle acceleration, as in when I’m out having fun.

If it happens and I back off the gas and let it just relax for a bit, I can rev up again normally but not necessarily at full throttle.

It is running on both banks. There is ZERO sound difference. It just wont rev, and it can be fairly abrupt when it happens (as in your no longer pushed into your seat so you sure notice it).

My assumption is this is fuel related, but what would affect both banks like this? Could it be something relating to the fuse panel? I inspected it and aside from prior damage and repairs, all seemed fine.

Bullet points:

• I will be replacing fuse panel this winter. There has been some work to it but it focussed around the radiator fans.
    • Fuel pumps, hoses, filters, injectors were all replaced in April
    • Ignition coils, modules, cables, extensions, plugs were all replaced within the last year. Ecu’s checked out as well.
    It is so predictable that the car easy enough to drive daily but the problem needs to be resolved. I don’t enjoy a TR that cant handle a good whooping when I want to (as in constantly).

Ready to start trouble shooting, just need some leads. Thanks to all for listening

T

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are sure that both banks slow down? not only 1 bank. so as if the engine only runs on 6 cylinders?
    what is when you only rev the engine without driving?

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I suppose one bank could be running and one bank starving, but when I last experienced that type of condition it felt different.

Next time I encounter the problem, I will shift to neutral and rev without the drivetrain engaged and report back- I don’t know what happens in that condition.