'87 TR Block cooling system pressure testing | FerrariChat

'87 TR Block cooling system pressure testing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by plip, Aug 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Good day

since have had funny issue with the cooling system on my TR (Fans start but do not switch off if the car is not moving),

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/87-tr-cooling-issues.552371/#post-145380991

have decided to pressure test the block since having it out for the major. First of all many tks to Vincenzo for his time and advice on how to properly set the block for the testing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Have then filled the block from the upper hose with distillate water and pumped in air at 1.3 bar. Do not have any leak at all at the gaskets, or at the hoses or at the water pump. However, the pressure drops as flws:

After 5 mins
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

after 10 mins

after 15 mins

after 19 mins

For how long is the system suppose to hold pressure ?
    What is an acceptable drop in pressure over time ?

Best,
    Gianni

Attached Files:

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I'd say that's fine. Pressure testing is mostly looking for leaks at the water pump more or less. When it's installed the pressure leaks out faster anyways as the temperature of the coolant changes.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    from 1,3 bar to nearly 0 bar in about 20 minutes? not a good sign. you filled the water system completly full with water? I don`t think so and somewhere air was coming out. so please check again before engine goes in

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    well, the block was filled with water from the upper hose until water was coming out. There is certainly a small amount of air in the upper part of the block but that's minimal . Could try and used a longer (or a 90 deg) upper hose to get rid of all the air but have the feeling will not solve the problem. The pump hose was blanket with aluminum plug turned on a lathe and so was the outlet which goes to the heating system . The upper hose was used to connect the hand pump for testing. BTW the hand pump is not loosing pressure since tested, meantime, on another car of mine, and the pressure dropped by abt 0.3 bar in more than half an hour. I do agree is not a good sign but we are going back to square one. Where is the water/pressure going if see no leaks ? When the engine was in the car the level in the expansion tanks was below the level suggested by the manual but the car did not consume water. Had no white smoke at the exhaust. No water drop on the oil stick. No water in oil. The only funny symptom had where the rads fan . They started correctly upon temp went or on abt 90 deg C. The temp dropped but not enough to switch them off if the car was not moving (i.e. getting additional air on the rads). Will also try and pressure test the part of the cooling system left in the car for my piece of mind, but really, my concerns are now with the block.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Get some cheap hoses for pressure testing. The scuderia are far too nice!

Put the 90 on the top of the engine and fill to the brim with distilled water.

You definitely have a leak. The engine should be tight. A small change (0.1 bar max) up or down is ok, but bleeding off is not. 0.1 bar over 24 hrs is a potential reflection of temp changes in the shop rather than a leak.

If you do not see a leak (check inside the cylinders with a usb camera) at a fitting or water pump drain port then it is highly likely in your test apparatus. Test with shaving cream for an air leak at your fittings.

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Problem solved. Now holding at 1.3 kos for more than one hour with no pressure loos nor leaks whatsoever. Will let it sit overnight just in case. Vincenzo was (again) right. An OR in the threaded pump cap was letting air out.
    Incidentally after checking with USB camera noticed that piston in barrel number 9 is much, much cleaner than the others. Suppose that if this would have been caused by water getting in the combustion chamber it would show either as water in the barrel or as a loss of pressure. So have to figure out the reason for this.